Feeding brake cable through top tube - any ideas?



Z

Zardoz

Guest
having purchased a new sti shifter off of e-bay I've now got
to fit the thing. I've almost got the old one off but I'm
wondering how I'll rethread the brake cable, because it
enters the top tube at the bottom, near the headset, and
exits at the top near the saddle. It's a Peugeot road bike
and I remember much was made of the concealed cable routing
when I bought it.

For the moment I've left the old one in and I could try
attaching some string to it before I remove it (it'll have
to be changed).

Suggestions???
 
M

Mseries

Guest
"Zardoz" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
>
> having purchased a new sti shifter off of e-bay I've now
> got to fit the thing. I've almost got the old one off but
> I'm wondering how I'll rethread the brake cable, because
> it enters the top tube at the bottom, near the headset,
> and exits at the top near the saddle. It's a Peugeot road
> bike and I remember much was made of the concealed cable
> routing when I bought it.
>
> For the moment I've left the old one in and I could try
> attaching some string to it before I remove it (it'll have
> to be changed).
>
> Suggestions???
>

Slide the old inner out holding the old outer in place.
Thread the new inner through the old outer. Remove the old
outer keeping the inner in place. Thread the new outer over
the inner.
 
M

Marten Hoffmann

Guest
[email protected] schreef ...

> Slide the old inner out holding the old outer in place.
> Thread the new inner through the old outer. Remove the old
> outer keeping the inner in place. Thread the new outer
> over the inner.

This only works if the outer cable runs from front to back
through the top tube, which is not always the case .......

If the outer cable does not go all the way through the top
tube, take a piece of cassette tape, hold it in front of one
of the top tube holes and ....... put a vacuum cleaner at
work at the other hole. The very thin cassette tape will be
pulled through the top tube. Then you tie the new inner
cable to the cassette tape and pull the inner cable through
the top tube.

--
Regards, Marten
 
C

Colin Blackburn

Guest
On Tue, 27 Apr 2004 21:42:16 +0100, MSeries <[email protected]>
wrote:

> ... old inner out ... old outer in ... new inner ... old
> outer... the old outer ...the inner in ... the new outer
> over the inner.

Is this the one about cricket?

Colin
--
 
M

Mseries

Guest
Marten Hoffmann wrote:
> [email protected] schreef ...
>
>> Slide the old inner out holding the old outer in place.
>> Thread the new inner through the old outer. Remove the
>> old outer keeping the inner in place. Thread the new
>> outer over the inner.
>
> This only works if the outer cable runs from front to back
> through the top tube, which is not always the case .......
>
> If the outer cable does not go all the way through the top
> tube, take a piece of cassette tape, hold it in front of
> one of the top tube holes and ....... put a vacuum cleaner
> at work at the other hole. The very thin cassette tape
> will be pulled through the top tube. Then you tie the new
> inner cable to the cassette tape and pull the inner cable
> through the top tube.

The OP said

"enters the top tube at the bottom, near the headset, and
exits at the top near the saddle" so I assumed it does go
all the way through.

Surely it would be easier to tape a piece of string to the
old inner before removing it then pull it through as the old
inner it removed. If the outer is in two pieces the piece
near the nipple should be threaded on the inner before the
new inner is pulled through. The inner would be threaded
through the lever first of all of course. Unless of course
the cable and its outer has already been removed from the
frame ........
 
Z

Zardoz

Guest
[if only I'd checked properly]

The outer sleeve does indeed feed all the way through the
top tube so all I have to do is stuff the cable through.

Thanks for all the vacuum cleaner / bits of string
suggestions :)