Fear of road bike

eva14

Jul 22, 2013
I've been cycling for a year with a trekking bike, then changed to clipless pedals and have cycled everywhere with no particular problems... Just a little fear in the beginning but everything turned out fine.... Now I' ve bought a wonderful road bike, have fallen once, now sitting on my couch looking at it, wondering why I am afraid to ride it? I have instability when braking , unclip , until I put my foot down....I start wonder whether the saddle is high...

"I have instability when braking , unclip , until I put my foot down....I start wonder whether the saddle is high..."

Have a shop look over how you fit on the bike, if you haven't done so already. If the shop thinks you are in a good position on the bike, practice stopping and unclipping in a grassy field.

You could also fit a pair of conventional pedals to your road bike as you get used to the new position.

CAMPYBOB said:
"I have instability when braking , unclip , until I put my foot down....I start wonder whether the saddle is high..." Have a shop look over how you fit on the bike, if you haven't done so already. If the shop thinks you are in a good position on the bike, practice stopping and unclipping in a grassy field. You could also fit a pair of conventional pedals to your road bike as you get used to the new position.

Thank you Campybob, I visited the bike shop and decided to lower the saddle just 5 mm.... This was a big difference, today I rode my bike , no instability with the clipless... When I get used to it, I will set the saddle again at the original bike fit height.... Just a matter of overcoming my fears I guess...