Felt carbon: Great deal or "you get what you pay for"

grampy bone

Jul 18, 2004
The 2005 Felt F2C is a full carbon, dura ace bike for $2500. This seems very low and makes me wonder about the quality. Has anyone ridden this beast? I've read about some problems with Felt BB's. Anyone have any experiences with Felt in general?

For $2500 I think it's a great bike - but for 2-300 more you can get on a Madone 5.2, which I think is actually more bike at that price level.

MaxPrime said:
For $2500 I think it's a great bike - but for 2-300 more you can get on a Madone 5.2, which I think is actually more bike at that price level.
For 2-300 more, I bet it doesn't come with Dura Ace. Maybe I'm wrong.

Wow, I didn't know felt was making a CF roadbike. Looks interesting at that price, I'd definitely give 'er a whirl!

It is not a full Dura Ace bike for one thing. My guess is that it is similar to a Scattante (Supergo) type frame. Doesn't mean it's bad. My girlfriend has a Scattante carbon bike with Ultegra and it's one hell of a value and one heck of a bike. Very light with zero problems so far. My theory on marketing is, perceived value is directly correlated to the price. If you slapped some Fondriest decals on a Scattante and sold the frame for $2800, you'd sell a ton! I have a 95 Trek OCLV with 03/04 Record and have been riding/racing for 20 years and I'm still waiting for a product other that aero bars or crazy priced wheels that cost me a months salary that will ACTUALLY make me go faster.

Buy it, ride it, have some fun!

I have been lookking at the F2C also. I have an F85 lowend bike that has been very good to me. They have earned my loyalty and I may stick with them for my next bike purchase. As fpr the comment on not being full dura-ace, the cranks seem to be the only thing that is not DA. The rest (the stuff that counts) looks to be all DA. Buy one and let me know if I should get one. =)

StillRiding5500 said:
My guess is that it is similar to a Scattante (Supergo) type frame.

I wouldn't put Felt in the supergo category. They've been around a while building very respectable frames. Felt sponsors Barb Linquist, the #1 female triathlete, and team colavita seem to be OK with their frames.

New Fuji Carbons are nicer. Felts says the F1C has a replaceable hanger but doesnt say that about the 2C.

RC2 said:
I wouldn't put Felt in the supergo category. They've been around a while building very respectable frames. Felt sponsors Barb Linquist, the #1 female triathlete, and team colavita seem to be OK with their frames.
Yeah,but are they building the frame or farming it out? Could be a rebadged Scattante.

boudreaux said:
Yeah,but are they building the frame or farming it out? Could be a rebadged Scattante.
Thank You, Boudreaux. Also, I don't know why some people think Taiwanese manufacturing is lower tier. The quality is on par with ANYONE else's. If you think differently, prove it. The only real problem is, their products have little or no cachet points. Look at a Weyless carbon fiber water bottle cage, for instance and compare it with the ones that are twice to three times the price. And don't just say, "Well, its only a water bottle cage, not a frame." The point is, those cages are indicative of the overall manufacturing quality/technique in general. Look at Giant CF frames. The are very, very nice.

Bring on the Flames, and let loose the dogs of war....

StillRiding5500 said:
Thank You, Boudreaux. Also, I don't know why some people think Taiwanese manufacturing is lower tier. The quality is on par with ANYONE else's. If you think differently, prove it. .
Did I say anything that even resembled that? They turn out some ****,and some good stuff too.

boudreaux said:
Did I say anything that even resembled that? They turn out some ****,and some good stuff too.

Everyone turns out craps but when its made in the USA ****,it still costs.

I don't think Taiwanese manufacturing is low-tier, that is a blanket statement. Look at felts, high-end specializeds and many other frames and it's obvious there's nothing about being Taiwanes the precludes an ability to make TIG weld just as good as an american or european welder.

And no they aren't assembled out of a taiwanese catalog and stamped "Felt", their design/material/manufacture/etc. are spec'ed by Jim Felt, an ex-easton tubeset engineer with industry clout. They've won a lot of pro races including an olympic medal. No knocks to Taiwan's manufacturing capability (and I've never ridden a supergo bike so I'll take you word that they're fantastic) but I see a difference here.

boudreaux said:
No you didn't say anything that resembled that. Do you think everything is about you? I said "some" people......

Why do I bother.............

boudreaux said:
Maybe you should bother with coherent sentence structure.
Boodwrex, you are basically contentious and probably mean. Here is an idea. Get away from your computer and go ride one of your bikes if you still remember how. Anyone who pops off over 3300 posts in a year needs to reevaluate their existance. And that 3300+ is just in this bicycle chat forum. BTW, you will get the last word because I just don't care enough to respond to anymore of your posts. So go for it!

StillRiding5500 said:
Boodwrex, you are basically contentious and probably mean. Here is an idea. Get away from your computer and go ride one of your bikes if you still remember how. Anyone who pops off over 3300 posts in a year needs to reevaluate their existance. And that 3300+ is just in this bicycle chat forum. BTW, you will get the last word because I just don't care enough to respond to anymore of your posts. So go for it!

You'll get use to him after awhile.