Feeling sweet on a bicycle built for - who?

Discussion in 'Australia and New Zealand' started by ghostgum, Oct 9, 2005.

  1. ghostgum

    ghostgum New Member

    Joined:
    Aug 30, 2005
    The NYTimes article on bike seats and anatomy is given another spin
    http://www.theage.com.au/news/opinion/feeling-the-lycra-squeeze/2005/10/09/1128796403338.html

    Tags:

  2. cfsmtb

    cfsmtb New Member

    Joined:
    Apr 11, 2003
    Messages:
    4,963

    Another storm in a tea (or should that be chamois?) Do the authors of the article in The Journal of Sexual Medicine know *anything* about basic geometry/setup of a bike? Do they even care? Regardless, anyone who rides around numb for any length of time without adjusting their bikes basic geometry must be fecking numbnuts.

  3. TimC

    TimC Guest

    On 2005-10-10, cfsmtb (aka Bruce)
    > Regardless, anyone who rides around numb for any length of time
    > without adjusting their bikes basic geometry must be fecking
    > numbnuts.

    Dear cfsmtb: you are my hero.

    Is that a pun, or is something like that given a different name?

    --
    TimC
    HANDLE WITH EXTREME CARE: This Product Contains Minute Electrically

  4. Um - I don't think that far ahead. Possibly combination of
    stream-of-consciousness + tautology? Glad you liked it. tootle-pips.

    c;)

  5. Plodder

    Plodder Guest

    "cfsmtb" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > Another storm in a tea (or should that be chamois?) Do the authors of
    > the article in The Journal of Sexual Medicine know *anything* about
    > basic geometry/setup of a bike? Do they even care? Regardless, anyone
    > who rides around numb for any length of time without adjusting their
    > bikes basic geometry must be fecking numbnuts.
    >

    > --
    > cfsmtb

    I dunno. Many casual cyclists I know think discomfort is part of riding a
    bike. They think a sore bum, numb bits and sore hands is part of the deal.
    The common solution? Only ride a few km, slowly, tottering about on shared
    paths through parks, seat low enough so they can put both feet flat on the
    ground with knees bent, saddle at whatever angle it was when they bought the
    bike, etc, etc. Exactly the kind of rider who will then leave the bike in
    the shed because it hurts to ride. Exactly the kind of rider who will be put
    off by articles like this instead of investigating causes (because they
    don't know there's something to investigate).

    The blame for poor fit for these casuals lies with bike retailers.
    Supermarkets because they have nobody to advise their Huffy buyers and bike
    shops for not explaining fit in detail, even (especially when?) it's only a
    $200 bike.

    By stating what you do above you're assuming everyone knows what questions
    to ask and where to go for answers. That's a pretty elitist assumption: that
    everyone cares for their bike as people on this and other bike groups do.
    Not everyone is a 'keen cyclist". Many, many people just want to pootle
    around on a Sunday morning and makethemselves feel good about getting some
    exercise. Articles like this make those people take up golf... and keep
    driving rather than riding.

    Cheers,

    Frank

  6. cfsmtb

    cfsmtb New Member

    Joined:
    Apr 11, 2003
    Messages:
    4,963

    It's not an elitist assumption. A certain percentage of the population when faced with a problem probably will take steps to educate themselves in order to solve it. Another percentage can't/won't/shalnt - and unfortunately end up utilising a service industry/medical practitioner to repair it for them. ie: think Podiatrists, Cardiologists, Chiropractors, Cleaning Services, Smash Repairers etc etc etc. It's education vs regulation and legislation. The bike industry has a huge role in designing adequate models for domestic markets - but invaribly churn out cheap lowend imports. Any possible solution to that comes from cyclists, as the products end user group, should take a longterm approach educating themselves and working with industry/government to enforce satisfactory production standards. If I had my way, the majority of the shite for sale in Kmart etc would be withdrawn & all bikes for domestic market would come equiped with guards, lights, highly detailed instructional manuals (with relevant local information, links and networking tips) and all that daggy unfashionable stuff. Back to the saddle positions for a moment, this again could be seen as an example of condenscending and/or ignorant attitudes towards cyclists and cycling in general. Populist stuff without hard data analysis is relatively easy copy to spin in the media - and we should object to it at every opportunity.

  7. cfsmtb

    cfsmtb Guest

    Resound wrote:
    > A damn good point. I went hunting for information when I started riding,
    > that's how I found a.b. The community on this group seems to have inquiring
    > minds as a common feature as much as cycling. So now we're faced with the
    > issue that plagues so many other groups, namely how you inform the
    > unfortunately large portion of the general public who is not merely
    > apathetic about but often actively hostile to instruction? By the way, if we
    > work out how to do this, we're going to be beset on all sides by the
    > education community, the health industry etc etc :) Hmm...offer an interview
    > to 'lifestyle' tv shows on one way to 'beat rising petrol prices'?

    Either we form a advertising company, float it on the stock exchange &
    make lots of $$$. Or invent the ultimate rumour that proports cycling
    as alluring and deadset sexy. Or somefink like that....

  8. Resound

    Resound Guest

    "cfsmtb" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Resound wrote:
    >> A damn good point. I went hunting for information when I started riding,
    >> that's how I found a.b. The community on this group seems to have
    >> inquiring
    >> minds as a common feature as much as cycling. So now we're faced with the
    >> issue that plagues so many other groups, namely how you inform the
    >> unfortunately large portion of the general public who is not merely
    >> apathetic about but often actively hostile to instruction? By the way, if
    >> we
    >> work out how to do this, we're going to be beset on all sides by the
    >> education community, the health industry etc etc :) Hmm...offer an
    >> interview
    >> to 'lifestyle' tv shows on one way to 'beat rising petrol prices'?

    > Either we form a advertising company, float it on the stock exchange &
    > make lots of $$$. Or invent the ultimate rumour that proports cycling
    > as alluring and deadset sexy. Or somefink like that....

    Or turn the tables on 'normal'

    "Haven't you ever ridden in to work?"
    "No."
    *in backing away and avoiding eye contact tone of voice* "Ooookay. I suppose
    there's nothing wrong with that..."

  9. cfsmtb

    cfsmtb New Member

    Joined:
    Apr 11, 2003
    Messages:
    4,963

    Later rumour mongering in the office:

    "Hey, heard the latest on Macca down in Accounts?"

    "Nah?"

    "He doesn't ride in from home"

    "Shessh, I always though he was a bit of a freak"

    "And guess what else?"

    "Wot?"

    "He's only got one bike - and a Kmart shitter at that!"

    (sounds of muffled giggling)

  10. hippy

    hippy New Member

    Joined:
    Sep 5, 2003
    Messages:
    1,806
    LOL! :D

    Just take it easy with that "only got one bike" thing! :(

    hippy
    "Get a job ya bum!"

  11. EuanB

    EuanB New Member

    Joined:
    Jan 11, 2005
    *cough* I've only got one bike. 45,000 kms and counting.

  12. hippy

    hippy New Member

    Joined:
    Sep 5, 2003
    Messages:
    1,806
    I need to find a small piece of paper with an odo reading on it so I can work out how far I rode on my little euro vacation..

    hippy
    Nov 30th - Franz Ferdinand LIVE! :D