Feeling down about this year.....

KeSs

Jul 21, 2004
Hey everyone,

I have decided to post this in here as a last ditch effort. Before I get started I will tell you about myself. I am 20 years old and I am in my 3rd year racing. I am a Cat 3 racer. I went from Cat 5 - Cat 3 last year. I have won road races before, and last year I am proud to say that I didnt place anything less than 9th for the entire season.This year, I joined up a team and started training in the spring which I didnt do last year. Last year I started training in May & this year I started training in March/Feburary.

Basically I have lost all motivation to train/race. It has been like this since the beginning of July. This year just doesnt seem as rewarding as last year and this has really messed with my head. I know that I am racing at a much more difficult level but I dunno. I have been training longer & harder this year and I havent seen any payoff. My best placing this year was 5th place. I have been dropped from the field in several races. I have noticed that I am giving up a lot easier in my races too. I dont know what the hell has happened to me. I love riding & I love racing. Nothing gets me going like watching people race bikes.

This is how this season started: Started training in the spring, however, I was on and off training for weeks at a time because I kept getting sick this spring. Finally I got the ball rolling in May and I did a few races. I realized that I wasnt in good enough form to do Cat 3 races so I went back to training and stepped it up a notch. Did some races in June and felt really good and thats when I got all my top 15 placements. Then I just started to feel drained. That followed by me getting dropped from races. I duno, its like I dont think I am good enough now or something.

Basically I am lost, I have no idea what to do about my current situation. I know that I have no overtrained because I dont have insomnia, lack of appetite, etc. Only the motivation issues.

Any ideas on what I should do? I have a major race this weekend but I am thinking about just taking a week or so off the bike and skipping the race to clear my head. I know I am not going to do good in it (its a Cat 3 stage race). Thanks!

-Sam

I enjoy the personal glory that comes as well as the sense of accomplishment

KeSs said:
I enjoy the personal glory that comes as well as the sense of accomplishment

I was once in a similar situation in another sport and never achieved what I could have.
I was energetic and enjoyed what I did, I trained in the off season and enjoyed the praise and glory as you say.
My problem was that I never really knew where I wanted to end up.
This may not be your problem. It's just a thought, but you always need a plan.

I cant afford to get a coach so that i dea is sort of out the window. And I do have plans, I pick certain races during the season that I want to win or do well in.

I think most cyclist and athletes go thru what your describing. take a break if that's what you feel you need. if you want to continue to ride, find what motivates you. what keeps me motivated is seeing the progress of my training.
I use to get very frustrated not knowing if my training was working or not. now that i can track my fitness it is a real motivator. good luck.

zaskar said:
I think most cyclist and athletes go thru what your describing. take a break if that's what you feel you need. if you want to continue to ride, find what motivates you. what keeps me motivated is seeing the progress of my training.
I use to get very frustrated not knowing if my training was working or not. now that i can track my fitness it is a real motivator. good luck.
What method do you use to track your fitness, Zaskar?

I am 21 and had many of the same feelings when I was playing ice hockey. As with many sports most of the progression in the beginning is quick and it makes you want to continue to get better. I found when things started to slow down for me or I was working harder but not getting big results I got discouraged. you may not be over training but you might just be burnt out on cycling for awhile try to take some time off or restructure your training plan maybe enter some different events etc being in a rut can seriously kill performance too. Your mind has to be right to compete at an elite level.

Have you had any problems outside of cycling that might have caused your mood to change, break up with a g/f or a new g/f, fights with parents, difficulties in school, new job etc. the brain is a powerful tool it can be used to help or to hinder us maybe stress from other things is causing you to lose motivation. well whatever it maybe good luck getting back to where you were.

your season sounds almost exactly like mine. Last year was my first--;) going from cat 5 to a 3. This year 11th is my best and I have been dropped several times. As young as you are I think a short break would be good. Sometimes we use sports to cushion our ego and when that cushion goes so goes our appetite for the sport, Myself, I used to Rock climb and kayak for a few years-as I got to a level where it was challenging I realized that I didn't actually love these sports-I loved telling people I did these sports,come to think of it I never really wanted to go climb or boat;and I was always happiest when it was over with. I realized that my image and persona were so dependent on this that I had been doing it for all the wrong reasons. So I followed my heart and thought I'll try cycling even though I know I'll suck because I have asthma and smoke ganja occasionally--plus I didn't want to brag about being one of those guys you see out on the road in spandex. I did it anyway because I love riding my bike and though I initially tasted sucess I try to remember that I like this whether or not I'm good at it. By the way,I am planning on going kayaking and climbing again quite soon to remind myself how shitty I am at those and how good I am at cycling.