Federal diet guidelines to purée low-carb craze

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by Tcomeau, May 30, 2004.

  1. Tcomeau

    Tcomeau Guest

    http://www.omaha.com/index.php?u_np=0&u_pg=1642&u_sid=1107076

    Federal diet guidelines to purée low-carb craze

    THE BOSTON GLOBE

    BETHESDA, Md. - Americans should ignore trendy low-
    carbohydrate diets and focus instead on cutting calories by
    avoiding supersize fast food in favor of lean meats, low-fat
    dairy products, and fruits and vegetables, according to
    draft government dietary guidelines.

    The report, written by 13 independent scientists, is the
    template for sweeping changes under way in the nation's
    nutritional policy, which could bring about major shifts in
    how Americans buy and eat food. The guidelines are rewritten
    every five years, but the nation's obesity epidemic has
    given the task greater urgency this year.

    The scientists, who are advising the federal agriculture and
    health departments, discussed their report in public for the
    first time during a meeting Wednesday. In a swipe at in-
    vogue diets that seek to eliminate single categories of
    food, the federal panel stated in the report: "The strategy
    for weight loss is not to focus on the proportions of fat
    and carbohydrate in the diet."

    The Dietary Guidelines Advisory Committee asserted instead
    that less food and more exercise are the essential
    components of a healthy, slimming diet. Recent studies have
    indicated that low-carb diets reduce weight over the short
    term, but their long-term staying power has not been proved.

    ***************

    The "scientists" who say that you should ignore low-carb
    diets are:

    Dietary Guidelines Advisory Committee: Dr. Janet C. King
    (Chair), Dr. Lawrence J. Appel, Dr. Yvonne L. Bronner, Dr.
    Benjamin Caballero, Dr. Carlos A. Camargo Jr., Dr. Fergus M.
    Clydesdale, Dr. Vay Liang W. Go,
    Dr. Penny M. Kris-Etherton, Dr. Joanne R. Lupton, Dr.
    Theresa A. Nicklas, Dr. Russell R. Pate, Dr. F. Xavier
    Pi-Sunyer, Dr. Connie M. Weaver

    ***************

    Details of these "scientists":

    Janet C. King, Ph.D., University of California, Berkeley,
    Department of Nutritional Sciences and Western Human
    Nutrition Research Center, US Department of Agriculture,
    San Francisco. Research on zinc absorption partially
    supported by Mead Johnson Nutritionals (Bristol-Myers
    Squibb Company) (Am. J. Clin. Nutr. 2000;71:523-9) Research
    on zinc metabolism in women partially supported by a gift
    from Bristol-Myers Squibb/Mead Johnson. (Am. J. Clin. Nutr.
    1997;65:1810-9)

    Lawrence J. Appel, M.D., M.P.H., Division of Internal
    Medicine, Department of Medicine, Johns Hopkins School of
    Medicine, Baltimore,
    MD. Consultant to Tropicana. (http://www4.nas.edu/webcr.nsf/CommitteeDisplay/FNBX-H-
    01-04-A?OpenDocument; accessed 1/6/03) Receives research
    grants from King Pharmaceuticals (www.ama-assn.org/sci-pubs/sci-
    news/2002/snr1218.htm; accessed
    8/18/03)

    Fergus M. Clydesdale, Ph.D., Professor and Chair, Department
    of Food Science, University of Massachusetts, Amherst, MA.
    On the Advisory Board of Tufts' Nutrition Navigator, a
    website underwritten with a grant from Kraft.
    (http://navigator.tufts.edu/about.html; accessed
    8/18/04) Science advisor and member of the Board of Trustees
    of the International Life Sciences Institute (ILSI)
    1990 - Present [as of September 2000]. (Resumé on
    file at CSPI, received Sept. 2000) "Strategic
    Research Alliance at the University of
    Massachusetts in Amherst. For $5,000 a year,
    companies can use the food-science department's
    pilot plant and consult with the faculty on recent
    developments." (Wall Street Journal, 5/6/97) Member
    of the 2000 Board of Trustees and Treasurer for the
    International Food Information Council Foundation.
    (http://documents.guidestar.org/2000/521/709/2000-
    521709212-1-9.pdf; accessed 1/8/02) Member of the
    Science Advisory Board of the American Council on
    Science and Health (ACSH)
    (http://www.acsh.org/about/advisors.html; accessed
    1/8/03). "[O]n the Board of Sensient Technology,
    Inc. and serves on the technical advisory board or
    consults in some capacity for a number of food
    industry groups. He also holds [or has held] stock
    in several food and food-related companies."ttp://www4.nas.edu/webcr.nsf/CommitteeDisplay/FNBX-
    H-01-05-A?OpenDocument; accessed 1/6/03)

    Vay Liang W. Go, Professor, School of Medicine and
    Associate Director for Research and Education, Center for
    Human Nutrition, University of California, Los Angeles, CA.
    Study on Cholestin funded by Pharmanex (Am. J. Clin. Nutr.
    1999;69:231-6).

