Fell Off Bike... Can't Get it To Move by Pedaling :(

Lovely

May 17, 2011
Hi All!

New to this forum, and very excited! I got a new bike (Southern Cross, comfort) for my birthday in April, and I've been riding to and from work every (work) day. It only takes 15 to 20 minutes. I'm hoping to be able to bike more on the weekend. My girlfriend just got a new bike, and we're in the process of assembling it, so YAY! We'll be riding together soon!

Tonight, I went around the corner to get some food. Dogs barked at me on the way, and I was a little shaken up. I was hoping not to see them on the way back, but I did. And they saw me. They barked and chased, and I kept edging over until I was almost into someone's hedge and fell over to the left side. Now when I pedal, the bike doesn't move. I couldn't even walk to bike the rest of the way without a good bit of effort. Like the wheel was laboured in moving. I'm not worried about my scratches. Just want my bike to be okay, and I'd like to be able to fix it without much money. Anyone can guess at what's wrong and how I can fix it?

It sounds like one or both of your derailleurs might be messed up. The rear could be interfering with the spokes, or the front could be interfering with one of the chainrings. Without pictures, there are many, many possibilities, though.

Jason

Another thought: your brakes may be out of adjustment and rubbing.

Jason

Thanks for the reply!

I had to leave my bike home today. Didn't have time to have a closer look this morning. I'll post a picture tonight. I remember noticing the chain hanging a bit on the right side. Less of a straight line, more of a u shape. I'm hoping it's just the brake. Easier to fix, right?

FWIW. Sight unseen, it sounds as though you simply knocked your rear wheel akimbo, and you simply need to loosen the quick release OR axle nuts ([COLOR= #808080]depending on how the rear wheel is secured[/COLOR]), re-center the wheel so the tire isn't rubbing against the chainstay, re-secure the rear axle, and you should be good to go ...

Hopefully, you didn't flat spot the tire too badly.

I couldn't get pictures to upload here, so I tried embedding:

2h5k2z6.jpg

n4jhw8.jpg

wjdids.jpg

73nt4m.jpg

30ky8nc.jpg

27z936h.jpg

Links (in case embedding doesn't work):
http://tinypic.com/r/2h5k2z6/7
http://tinypic.com/r/n4jhw8/7
http://tinypic.com/r/wjdids/7
http://tinypic.com/r/73nt4m/7
http://tinypic.com/r/30ky8nc/7
http://tinypic.com/r/27z936h/7

Please have a look at let me know if you have any thoughts/ideas. I've already checked the brakes. One was below the rim, and I've adjusted now. Now the problem seems to be in the chain area. Pedaling does absolutely nothing.

Edit: The clear plastic circular piece between the back wheel and the chain... Should that be right up against the spokes of the wheel? Mine is...
Also, if someone could post a picture of their chain system so I know what mine should look like, that'd be great. I don't know why I don't have pictures of every part of my bike when in perfect condition. Now I know better!

I say the time has come to strike back. Two legs good, four legs bad...../img/vbsmilies/smilies/ROTF.gif

It looks like the rear derailleur is bent the wrong way and the chain is
off on the front.

It should look like this, just a pic, not the same as yours, but they are all
similar.

The chain is off the front chain ring. Pull the chain up onto the gear teeth on the front sprocket and you should be back in business. There is nothing wrong with your rear derailluer. It just looks like it is broken because there is no tension on it from the chain and it has pivotted back as far as it will go.

I think you're driveline issue will go away when you put your chain back on. Grab the lower chain and pull it forward slightly until you engage it on a few teeth UNDER the middle front chainring. Then spin your pedals in reverse (counterclockwise) until the chain "walks" its way back on the chainring all the way around. You may have some resistance as the chain nears the top of the chainring ... if so, probably the chain binding against the front derailleur cage. Use your left shift lever to reposition the derailleur if necessary and keep rotating the crank backward until the chain is all the way on.

You said you fell to your left, so your "gears" should be fine unless you stepped on they when getting up. Also check your left brake lever to see if you bent it when you fell. If you did, it may not fully extend, which might cause the front brake pads to drag on your rim. If so, you;'l have to repair/replace. The clear plastic spoke protector is where it should be.

Dogs are a challenge. Most of the time they just like to chase and bark. On rare occasions they need the biggest kick you can give them ... just not in the mouth if you can help it. Those teeth are sharp. :) Have fun riding!

Originally Posted by Lovely .
Please have a look at let me know if you have any thoughts/ideas. I've already checked the brakes. One was below the rim, and I've adjusted now. Now the problem seems to be in the chain area. Pedaling does absolutely nothing.

Edit: The clear plastic circular piece between the back wheel and the chain... Should that be right up against the spokes of the wheel? Mine is...
Also, if someone could post a picture of their chain system so I know what mine should look like, that'd be great. I don't know why I don't have pictures of every part of my bike when in perfect condition. Now I know better!

Ifyou push on the back of the derailleur, push the pulley wheel forward so the cage swings to the down position (shown in other poster's picture), it will allow more slack up front so that it is easier to work.

The chain may be wedged between the front rings and the frame. So you may need to work it out. Sometimes gentle easy movements are more effective than getting frustrated and yanking the chain.

Ahhh, yes! Got the chain back on. I test rode it in the kitchen, and it seemed a little wonky. Changed gear (on left side) which seemed to fix it. I could only really do about 3 full pedal rotations in my little apartment kitchen, so that's all I have to go on. I'll see how it goes in the morning, but it seems like it's fixed. Thank you very much for your help. Your explanations/instructions are great. :)

Hi Lovely, I signed up to reply to this thread, having lurked for a little while. I don't wish to sound rude with my first post but if this is genuine and you honestly couldn't see that your chain wasn't on I really think you should get some help assembling your girlfriends bike as you mentioned in your original post, seriously, she could end up badly injured.