Feeling sick while racing........

Bluey_27

Mar 19, 2004
Hi, im 14 and just started racing. i need some advice on how to not feel sick during races. It only happens when im really working hard (attacking or in a break) ... my stomach starts to feel worse than my legs. At first I though it was rebound hypoglycemia , but i didn't eat anything 1 hour before racing..... How can i stop this from happening????????
Thanks

plz, i need an answer soon..............................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................

post your pre-race diet and the events you're racing.

I've had the occasional spew after intense track work, so don;t feel like you're on your own!!

pre race diet.....eat weet bix and drink lots a water about 2hours before race

Im only racing in short criteriums and i dont feel bad after i stop, just while riding hard...

Bluey_27 said:
pre race diet.....eat weet bix and drink lots a water about 2hours before race

Im only racing in short criteriums and i dont feel bad after i stop, just while riding hard...

How much water? You must be desperate for a **** before you line up on the start...lol.

It means you are in your optimum HR target zone, just puke and keep pedaling. Happens to me in sprint swims. Really makes you high, wait till you are 18 and have the same feeling with sex. :eek:

It means you are in your optimum HR target zone, just puke and keep pedaling. Happens to me in sprint swims. Really makes you high, wait till you are 18 and have the same feeling with sex.

wow you must get a pretty good workout.....do u do the same thing, puke and keep goin?????lol

I felt sick and still won this weeks race.............now their talkin about puttin me in B grade :eek: :eek: :eek:

You may find a lighter meal in the morning is better, say a banana and some skim milk. Have the carbs (weetbix) for supper the night before.

Good workout, yes, not bad for an old fart at 55.

I had the same problem. Keeping a higher overall hydration level helped (drink more water all the time) and cutting out on the dairy also helped. Milk has a tendency to make me feel that way if I drink any within 12 hours before riding.

I made the mistake of ignoring that feeling one day and it grew so bad that I could not stand up at all when I finished riding (only a 7.5 mile ride but had some very hard hills to climb). I learned some huge lessons there that carried into a mountain half-century I did in September.

Good luck,
Jonathan

gclark8 said:
You may find a lighter meal in the morning is better, say a banana and some skim milk. Have the carbs (weetbix) for supper the night before.

Good workout, yes, not bad for an old fart at 55.

I'd strongly disagree with this. Eating a good breakfast is crucial.

Roadie_scum said:
I'd strongly disagree with this. Eating a good breakfast is crucial.
It depends what time the race is.

The only time I feel sick is when I haven't warmed up properly, and when I've eaten too much and/or too soon prior to very intense efforts.

We're not all the same, and I find that even a small meal two hours before very intense efforts is far too soon.

Also, it's my understanding (and experience) that the airways have to been warmed up along with the legs. Ever tried doing all-out track sprints with only 5 laps warm up? BLAH!! Takes me half an hour to get over it.

So, if your races are early (or earlyish) in the morning, I'd consider having a very, very light breakfast (or even skipping it, and have a larger and later than normal meal the night before.

Also, if your races start off very quick, right from the jump, try to get in a warmup with some intensity, perhaps by riding to the race.

Fat Hack said:

If the race is early, get up earlier and eat. (You can go back to sleep afterwards if you have to). It's not rocket science.

Here's a basic plan for pre-race nutrition:
3 Hours Before - Substantial meal: Low Glycaemic Index, CHO dense, low protein, low fat. EG - oats, muesli, porridge, other breakfast cereal, wholemeal toast with jam. Drink water.

2 1/2-1 Hour before - Nibble on low GI high CHO foods, sip at water.

1/2 Hour before - Sip sports drink instead of water.

10-5 Minutes before - Drink 300ml sports drink+ (as much as your gut can take if you want and the event is >hour). Maybe have a sports gel.

Be sensible. If something makes you sick, don't eat it. Don't stuff around with supplements, etc. Keep it simple, keep the carb coming, stay away from protein and fat in large quantities.

Fat Hack said:

The only time I feel sick is when I haven't warmed up properly, and when I've eaten too much and/or too soon prior to very intense efforts.

We're not all the same, and I find that even a small meal two hours before very intense efforts is far too soon.

Also, it's my understanding (and experience) that the airways have to been warmed up along with the legs. Ever tried doing all-out track sprints with only 5 laps warm up? BLAH!! Takes me half an hour to get over it.

So, if your races are early (or earlyish) in the morning, I'd consider having a very, very light breakfast (or even skipping it, and have a larger and later than normal meal the night before.

Also, if your races start off very quick, right from the jump, try to get in a warmup with some intensity, perhaps by riding to the race.

I agree with you about doing a long warmup involving some intensity. The duration and nature of the warmup is related to the event to be raced. I don't think this relates to breakfast or pre-race nutrition at all. The key (to not feeling sick due to CHO intake) is to eat foods that go down easy. There is a fair amount of (scientific peer reviewed and published) evidence that fasting drops performance in both sprint and endurance events. There is also evidence that CHO intake prior to exercise improves performance substantially in endurance events. It may take a little while to find the right pre-race routine for an individual, but avoiding CHO intake prior to races is sacrificing performance.