    Penny Kris-Etherton, Ph.D., R.D., Department of Nutrition,
    Pennsylvania State University. Consultant to Campbell Soup
    on Intelligent Cuisine line (10/96, CSPI conversation with
    Campbell). Studies on chocolates (stearic acid) and
    cholesterol levels were supported by the American Cocoa
    Research Institute (an arm of the Chocolate Manufacturers
    Association). (Am. J. Clin. Nutr. 1994;60(Suppl):1029S-36S;1037S-
    42S) Using PRNewswire (6/23/99), IFIC, the industry-
    sponsored International Food Information Council, suggested
    that journalists interested in trans fat call Kris-
    Etherton. On Nutrition Advisory Panel of the American Egg
    Board (1998).//web.archive.org/web/19991103230056/http://aeb.org/aeb/aeb-
    sources/science.html, 1999) Study on monounsaturated fats
    was supported by the Peanut Institute. (Am. J. Clin. Nutr.
    1999;70:1009-15) Research on lipid and lipoprotein responses
    to different diets partially supported by Abbott
    Laboratories. (Am. J. Clin. Nutr. 2000;70:839-46) Research
    on the effects of folate and vitamins B-12 and B-6 on serum
    total homocysteine (tHcy) supported by Campbell Soup
    Company. (Am. J. Clin. Nutr. 2000;70:881-7) Study that
    compared meal plans and self-selected diet in relation to
    cardiovascular risk reduction supported by Campbell Soup
    Company. (Am. J. Clin. Nutr. 1997;66:373-85) Study on the
    benefits of a prepared diet in relation to cardiovascular
    disease supported by Campbell Soup Company. (Am. J. Clin.
    Nutr. 1996;64:935-43) "Serves as a member of advisory
    committees to a number of food and pharmaceutical groups and
    has research support from the food industry." (http://www4.nas.edu/webcr.nsf/CommitteeDisplay/FNBX-H-01-
    05-A?OpenDocument; accessed 1/6/03)

    Joanne Lupton, Associate professor, human nutrition, Texas
    A&M University. In-depth review expert for FDA Food
    Advisory Committee's 1995 review of olestra. VP, Ruder and
    Finn, NY (1970-74); communications consultant to
    corporations (1974-80); ILSI (1992-94); Health Valley
    Foods; Miller Brewing Co. Co-authored an "Expert Panel
    Report" on olestra (August 1999) for Procter & Gamble. (P&G
    petition to FDA, 12/1/99) (Resumé)

    Theresa A. Nicklas, Children's Nutrition Research Center,
    Department of Pediatrics, Baylor College of Medicine.
    Analysis of sugar intakes of 10-year-olds in Bogalusa, LA
    funded in part by the Sugar Association. (Am. J. Clin. Nutr.
    1998;17:579-85) Paper concerning whether children who
    consume more carbohydrates are more likely to run short on
    niacin and zinc was partially funded by the Sugar
    Association. (J. Nutrition 1996;126:1382) Sugar Association
    sponsored study of sugars and nutrient intakes in 10-year-
    old children. (J. Am. Col. Nutr.; Sugar Association 1999
    annual report). Research on the nutrient contribution of
    breakfast and the role of ready-to-eat cereals partially
    funded by a grant from the Kellogg Company. (Am. J.
    Clin. Nutr. 1998;67(suppl):757S-63S)

