Feedback On My Next RIDE Please!

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by John, Aug 6, 2003.

  1. John

    John Guest

    I currently have a Jeep and decided very soon I want to upgrade. I was looking at Kona, Trek,
    and Giant.

    Kona Blast with Marzocchi EXR Comp Fork "Bomber" with Deore 9 Speed Gearing. Tioga Factory XC Tires.
    Bike is $799 Canadian.

    Trek 4500 with Judy II ($699) CDN

    Giant Iguana with Pilot C Forks (3" travel), Shimano Deore 27 Speed, rapid fire shift. Mosquito
    tires (Hutchinson). (on SALE for $688) REG. $860 CDN & extra ligght aluxx butted alum w/ integrated
    heatset and race proven xtc geometry whatever the heck that is.

    Think I like the Giant and Kona best, but it comes down to what one? Also have 6mo interest free
    with the place that sells giant. :) Which is kinda appealing. Kona bike seems rally cool, but very
    different frame then Im used too. So what way do you guys think I should go on this?

    Cheers,JOHN

    Tags:

  2. Bomba

    Bomba Guest

    John wrote:

    > Think I like the Giant and Kona best, but it comes down to what one?

    I like the design of Kona's frames, and from the specs, I'd rather have the 'Zocchi forks too.

  3. Jd

    Jd Guest

    [email protected] (John) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > I currently have a Jeep and decided very soon I want to upgrade. I was looking at Kona, Trek,
    > and Giant.

    Three strikes means you have to leave the batter's box and head for the dugout.

    JD

  4. Sdc

    Sdc Guest

    "John" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > I currently have a Jeep and decided very soon I want to upgrade. I was looking at Kona, Trek,
    > and Giant.

    Where are you buying this stuff from? I'm looking to hook a friend up with a bike in that range. He
    doesnt have much money but I know he'll be hooked on the sport. Unfortunetly he'll end up paying a
    whole lot more in parts replacement by going cheap though.

    I have found that oryx have amazing value when comparing similarly specced bikes.

    You can check out www.oryc.ca

    Here some of the rough pricing i remember from a store: check out the website for more precise specs

    Spit Fire 66: 6" front (Marz) and rear travel Alvio/Deore 8" hayes mechanical disk $1600 CDN

    Desert Dueler 99: same as above more or less, except steel hardtail $700 CDN -- this is pretty cheap

    T-Line 500: 4" marz comp air
    LX/XT A few Race face parts Hayes hydraulic brakes $1500 CDN

    T-Line 750: Full XTR $4500

    Again pricing is from memory...but I would suggest something like the T-line
    125...that would be around $600 (just a guess) or spend a bit more for a T-line 250.

    These guys are hundreds and hundreds of dollars cheaper than Trek, Specialized, etc.. For what less
    than what I paid for my specialized, I could have gotten race face parts instead of crap specialized
    parts, a bomber with 1" more travel instead of a rockshit, and hydraulic disk brakes instead of
    bottom end V-brakes. Oh well...too late for me.

    Guys at my LBS ride them and even buy them and strip them for parts. Just an idea..

    SDC

  5. Adrian

    Adrian Guest

    Keep the Jeep... when winter comes it sucks to commute on a bike..

    "John" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > I currently have a Jeep and decided very soon I want to upgrade. I was looking at Kona, Trek,
    > and Giant.
    >
    > Kona Blast with Marzocchi EXR Comp Fork "Bomber" with Deore 9 Speed Gearing. Tioga Factory XC
    > Tires. Bike is $799 Canadian.
    >
    > Trek 4500 with Judy II ($699) CDN
    >
    > Giant Iguana with Pilot C Forks (3" travel), Shimano Deore 27 Speed, rapid fire shift. Mosquito
    > tires (Hutchinson). (on SALE for $688) REG. $860 CDN & extra ligght aluxx butted alum w/
    > integrated heatset and race proven xtc geometry whatever the heck that is.
    >
    > Think I like the Giant and Kona best, but it comes down to what one? Also have 6mo interest free
    > with the place that sells giant. :) Which is kinda appealing. Kona bike seems rally cool, but very
    > different frame then Im used too. So what way do you guys think I should go on this?
    >
    > Cheers,JOHN

  6. Bill Wheeler

    Bill Wheeler Guest

    On 6 Aug 2003 10:05:32 -0700, [email protected] (John) wrote:

    John,

    Get the most for your money. For less than $900 you can get SISSed or DISSed

    www.bianchi.com The mind serves properly as a window glass rather than as a reflector, that is, the
    mind should give an immediate view instead of an interpretation of the world.
    :-]

  7. Chris

    Chris Guest

    "John" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > I currently have a Jeep and decided very soon I want to upgrade. I was looking at Kona, Trek,
    > and Giant.
    >
    > Kona Blast with Marzocchi EXR Comp Fork "Bomber" with Deore 9 Speed Gearing. Tioga Factory XC
    > Tires. Bike is $799 Canadian.
    >
    > Trek 4500 with Judy II ($699) CDN
    >
    > Giant Iguana with Pilot C Forks (3" travel), Shimano Deore 27 Speed, rapid fire shift. Mosquito
    > tires (Hutchinson). (on SALE for $688) REG. $860 CDN & extra ligght aluxx butted alum w/
    > integrated heatset and race proven xtc geometry whatever the heck that is.
    >
    > Think I like the Giant and Kona best, but it comes down to what one? Also have 6mo interest free
    > with the place that sells giant. :) Which is kinda appealing. Kona bike seems rally cool, but very
    > different frame then Im used too. So what way do you guys think I should go on this?
    >
    > Cheers,JOHN

    Go with the Kona - of all the parts on a bike, forks and frames are the most expensive to upgrade
    and, well, the most important (you can patch a tire, jump a taco'd wheel back into ridable shape,
    rig chains, etc). The Kona has the best forks of the three you listed, and it's frame will be the
    strongest. Ride it and, if you like it, buy it. Compare the wheelsets, too...those are #3 behind
    frame and fork. My gut tells me the Kona will probably have the best all-around set of the bunch.

    Judy and Pilot forks cannot be trusted in real-world mountain biking.

    Chris

  8. John

    John Guest

    HAHAHA I don't have a actual JEEP, but a mountain bike jeep.... no chance in hell id sell my veichle
    fora bike of any kind.... J.

    "Adrian" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > Keep the Jeep... when winter comes it sucks to commute on a bike..
    >

    > "John" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > > I currently have a Jeep and decided very soon I want to upgrade. I was looking at Kona, Trek,
    > > and Giant.
    > >
    > > Kona Blast with Marzocchi EXR Comp Fork "Bomber" with Deore 9 Speed Gearing. Tioga Factory XC
    > > Tires. Bike is $799 Canadian.
    > >
    > > Trek 4500 with Judy II ($699) CDN
    > >
    > > Giant Iguana with Pilot C Forks (3" travel), Shimano Deore 27 Speed, rapid fire shift. Mosquito
    > > tires (Hutchinson). (on SALE for $688) REG. $860 CDN & extra ligght aluxx butted alum w/
    > > integrated heatset and race proven xtc geometry whatever the heck that is.
    > >
    > > Think I like the Giant and Kona best, but it comes down to what one? Also have 6mo interest free
    > > with the place that sells giant. :) Which is kinda appealing. Kona bike seems rally cool, but
    > > very different frame then Im used too. So what way do you guys think I should go on this?
    > >
    > > Cheers,JOHN

  9. Packfan

    Packfan Guest

    Where in Canada are you located?