Fear of Klein airheadset

supergrill

Feb 24, 2004
I have been looking for a new ride for quite a while and had pretty much decided on a Klein Q-Pro XV. I really like the ride feel, looks and geometry/fit (longer top tube etc.) better than anything else I had tried.

I then really took notice of the headset/fork. I guess that I am very leary of getting into something that is proprietary like that on something that I am likely going to have for a long time. I know that Reset makes conversion kits, but the idea of having an adapter and even then just having one source for a major component (headset) sounds very limiting to me.

I was just looking for some feedback either alleviating my fears or accentuating them on this matter, as this seems to be the main thing holding me back from purchase. :confused:
Thanks.

Originally posted by supergrill
I have been looking for a new ride for quite a while and had pretty much decided on a Klein Q-Pro XV. I really like the ride feel, looks and geometry/fit (longer top tube etc.) better than anything else I had tried.

I then really took notice of the headset/fork. I guess that I am very leary of getting into something that is proprietary like that on something that I am likely going to have for a long time. I know that Reset makes conversion kits, but the idea of having an adapter and even then just having one source for a major component (headset) sounds very limiting to me.

I was just looking for some feedback either alleviating my fears or accentuating them on this matter, as this seems to be the main thing holding me back from purchase. :confused:
Thanks.
It's not like there are not other frame options that would work as well. I avoid proprietary stuff.

On the other hand, you may as well evaluate whether there's an accumulation of complaints from Klein owners. Proprietary stuff can be problematic, and there's still a lot of consumer worry about integrated headsets, so your concern is understandable...

...but Kleins are popular enough that you should be able to derrive an answer from the ridership out there. Who's had trouble with a Klein integrated headset?

Originally posted by supergrill

Thanks.
Congrats on wanting a Klein. Now stop worrying and go buy one! Trust me MINES LIKE GODS GIFT TO US MORTALS

Originally posted by lokstah
Who's had trouble with a Klein integrated headset?
In answer to ur ??.....No trouble whatsoever! She moves like a dream, hey wait is she my dream? Some one slap me quick? Enuff said!

It worried me too, but not enough to change my mind. It's a damn good headset and better designed than any standard integrated headset that requires the cups to be built in to the head tube.

Most headset failures are from the front wheel running in to something, not from normal use or even from extreme use.