    Russell R. Pate, Ph.D., Associate Dean for Research, School
    of Public Health; Professor, Department of Exercise Science,
    University of South Carolina, Columbia. Received $200,000
    from the International Life Sciences Institute (ILSI)-North
    America for ongoing studies of physical activity in youth.
    (http://www.sph.sc.edu/biosketches/RUSSPATE.pdf; accessed
    8/18/03) Scientific advisor to FITNESSGRAM, a fitness and
    activity assessment program marketed by the Cooper
    Institute. (http://www.cooperinst.org/shopping/Web%20Format-
    /FGRAM%20Advisory%20Board/FGRAM%20advisory%20board%20index.-
    htm; accessed 8/18/03) On the scientific advisory board of
    Life Fitness, Inc.
    (http://www.hammerstrength.com/com_edu_board.asp; accessed
    8/18/05) Published an article on training in cold weather
    for Coaches Edge, a publication of the Gatorade
    Life Sciences Institute.
    (http://www.coachesedge.com.au/exercising.html;
    accessed 8/18/03) Scientific advisor to
    Kidnetic.com, which is funded through the
    International Food Information Council Foundation
    (IFIC) by Coca-Cola, Hershey Foods Corporation,
    H.J. Heinz Foundation, Keebler Company, Kellogg
    Company, Kraft Foods, Masterfoods USA, McDonald's,
    National Confectioners Association, Procter &
    Gamble, PepsiCo, Sara Lee Corporation, and the
    Snack Food Association.
    (http://www.kidnetic.com/home/kidneticinfo.html;
    accessed 8/18/03) Member of the scientific advisory
    board for the ILSI Center for Health Promotion's
    Physical Activity and Nutrition (PAN) Program.
    (http://chp.ilsi.org/file/pan2001.pdf;accessed
    9/24/03) Member of the Kraft Foods Worldwide Health
    & Wellness Advisory Board.
    (http://www.kraft.com/obesity/09032003.html;
    accessed 9/24/03)

    F. Xavier Pi-Sunyer, , M.D., St. Luke's-Roosevelt Hospital
    Center, Columbia University. Advisory boards of American
    Home Products' Wyeth-Ayerst labs and Knoll
    Pharmaceuticals; consultant to Lilly Pharmaceuticals,
    Genentech, Hoffman-LaRoche, Knoll, Weight-Watchers
    International, and Neurogen; on Knoll Pharmaceutical's
    Weight Risk Investigation Study Council (provides
    research grants). (Newark Star-Ledger, 2/17/97) Accepted
    grants or fees from Warner-Lambert on Rezulin, a
    diabetes drug. (Los Angeles Times, p. A22,
    8/18/06)Research on the effects of folate and vitamins B-12
    and B-6 on serum total homocysteine (tHcy) supported
    by Campbell Soup Company. (Am. J. Clin. Nutr. 2000;70:881-
    7) Study that compared meal plans and self-selected
    diet in relation to cardiovascular risk reduction
    supported by Campbell Soup Company. (Am. J. Clin.
    Nutr. 1997;66:373-85) Study on the benefits of a
    prepared diet in relation to cardiovascular disease
    supported by Campbell Soup Company. (Am. J.
    Clin. Nutr. 1996;64:935-43)

    Connie M. Weaver, Ph.D., R.D., Professor and head,
    Department of Foods and Nutrition, Purdue University, West
    Lafayette, IN. Study on calcium and body weight supported
    in part by the National Dairy Council. (J. Am. Coll. Nutr.
    2000;19:754-60) In-depth review expert concerning olestra's
    effects on water-soluble nutrients for FDA Food Advisory
    Committee's meeting on olestra, 1995. Research supported by
    National Dairy Council, National Dairy Board, Wisconsin
    Milk Marketing Board, Mead-Johnson Company. (Credits noted
    in published papers) Coauthor of paper on calcium citrate
    malate funded in part by Procter & Gamble and the National
    Dairy Council. (Calcified Tissue Intl., 1990, 46:300) Board
    of Trustees for International Life Sciences Institute;
    Kraft, Inc. Research Fellow (1988). (http://web.archive.or-
    g/web/19970625065255/http://www.cfs.purdue.edu/fdsnutr/peo-
    ple/weaver.html; accessed 11/4/00) Research on calcium
    (1999) supported by the National Dairy Council. (http://ne-
    ws.uns.purdue.edu/html4ever/990420.Teegarden.calcium.html;
    accessed 11/4/00) Available for media interviews via the
    Tropicana Nutrition Center. (http://web.archive.org/web/20-
    000124054133/http://tropicana.com/biz/nutrition/health1.ht-
    m; accessed 11/4/00) Research on milk consumption and bone
    density in young women partially supported by National
    Dairy Council. (Am. J.
    Clio. Nutr. 1999;69:1014-7)

    ***************************

    Many are connected to the International Life Sciences
    Institute, who are they?

