feed back to Melb CBD shops.

Discussion in 'Australia and New Zealand' started by David Bailey, May 21, 2003.

  1. David Bailey

    David Bailey Guest

    Interested to know any opinions of bike shops in Melbourne's city region or if you are
    impressed with your local shop. Am stuggling to make recommendations to friends and feel good
    shops need support.

    Tags:

  2. Claude

    Claude Guest

    I've not been impressed with the bike shop at the top of Bourke St (CBD Cycles?) which I've used
    about four times because I was pressed for time and so really didn't have a choice. Have had good
    experiences with one further down Bourke near Russell. When I can I prefer to go to Melbourne
    Bicycle Centre in Clifton Hill where I've mostly (with one exception) had good experiences over many
    visits and many dollars.

    "David Bailey" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Interested to know any opinions of bike shops in Melbourne's city region
    or
    > if you are impressed with your local shop. Am stuggling to make recommendations to friends and
    > feel good shops need support.

  3. Ritch

    Ritch Guest

    I like Cecil Walker Cycles 'cos I bought some stuff over the internet from them. They are prompt,
    the prices are competitive and they delivered the things I ordered. I actually went into the store
    on a recent trip to Melbourne and found the staff to be quite helpful.

    Ritch.

    PS I don't work there. You asked for an opinion...

    "Claude" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > I've not been impressed with the bike shop at the top of Bourke St (CBD Cycles?) which I've used
    > about four times because I was pressed for time and so really didn't have a choice. Have had good
    > experiences with one further down Bourke near Russell. When I can I prefer to go to Melbourne
    > Bicycle Centre in Clifton Hill where I've mostly (with one exception) had good experiences over
    > many visits and many dollars.
    >
    > "David Bailey" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > Interested to know any opinions of bike shops in Melbourne's city region
    > or
    > > if you are impressed with your local shop. Am stuggling to make recommendations to friends and
    > > feel good shops need support.

  4. Stu

    Stu Guest

    yer cecil gets my vote but that's a little unfair, its the only online bike store l have used and
    the only bike shop in the city l have been to maybe the rest are great as well

  5. Nickzx6r

    Nickzx6r Guest

    > "David Bailey" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    >> Interested to know any opinions of bike shops in Melbourne's city region
    > or
    >> if you are impressed with your local shop. Am stuggling to make recommendations to friends and
    >> feel good shops need support.

    Claude <[email protected]> wrote:
    > I've not been impressed with the bike shop at the top of Bourke St (CBD Cycles?) which I've used
    > about four times because I was pressed for time and so really didn't have a choice. Have had good
    > experiences with one further down Bourke near Russell. When I can I prefer to go to Melbourne
    > Bicycle Centre in Clifton Hill where I've mostly (with one exception) had good experiences over
    > many visits and many dollars.

    It's amazing how people can have such different experiences.

    SHM (near Bourke & Russell) managed to bugger up a hub rebuild by putting 8 ball bearings in one
    side and 9 in the other when each side should have 10, as well as refitting pitted cones when they
    were told up front that the hub was 10000kms old and most likely needed new cones.

    I've also had such a bad experience at MBC in Clifton Hill that I was minutes away from contacting
    Fair Trading and even now I probably won't ever go back there, despite their action in response to
    my complaints.

    In both of these cases it was just sheer incompetence.

    I've had some bad experiences at all but one bike shop I've been to but overall I think Cecil
    Walker has been the best for me (in the CBD). I think the more mechanical work you can do yourself,
    the better.

    YMMV.

    --
    Nick

  6. David Bailey

    David Bailey Guest

    Thanks for the replies, seems Cecil's are doing a good job, I think it may be due to the fact they
    have been in the game for a fair few years. All shops have their bad days, especially when working
    on bikes but hey I have had similar problems getting my car fixed. Best to not loose your temper and
    give them the opportunity to resolve the issue (catch more flies with honey than with vinegar?!?!).

    Seems that people have so much love for their bikes when the servicing goes wrong it's pretty
    upsetting especially if you feel your not getting the whole story. I have many a horror story to
    tell but even more stories of excellent work that always seems to go unnoticed or unappreciated.

    Some shops have the facility to record your details and register everything you have purchased and
    all work done on your bike. Often these shops change hands or staff and the situation can change
    dramatically can always give them another go?

  7. Mark

    Mark Guest

    I would recomend Cecil Walker as well.

    I had my road bike built there and they were great. I have also found they were very cheap on parts,
    for eg I bought a pair of Ultegra STI levers from them for $462 one of the other CBD stores, in
    Bourke Street near the corner of Russell street quoted me $620 for the same part!!

    Needless to say didnt buy anything from them!

    Regards

    news:[email protected]...