Feathering breaks on corners/ descend corners

Uawadall

Jun 14, 2015
I often hear how you should always break before corners, especially when descending. However, I have feathered the breaks through downhill corners many times. My last ride, my technique felt very sharp on corners and I feathered on nearly everyone with a bend. I only use the rear break while doing this.

Is it a bad idea to gently feather on corners? Do you ever do this?

As stated here, neither brake is your friend in a fast corner and the closer to the limit you get the less of a friend they are:
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

The tires are already loaded up by cornering and any more loading under braking can mean exceeding the limits of adhesion and...crashing.

Now, below the limits of grip you can use a brake as a drag or speed control.

Despite dire warnings of blown tires, shredded carbon clincher brake tracks and all that, minor adjustments in speed can be done by gently squeezing the brakes just a little. I still think it's better to try and set up for a corner before I get to it. Brake before the entrance.

As stated here, neither brake is your friend in a fast corner and the closer to the limit you get the less of a friend they are:
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

The tires are already loaded up by cornering and any more loading under braking can mean exceeding the limits of adhesion and...crashing.

Now, below the limits of grip you can use a brake as a drag or speed control.

Despite dire warnings of blown tires, shredded carbon clincher brake tracks and all that, minor adjustments in speed can be done by gently squeezing the brakes just a little. I still think it's better to try and set up for a corner before I get to it. Brake before the entrance.

Thanks for the input, I will save doing this for emergency situations.

Feathering to control a gap to a rider that you are closely following or air-braking or adjusting your line to into or out of a slipstream are all valid speed controls. Use them wisely and before you absolutely are forced to. And as stated, near the limit everything gets a lot more risky.

In the final analysis only you know your limits. We've all seen guys get it all wrong long before the limits of physics were approached. You sound like a smart guy, U. I'm sure you're using your brain and learning things with as little loss of skin and paint as possible!

Ride safely and start shopping for some good Winter riding gear.

Feathering to control a gap to a rider that you are closely following or air-braking or adjusting your line to into or out of a slipstream are all valid speed controls. Use them wisely and before you absolutely are forced to. And as stated, near the limit everything gets a lot more risky.

In the final analysis only you know your limits. We've all seen guys get it all wrong long before the limits of physics were approached. You sound like a smart guy, U. I'm sure you're using your brain and learning things with as little loss of skin and paint as possible!

Ride safely and start shopping for some good Winter riding gear.

You know, for as bad as cold weather riding feels sometimes, they're many positives. I've not been going to the bike club much, but will be going on Saturdays again. Company and friendly competition makes the cold bearable. Nashbar is a great site, just ordered the new cycleops magnus smart trainer(should arrive early December, backorder) for 455. I'm going to finally get to try Zwift. You enjoy the winter riding to come as well!