    http://www.cspinet.org/integrity/nonprofits/international_l-
    ife_sciences_institute.html

    INTERNATIONAL LIFE SCIENCES INSTITUTE

    Founded "in 1978 to work toward a safer, healthier world.
    ILSI is a worldwide foundation that is making a difference
    in public health by advancing the understanding of
    scientific issues related to nutrition, food safety,
    toxicology, and the environment. ILSI is governed by an
    Assembly of Members, which includes one representative from
    each of its more than 400 member companies, and an elected
    Board of Trustees of renowned scientists from academia and
    industry, all of whom volunteer their time and expertise.
    ILSI members represent the world's leading manufacturers of
    food and food ingredients, chemicals, pharmaceuticals, and
    other consumer products." (http://www.ilsi.org/about/;
    September 22, 2000) ILSI has branches in about a dozen other
    countries/regions.

    ILSI has received funding from the alcoholic beverage
    industry. (Addiction. 2001;96:197-202)

    ILSI's fall, 1996, N.Y. Academy of Science conference on fat
    substitutes was funded in part by Procter & Gamble (Mother
    Jones, May/June, 1997, p.14).

    ILSI funders have included: Ajinomoto USA, Anheuser-
    Busch, ARCO Chemical Co., Dannon, Domino Sugar Corp.,
    Eastman Chemical Co., Kraft Foods, Monsanto, Nabisco,
    Procter & Gamble, Wm. Wrigley Jr. Co. ("Members of ILSI,"
    received 7/2/96).

    1998 ILSI Board of Trustees

    Clip. G. Harvey Anderson, University of Toronto
    Cliq. James R. Behnke
    Clir. Roger M. Bektash
    Clis. Joseph F. Borzelleca, Medical College of Virginia
    Clit. Fergus Clydesdale, University of Massachusetts,
    Amherst
    Cliu. G. Coccodrilli, Kraft Foods, Inc.
    Cliv. Oscar Cuper
    Cliw. Peter B. Dews, Harvard Medical School
    Clix. Victor L. Fugoni III, Kellogg Company
    Cliy. Larry M. Games
    Cliz. Bernard D. Goldstein, Robert Wood Johnson
    Medical School
    Cliz. Yuzo Hayashi, National Institute of Hygienic
    Sciences, Japan
    Cliz. Marc Horisberger, Nestle Ltd., Switzerland
    Cliz. Shuichi Kimura, Showa Women's University, Japan
    Cliz. Curtis D. Klaassen
    Cliz. Frank N. Kotsonis, Monsanto Company
    Cliz. Louis Lasagna, Tufts University
    Cliz. Gordon Loewengart, Hoechst Celanese Corporation
    Cliz. Alex Malaspina, The Coca-Cola Company
    Cliz. R. Michael McClain, Hoffman-La Roche Inc. Prof. Dr.
    Ulrich Mohr, Hannover Medical School, Germany
    Cliz. Keiichi Morimoto
    Cliz. Efren Parada-Arias Prof. Marcel Roberfroid, Catholic
    University of Louvain, Belgium
    Cliz. Hugh A. Sampson, Johns Hopkins University
    Cliz. Barbara O. Schneeman, University of California at
    Davis
    Cliz. Yukio Sogo, Snow Brand Milk Products Co., Ltd., Japan
    Cliz. James W. Stanley, PepsiCo, Inc. Prof. Dr. Vichai
    Tanphaichitr, Mahidol University, Thailand Michael R.
    Taylor, Esq.
    Cliz. Alfred W. Wishart, Jr., The Pittsburgh Foundation
    Cliz. Yasushi Yamamoto, Kirin Brewery Company, Ltd., Japan.
    Members of ILSI North America:

