Fee proposed for riding across the Golden Gate Bridge

Discussion in 'The Bike Cafe' started by gpriatko, Jun 3, 2005.

1. gpriatko

gpriatko New Member

The folks who administer the Golden Gate Bridge have floated the idea of charging a $1 toll for every cyclist and pedestrian who walks or rides across the bridge.

There's a bill that's passed the California State Assembly Transportation Committee that would prohibit tolls for bicyclists and pedestrians on highways and bridges in California.

You can go to this web site and let them know what you think: http://www.sfbike.org/?ggb

Please be polite; it's hard to get people to agree with your point of view if they think that they're getting flamed.

I think that this toll is a terrible idea. It's going to discourage people from walking and biking. Personally, I live in San Francisco, but my business in not in the city and it's not related to tourism. I hate to see these kinds of fees getting piled on the tourists. As anyone who's visited here knows, we have plenty of ways to vacuum the cash out of your wallets. We don't need to charge a dollar to walk or ride on the bridge. This is just a bad idea.

Tags:

2. DiabloScott

DiabloScott New Member

Here's a link to usenet postings about this when the idea got floated in February. Makes more sense to me to charge for PARKING at the tourist lots than it does to charge people for walking or biking across... those lots are probably the only places in miles that have free parking. And did you know that Fastrack users get a discount on the GGB only? Why is that? They should charge extra.

http://groups-beta.google.com/group...+cyclist+on+ggb&rnum=1&hl=en#35670d4a1bff2f3f

3. gpriatko

gpriatko New Member

I like the idea that the gravel lot on Lincoln is free. Overall, the system makes sense to me. There are multiple options and the more you pay the more 'convenient' the parking.

If you want to park close to the bridge then you feed the meters. That's expensive, and the space is limited. You pay extra for that.

If you want longer term parking at a lower cost then you can pay $5 and park in the 'employees' lot on Merchant.

And if you want free parking, you park in the gravel lot on Lincoln. And then you take a scenic stroll down the bike/ped path.

Granted, I haven't parked in any of the parking lots in a month of Sundays and my basic frame of reference for SF is how it looks and feels on two wheels. But there needs to be free parking in San Francisco. The people who live here pay for services and some times we want to use a car in the city. It's not clear to me that local residents should have to 'pay twice'.