Feedback on Timex Bodylink system v Polar 720i

mmamster

Jan 2, 2004
Hi all

I am looking at a HRM/decent timing watch for triathlon (summer) and bike training (summer/winter).

I've seen a lot on the polar 720i and it looks very attractive. However have also recently seen the new 2004 timex system (see www.timex.com) which tracks distance covered by GPS. That appeals as no bike attachments would be needed to monitor speed/distance/HR calcs and it could be used to monitor distance while running (I am not aware 720i can do this). Also is cheaper by about 100 AUD. Already have cadence etc on the bike.

Does anyone have one and can they comment please?

Cheers

MMAMSTER

Beach Road rider!

How good is their heart rate monitor? I played with a Timex unit a year ago and that part was very bad. The Polars seem to be bombproof and recognized as the best, although frustrating since battery replacements require sending them in for service.

It's cool seeing some new players come to the market for these products.

The s725i really doesn't see to have significant improvement over the 720i. Just communicate with the Nokia phone and has their near wearlink transmitter.

Originally posted by jasong
The s725i really doesn't see to have significant improvement over the 720i. Just communicate with the Nokia phone and has their near wearlink transmitter.

I think it might be smaller and lighter - we'll see!

The 625X is out now which has most of the 720i features but also has the speed/cadence sensor for running. To me this was the only bonus that the Timex system had over Polar. However having owned a previous Timex Ironman HRM watch I would never go near them again. Very very bad product.... unreliable, inaccurate,chewed batteries and swallowed water. The 720 is comparison is indeed bombproof. If a 725X is coming I too would wait for that

Your other option is to keep the polar for HRm and buy a GPS device for running like those small Garmond ones. They like Polar have been doing what they do best for 50 years unlike Timex who have done HRM watches for about 3 years---and it shows!

Check out the Ciclosport HAC4. Better bike functions than the Polar, about equal HR functions, very poor software.

Originally posted by 9138cousins
The 625X is out now which has most of the 720i features but also has the speed/cadence sensor for running. To me this was the only bonus that the Timex system had over Polar. However having owned a previous Timex Ironman HRM watch I would never go near them again. Very very bad product.... unreliable, inaccurate,chewed batteries and swallowed water. The 720 is comparison is indeed bombproof. If a 725X is coming I too would wait for that

Your other option is to keep the polar for HRm and buy a GPS device for running like those small Garmond ones. They like Polar have been doing what they do best for 50 years unlike Timex who have done HRM watches for about 3 years---and it shows!

I have been considering purchasing the s720i but the running speed and distance of the s625x really captured my attention.

The s625X along with the optional cycling cross-functionality seems to provide everything needed for a triathlete.

Do you have any idea or guess of the price that it'll have when it gets to the stores?

The s725x, however doesn't seem to me such an improvement since it only provides mobile connectivity .

I have used both the Timex Bodylink and 720i and for cycling applications prefer the 720i. The graphical output to computer is much better than timex's and the altitude function is very useful. The Timex is ok for running or xc skiing where I've used it a fair bit but it is somewhat unreliable, the signal cuts in and out on the gps. I haven't had any trouble with timex's hr monitor but the polar is loaded with programablity eg for intervals etc.
Peter

Originally posted by mmamster
Hi all

I am looking at a HRM/decent timing watch for triathlon (summer) and bike training (summer/winter).

I've seen a lot on the polar 720i and it looks very attractive. However have also recently seen the new 2004 timex system (see www.timex.com) which tracks distance covered by GPS. That appeals as no bike attachments would be needed to monitor speed/distance/HR calcs and it could be used to monitor distance while running (I am not aware 720i can do this). Also is cheaper by about 100 AUD. Already have cadence etc on the bike.

Does anyone have one and can they comment please?

Cheers

MMAMSTER

Beach Road rider!

Wall Street Journal did a story a month or so ago comparing the Timex to the Garmin Forerunner 201. They seemed to feel the Timex was clunky, hard to use, and not very reliable, while the Garmin was just the opposite. Of course, the Garmin doesn't have a HRM.

Stephen

I've been very pleased with my 720i. Haven't had a lick of problems with it. It comes with the speed/distance for the bike and the cadence sensor is around $40 USD, although I don't have it.

I really like the programability of the Polar as was mentioned above.