    3M Microbiology Ajinomoto U.S.A., Inc. Archer Daniels
    Midland Company BASF Corporation Bristol-Myers Squibb
    Company Burger King Corporation Campbell Soup Company
    Cargill, Incorporated The Coca-Cola Company Corn Products
    International, Inc. Danisco Cultor America, Inc.
    E.I. du Pont de Nemours and Company General Mills, Inc.
    Gerber Products Company
    E.J. Heinz Company Hershey Foods Corporation International
    Flavors & Fragrances, Inc. Kellogg Company Kraft Foods,
    Inc. Masterfoods USA McCormick & Company, Inc. McNeil
    Nutritionals Mead Johnson Nutritionals Monsanto Company
    National Starch and Chemical Company Nestlé USA, Inc.
    Novozymes North America, Inc. The NutraSweet Company
    Nutrinova, Inc. Ocean Spray Cranberries, Inc. The Pepsi-
    Cola Company Pfizer, Inc. The Proctor & Gamble Company
    Red Bull Roche Vitamins, Inc. Ross Products
    Division/Abbott Laboratories Sethness Products Company
    Taco Bell Corporation Takasago International
    Corporation (USA) Tate & Lyle Unilever Bestfoods NA Wm.
    Wrigley Jr. Company Wyeth Nutritionals International
    (http://www.ilsi.org/misc/NAassem.pdf; accessed 6/2/03)

    **************

    Basically, these "scientists" are all on the payrolls of
    either pharmaceutical companies or food companies or both. I
    wonder how much concern they have for the long-term health
    of the people as opposed to the long term health of their
    masters' fiscal bottom line? Now that is marketing!

    TC

    Tags:

  2. "tcomeau" quoted:

[...]

    Good article in the Boston Globe. The obese should be
    grateful to these unbiased scientists. Thanks for posting
    it, tcomeau. You seem to be coming around.

    GWC

  3. September

    September Guest

    What's your take on this? -

    ~Kingsbrook Conference on Nutritional and Metabolic Aspects
    of Low Carbohydrate Diets~

    http://www.downstate.edu/kingsbrook/default.html

    "The conference will integrate recent results in nutrition
    and metabolism and the consequences of controlled
    carbohydrate diets. It will be of interest to
    dietician/nutritionists and health care professionals
    seeking the latest scientific information. At the same time,
    researchers in basic biochemistry will be interested in
    advances in metabolic control in a nutritional context."

    Check out the sponsors:

    http://www.downstate.edu/kingsbrook/sponsor.html

    Interesting, eh?

    [email protected] (tcomeau) wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
> [...]
    > Nestlé USA, Inc. Novozymes North America, Inc. The
    > NutraSweet Company Nutrinova, Inc. Ocean Spray
    > Cranberries, Inc. The Pepsi-Cola Company Pfizer, Inc.
    > The Proctor & Gamble Company Red Bull Roche Vitamins,
    > Inc. Ross Products Division/Abbott Laboratories
    > Sethness Products Company Taco Bell Corporation
    > Takasago International Corporation (USA) Tate & Lyle
    > Unilever Bestfoods NA Wm. Wrigley Jr. Company Wyeth
    > Nutritionals International
    > (http://www.ilsi.org/misc/NAassem.pdf; accessed
    > 6/2/03)
    >
    > **************
    >
    > Basically, these "scientists" are all on the payrolls of
    > either pharmaceutical companies or food companies or both.
    > I wonder how much concern they have for the long-term
    > health of the people as opposed to the long term health of
    > their masters' fiscal bottom line? Now that is marketing!

  4. Hua Kul

    Hua Kul Guest

    [email protected] (tcomeau) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > http://www.omaha.com/index.php?u_np=0&u_pg=1642&u_sid-
    > =1107076
    >
    > Federal diet guidelines to purée low-carb craze
    >
    > (snip excellent information, compiled no where else that I
    > know of.)

    Thanks again TC for your dogged research into unholy
    alliances. (I'm sure if it were me it wouldn't get done due
    to being motivationally challenged.) And I thank the powers
    that created the internet, an example of how good and bad a
    truly democratic self-regulated system can become. I wish
    US government and society were more like the internet in
    some ways.

    --Hua Kul [email protected]

  5. Tcomeau

    Tcomeau Guest

    "George W. Cherry" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]_s04>...
    > "tcomeau" quoted:
    >
    > ____________________________________________________-
    > ________
    > THE BOSTON GLOBE
    >
    > BETHESDA, Md. - Americans should ignore trendy low-
    > carbohydrate diets and focus instead on cutting calories
    > by avoiding supersize fast food in favor of lean meats,
    > low-fat dairy products, and fruits and vegetables,
    > according to draft government dietary guidelines.
    >
    > The report, written by 13 independent scientists, is the
    > template for sweeping changes under way in the nation's
    > nutritional policy, which could bring about major shifts
    > in how Americans buy and eat food. The guidelines are
    > rewritten every five years, but the nation's obesity
    > epidemic has given the task greater urgency this year.
    >
    > The scientists, who are advising the federal agriculture
    > and health departments, discussed their report in public
    > for the first time during a meeting Wednesday. In a swipe
    > at in-vogue diets that seek to eliminate single categories
    > of food, the federal panel stated in the report: "The
    > strategy for weight loss is not to focus on the
    > proportions of fat and carbohydrate in the diet."
    >
    > The Dietary Guidelines Advisory Committee asserted
    > instead that less food and more exercise are the
    > essential components of a healthy, slimming diet. Recent
    > studies have indicated that low-carb diets reduce weight
    > over the short term, but their long-term staying power
    > has not been proved.
    >

