Feet going to sleep really bad

crober05

Aug 17, 2009
I have been wearing Louis Garneau shoes with speed play pedals and clips. After I ride about 8 to 10 miles my right foot goes to sleep really bad and the left one somewhat. I've tried everything I know solve the problem. I've tried to ride standing up for a few pumps to let blood circulate better, tried positioning my foot in many different ways and nothing helps. This is the only problem I have while riding. PLEASE HELP! I love to ride, but this is getting to me. I just purchased a pair of specialized shoes in a bigger size. I hope that solves my problem. My only other thoughts would be the seat positioning. Maybe its cutting off the circulation. We'll see tomorrow nigh. Any hel on this would be awesome.

1. Tightening straps/buckle too tightly. Loosen.
2. Cleat position too far forward. Move cleats back - within reason.
These solutions have helped me in the past with similar issues - though not as extreme as yours.

8 to 10 miles isn't much distance for that to happen. Something must be unusual either with your position, or how you're riding. Maybe if you tell us a bit more about your bike, your riding position, etc., someone can help you with this. Are you really pushing down on the pedal hard the whole 10 miles?

I vote that it is the shoes. I suggest trying a new pair but go to a shop and try some on before you buy.

tonyzackery said:
1. Tightening straps/buckle too tightly. Loosen.
2. Cleat position too far forward. Move cleats back - within reason.
These solutions have helped me in the past with similar issues - though not as extreme as yours.

i'm leaving my straps as loose as I possibly can. I'm riding a Trek 1.5 road bike that I feel extremely comfortable on except for this numbing issue. The cleats are as far forward as they can go and actually feel like they're not far enough for me which leads me to believe my shoes might be to small. I was fit on the day the first day I purchased it without my shoes and cleats and I've considered taking the bike back and asking them to look at me on the bike with the shoes on that I'm riding in.

longfemur said:
8 to 10 miles isn't much distance for that to happen. Something must be unusual either with your position, or how you're riding. Maybe if you tell us a bit more about your bike, your riding position, etc., someone can help you with this. Are you really pushing down on the pedal hard the whole 10 miles?

I don't feel like I'm pushing down too hard, but hard enough to keep up thats for sure. I've only been riding for 4 months now and I'm with a group that rides at about a 20 mph pace. This is fast for me at this point in my cycle life because I've never ridden before (and I'm 43 yr old female). I think its time for someone with real experience and technique to help me tweak a few things about my riding that will help. I'm hoping to find someone that will work with me because I want to get better. I bought new shoes that have better arch support and my foot already feels better in the shoes. I'll know tonight - we're taking a short 20 mile ride. Thanks I'll pay close attention to my pedal pressure.

crober05 said:
Riding with a new pair tonight. We'll see.

My wife had the same problem and a new pair of shoes completely solved the issue.
The issues now is how to get all the dust off her bike.:rolleyes:

crober05 said:
i'm leaving my straps as loose as I possibly can. I'm riding a Trek 1.5 road bike that I feel extremely comfortable on except for this numbing issue. The cleats are as far forward as they can go and actually feel like they're not far enough for me which leads me to believe my shoes might be to small. I was fit on the day the first day I purchased it without my shoes and cleats and I've considered taking the bike back and asking them to look at me on the bike with the shoes on that I'm riding in.

In addition to the change of shoes suggestion, I've bolded what I believe is the cause(s) of your issues...Have someone in the know move the cleats on your shoes back towards the rear of the shoe in small increments over a period of time...this serves to take pressure off the balls of your feet.

Hi,
There could be a few factors,as stated by others, shoes to tight pressing a nerve on the top of foot,cleats too far forward,bigger shoes could make the problem worse as the max movement will start from a position further forward.Position, do you have a side on pic of you on your bike in your riding position?Sometimes if your too low, ie tribars, the main artery suplying blood to your leg can be restricted(like taking a hose pipe and bending it past 90 degrees).
I hope this helps

crober05 said:
I have been wearing Louis Garneau shoes with speed play pedals and clips. After I ride about 8 to 10 miles my right foot goes to sleep really bad and the left one somewhat. I've tried everything I know solve the problem. I've tried to ride standing up for a few pumps to let blood circulate better, tried positioning my foot in many different ways and nothing helps. This is the only problem I have while riding. PLEASE HELP! I love to ride, but this is getting to me. I just purchased a pair of specialized shoes in a bigger size. I hope that solves my problem. My only other thoughts would be the seat positioning. Maybe its cutting off the circulation. We'll see tomorrow nigh. Any hel on this would be awesome.

crober05 said:

When fitting your shoes, do you allow for the fact that your feet swell during exercise.

n crowley said:
When fitting your shoes, do you allow for the fact that your feet swell during exercise.

I bought a pair of specialized in a size larger and the problem has improved at least 75%. My next step is to see if my seat position is correct. I was fitted for my bike without shoes and I might be sitting an inch or two to low now. I really appreciate all the thoughts and ideas. I will get a pic of me in my riding position so any of you can make suggestions on that as well.