FD on Flat Bar Road Bike

Dan Brussee

Guest
I need some advice. Ive been through what I have in the spare box and have not found a good fit. I
need a front derailleur for a road frame that I have put a MTB 44T large crankset on. I am using
flat bar Shimano Rapid Fire shifters (8sp by the way).

My problem is the clearance between the seat tube and the rear tire is very small. Typical of a road
bike. There is maybe 3/4" of clearance.

I have tried a Deore with Top/Bottom pull design and it is WAY too deep behind the seat tube. A
brand new LX top pull top swing is "just" able to clear the tire. It has maybe 1/4" clearance at
full swing and I really should angle the derailleur just a hair more, but that would make it
even closer.

Would a bottom swing derailleur do the trick? Is there something I am missing entirely? Im trying to
do this on the cheap since one of these days I will be switching to drop bars and road cranks, but
for now I want to stay with the flats.

Thanks, Dan

On Thu, 21 Aug 2003 00:13:28 GMT, Dan Brussee <[email protected]> wrote:

>I have tried a Deore with Top/Bottom pull design and it is WAY too deep behind the seat tube. A
>brand new LX top pull top swing is "just" able to clear the tire. It has maybe 1/4" clearance at
>full swing and I really should angle the derailleur just a hair more, but that would make it
>even closer.

If you can use a braze or 31.8 clamp, I have just what you need. It's a Sachs will shift the
44,46,48 large ring on a road bike. $20.

Should you change your large ring to a 46, a current 105 with some of the front part of the outer
cage ground down can work for a double. The problem with the 44t ring with a road derailleur is that
the inward movement of the derailleur cage can be limited by the chain stay.