    > Good article in the Boston Globe. The obese should be
    > grateful to these unbiased scientists. Thanks for posting
    > it, tcomeau. You seem to be coming around.
    >
    > GWC

    Who do you work for?

    TC

  6. Tcomeau

    Tcomeau Guest

    [email protected] (September) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > What's your take on this? -
    >
    > ~Kingsbrook Conference on Nutritional and Metabolic
    > Aspects of Low Carbohydrate Diets~
    >
    > http://www.downstate.edu/kingsbrook/default.html
    >
    > "The conference will integrate recent results in nutrition
    > and metabolism and the consequences of controlled
    > carbohydrate diets. It will be of interest to
    > dietician/nutritionists and health care professionals
    > seeking the latest scientific information. At the same
    > time, researchers in basic biochemistry will be interested
    > in advances in metabolic control in a nutritional
    > context."
    >

    > Check out the sponsors:
    >
    > http://www.downstate.edu/kingsbrook/sponsor.html
    >

    > Interesting, eh?

    Pretty sad when science is broken into factions based on
    financial interest and not on the science itself. Such a sad
    state of affairs. And in the balance sits the basic
    nutritional health of nations. Who's gonna win? The
    consulting and researching "scientists", the ad people and
    the owners of the businesses.

    TC

  7. Tcomeau

    Tcomeau Guest

    [email protected] (Hua Kul) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > [email protected] (tcomeau) wrote in message
    > news:<[email protected]>...
    > > http://www.omaha.com/index.php?u_np=0&u_pg=1642&u_sid=1-
    > > 107076
    > >
    > > Federal diet guidelines to purée low-carb craze
    > >
    > > (snip excellent information, compiled no where else that
    > > I know of.)
    >
    > Thanks again TC for your dogged research into unholy
    > alliances. (I'm sure if it were me it wouldn't get done
    > due to being motivationally challenged.) And I thank the
    > powers that created the internet, an example of how good
    > and bad a truly democratic self-regulated system can
    > become. I wish US government and society were more like
    > the internet in some ways.
    >
    > --Hua Kul [email protected]

    You are very welcome.

    TC

  8. "tcomeau" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > "George W. Cherry"
    > <[email protected]> wrote in
    message news:<[email protected]_s04>...
    > > "tcomeau" quoted:
    > >
    > > ______________________________________________________-
    > > ______
    > > THE BOSTON GLOBE
    > >
    > > BETHESDA, Md. - Americans should ignore trendy low-
    > > carbohydrate diets and focus instead on cutting calories
    > > by avoiding supersize fast food in favor of lean meats,
    > > low-fat dairy products, and fruits and vegetables,
    > > according to draft government dietary guidelines.
    > >
    > > The report, written by 13 independent scientists, is the
    > > template for sweeping changes under way in the nation's
    > > nutritional policy, which could bring about major shifts
    > > in how Americans buy and eat food. The guidelines are
    > > rewritten every five years, but the nation's obesity
    > > epidemic has given the task greater urgency this year.
    > >
    > > The scientists, who are advising the federal agriculture
    > > and health departments, discussed their report in public
    > > for the first time during a meeting Wednesday. In a
    > > swipe at in-vogue diets that seek to eliminate single
    > > categories of food, the federal panel stated in the
    > > report: "The strategy for weight loss is not to focus on
    > > the proportions of fat and carbohydrate in the diet."
    > >
    > > The Dietary Guidelines Advisory Committee asserted
    > > instead that less food and more exercise are the
    > > essential components of a healthy, slimming diet. Recent
    > > studies have indicated that low-carb diets reduce weight
    > > over the short term, but their long-term staying power
    > > has not been proved.
    > >

    > > Good article in the Boston Globe. The obese should be
    > > grateful to these unbiased scientists. Thanks for
    > > posting it, tcomeau. You seem to be coming around.
    > >
    > > GWC
    >
    > Who do you work for?

