Feeding cable into an Ultegra shifter??

Jono L

Well-Known Member
Apr 28, 2005
4,434
Hey guys,

When feeding a new cable into a right-hand 06 Ultegra 10spd shifter do you have to take it apart first?

Just had a quick crack at it and without taking it apart I can't see how I can get the nob on the end of the cable to lock into the slot that holds it ...

ie. The cable feeds through then the nob is just 'floating around' inside the shifter. I can see the path the cable needs to run down and where the nob locks in but can't get it down there without taking it apart...and I don't really want to take it apart as I can see a thousand pieces going everywhere.

Any help appreciated

Jono

Jono L wrote:
> Hey guys,
>
> When feeding a new cable into a right-hand 06 Ultegra 10spd shifter do
> you have to take it apart first?
>
> Just had a quick crack at it and without taking it apart I can't see
> how I can get the nob on the end of the cable to lock into the slot
> that holds it ...
>
> ie. The cable feeds through then the nob is just 'floating around'
> inside the shifter. I can see the path the cable needs to run down and
> where the nob locks in but can't get it down there without taking it
> apart...and I don't really want to take it apart as I can see a
> thousand pieces going everywhere.
>
> Any help appreciated

Do NOT take it apart. Shift it in top gear ( move the black lever behind
the brakelever a zillion times) and the slot in the cablebarrel should
match up with the window
--
---
Marten Gerritsen

INFOapestaartjeM-GINEERINGpuntNL
www.m-gineering.nl

Right - you will see a thousand pieces going everywhere!

Click the levers to each extreme, and at one or the other, you will see
the "socket" into which the knob sits.

On Mar 11, 5:10 am, Jono L <Jono.L.2na...@no-
mx.forums.cyclingforums.com> wrote:
> Hey guys,
>
> When feeding a new cable into a right-hand 06 Ultegra 10spd shifter do
> you have to take it apart first?

Nope, just make sure it is in the 'high gear, small cog' position,
pull the brake, see the hole, thread the cable in.

> Just had a quick crack at it and without taking it apart I can't see
> how I can get the nob on the end of the cable to lock into the slot
> that holds it ...
>
> ie. The cable feeds through then the nob is just 'floating around'
> inside the shifter. I can see the path the cable needs to run down and
> where the nob locks in but can't get it down there without taking it
> apart...and I don't really want to take it apart as I can see a
> thousand pieces going everywhere.
>
> Any help appreciated
>
> Jono
>
> --
> Jono L
>
> BikeNow is a GREAT Shop! I suggest you go there!

Thanks guys.

Unfortunately when I try to click across the shifter only gives about two shifts with the black lever so can't get at the slot in the cable barrel.. hmm shifter may be screwed.