fear of being crushed

bandofmercy

Aug 25, 2006
lately i've been somewhat anxious about being crushed, particularly by a car. i'm pretty comfortable with (safely) weaving through dense city traffic, i don't turn right in front of buses, etc... does this ever happen to anyone else?

Sometimes I worry that a large NEO will hit the moon, reducing the energy in its orbit, causing the moon to crash into Gary, Indiana.

Reactions: shoppyking
I grew up not too far from Gary, IND, so a meteor or something of that nature hitting it wouldn't be all that bad. :D

It will become much easier when you realize the cars aren't really there.... the same as bending the spoon.

Not really I tend to play it safe. Not really into testing things like this. Not turning right in front of buses is a good rule. Making eye contact with people in cars is a good one too before you pull out in front of them. Let them go first.

The solution lies in your brain. Think that everyone is going to hit you and you need to save yourself from everyone else on the road. That way you can overcome that fear of yours.

I get the odd sudden surge in fear of getting hit by trucks that pass me sometimes but that's about it. I think when I was younger I was quite nervous of getting crushed by trucks but then again I was nervous of a lot of stuff back then!

It's a natural fear considering a lot of people drive like they're crazy and are inconsiderate to everyone else around them. Just be very watchful and pay attention to your surroundings.

After seeing several videos/GIFs of horrible accidents I have to say I have this fear as well, but it isn't as bad as my fear of being doored while going down a decline. The helplessness in both of those situations makes me grateful every day I get home without any kinds of injuries.

Defensive cycling is how I manage it though. If I feel unsafe I'll simply take up the entire lane until I do feel safe. The honks from behind are only encouragement to me.

I do worry about getting hit by larger vehicles and trucks coming in from behind. Since I always have visibility of vehicles coming in from the front and the sides, I'm not terribly worried about those. I've got good reflexes and know I can quickly swerve and avoid an oncoming vehicle. It's those vehicles coming in from the back that always worry me, as they are not visible unless I keep turning my head to look at them.

Quite often I feel like I will fall under cars or buses. But it's not because of my safety levels, i feel confident in the roads but you know that weird feeling like standing in a very tall building or valley and looking down, it tugs you down.

It's something like that, like there's a vacuum or something.

I don't really fear being crushed or having any sort of accident to be honest. I know that I ride as safe as I can, but at the same time I can't do anything about other road users.

I'm as aware as I can be at all times but I also know that accidents do happen. Then again if we was scared of accidents we'd never step out of the house.

pwarbi said:
I don't really fear being crushed or having any sort of accident to be honest. I know that I ride as safe as I can, but at the same time I can't do anything about other road users.

I'm as aware as I can be at all times but I also know that accidents do happen. Then again if we was scared of accidents we'd never step out of the house.
I quite like this line of thinking and yeah it's true. We can do our best to be as safe as possible on the roads but it's just other idiots out there that we cannot control. All we can do is just be vigilante.

I wasn't on a bike but yesterday while driving I encountered a truck rounding a corner waaaay too fast and was leaning over at an angle of degree you do not normally see. I just wish I had a dash cam at the time because I would post a picture from it.