    ROFLMAO! tcomeau is a computer program, right? Any MIT CS
    freshman could knock off a computer program--in two-three
    days--which apes your stereo- typed posts and responses.
    You are a mere Stimulus- Response Machine with about four
    rules and a minis- cule database, are you not? One of
    your rules is:

    IF (the other poster's post isn't covered by another rule)
    THEN {post "Who do you work for?"}

    I award your author a grade of D-.

    GWC

  9. markd

    markd Guest

    Ah, the pattern becomes more clear, the iron and carbs camps
    join hands. Hmmm, now could we really have just one person
    here... ? I'm beginning to think this is an example of the
    iron/carb axis doing some disinformation, some clever
    reverse psyching out by making such a spectical that it will
    prompt folk to really increase iron/carbs. Now all we need
    do is identify the industry which will benefit from and must
    be paying people to promote the iron/carb axis.

    >You want a response? Here is a response to you and markd:
    >Go f*** yourselves.
    >
    >TC
    >

    >"George W. Cherry"
    ><[email protected]> wrote in
    >messag e news:<7%[email protected]_s54>...
    >> "tcomeau" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >> news:[email protected]...
    >> > And who is it that you work for again?
    >> >
    >> > TC
    >>
    >> IF (you haven't a better response in the rule base) THEN
    >> {post "who is it that you work for?"}
    >>
    >> Really, your author needs to do more work on your program
    >> before you appear to be a real human being.
    >>
    >> GWC

  10. markd

    markd Guest

    Just as with the last time you posted the same info, thanks
    for a fine example of science at work, where new info or
    insight results in new conclusions and approaches. I n this
    case they used the same exact new carb diet resutls you
    touted, including the one funded by atkins, by which to
    adjust guidelines. Thanks for posting this information. I
    might also add this time around that they want folk to get
    away from the computer and out of cars and away from tv etc.
    and do more exercise. Exercise has a large impact on health,
    not so much for the calories consumed, but in just about
    every aspect of having a healthy body and reducing many risk
    factors associated with weight gain.

    > [email protected] (tcomeau) wrote in message
    > [email protected]>...
    >> http://www.omaha.com/index.php?u_np=0&u_pg=1642&u_sid=-
    >> 1107076
    >>
    >> Federal diet guidelines to purée low-carb craze
    >>
    >> THE BOSTON GLOBE
    >>
    >> BETHESDA, Md. - Americans should ignore trendy low-
    >> carbohydrate diets and focus instead on cutting calories
    >> by avoiding supersize fast food in favor of lean meats,
    >> low-fat dairy products, and fruits and vegetables,
    >> according to draft government dietary guidelines.
    >>
    >> The report, written by 13 independent scientists, is the
    >> template for sweeping changes under way in the nation's
    >> nutritional policy, which could bring about major shifts
    >> in how Americans buy and eat food. The guidelines are
    >> rewritten every five years, but the nation's obesity
    >> epidemic has given the task greater urgency this year.
    >>
    >> The scientists, who are advising the federal agriculture
    >> and health departments, discussed their report in public
    >> for the first time during a meeting Wednesday. In a swipe
    >> at in-vogue diets that seek to eliminate single
    >> categories of food, the federal panel stated in the
    >> report: "The strategy for weight loss is not to focus on
    >> the proportions of fat and carbohydrate in the diet."
    >>
    >> The Dietary Guidelines Advisory Committee asserted
    >> instead that less food and more exercise are the
    >> essential components of a healthy, slimming diet. Recent
    >> studies have indicated that low-carb diets reduce weight
    >> over the short term, but their long-term staying power
    >> has not been proved.
    >>
    >> ***************
    >
    >http://www.washingtonpost.com/ac2/wp-
    >dyn?pagename=article&contentId=A39944-2003
    >Aug24&notFound=true
    >
    >Diet Panel Nominees Questioned Groups Say Some Named
    >Have Too Close Ties to Food, Drug Industries By Sally
    >Squires Washington Post Staff Writer Monday, August 25,
    >2003; Page A15
    >

    >A new federal committee nominated recently to begin
    >reviewing the U.S. dietary guidelines -- the cornerstone of
    >key federal nutrition programs and policies from the food
    >guide pyramid to the school lunch program -- has come under
    >fire from consumer groups for having close industry ties.

    >TC

  11. Tcomeau

    Tcomeau Guest