Feeling sick in the morning!

Logic Zero

Oct 21, 2007
Hi guys,

Just recently got myself a nice bianchi road bike. Been out for around 2 weeks now and training is going good. In the evenings I can do 12 miles at 16-18mph, which I'm very proud of! However in the mornings I feel really sick, even if I eat properly and wait for an hour or two. I seem to have so much more energy in the evening. Is this something that cures itself over time?

Thanks!

If your morning sickness is due to a pregnancy then, yes, that will cure itself within about 9 months. ;)

Otherwise, no idea; maybe you're just not a morning person...

Thanks for the reply, I'm just a little concerned because I know i'm getting better and better, but I would like to join a cycling club in a few months and everybody cycles in the morning! I just don't seem to be able to do it! :(

O.k., I'll try some more suggestions: Are you warming up in the morning before your ride? Some people can go from just-out-of-bed to all-out hammering within 15 minutes, with no particular preparation, but some require a bit more effort to first get their cardiovascular system in gear. You could try some warm-up exercises before getting on the bike.

Also, you could play with what you eat before your morning rides. Maybe try some of the newfangled gels that some riders swear by; these also come in varieties with added caffeine, if it turns out that that's what you need.

I have built up over some months to about 2 hours, about 30 miles of riding daily, 4-6 days a week. I have begun to sleep a lot more, usually about 9 hours when I used to sleep 7-8. I could sleep up to 10 hours regularly if I had the time. I sleep like a rock now after heavy exercise and often have a pretty hard time getting out of bed.

For the first couple hours after getting up I feel a bit nauseous. Packing myself full of a good breakfast helps it subside but sometimes it really sucks, choking down my cereal, yogurt and vitamins. Also I drink a cup of green tea and half a scoop of N.O.Explode which helps me shake the sleep off and feel better.

My bike ride to work usually does the final bit of waking me up and at that point I have fine energy for the rest of the day. I guess my body just needs some serious recovery after ramping up the exercise. Perhaps after a couple more months it won't affect me as much.

im not a morning person and that has to do with some of it but heres what to do that helped me...

dont drink any milk or orange juice or anything like that
dont really eat breakfasty type foods
just eat like some bread or some bars or something or a piece of fruit but dont eat a lot. take some with you so you dont have to eat a lot before you go
drink lots of water
**** as much as you can before you leave

Sleeping is a big thing for me also. When I am out of training I can get by with as little as 4 to 5 hours but when i am "training" I can sleep 13-14 hours!
I also can never eat in the morning. I force down a cereal bar or banana and take food with me and eat about 30mins into the ride.