Felt F35/F45/AC1

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Lasalles, Oct 20, 2003.

1. Lasalles

Lasalles New Member

Does anyone have the 04 Felt F35 or the F45 yet??? I was planning on purchasing the AC1 frame and fork and building it up with campag rather than purchase a complete bike with the shimano.
    If anyone has one,what are your thoughts of either of the bikes???

Tags:

2. Lasalles

Lasalles New Member

No one rides a Felt road bike??? How come???

3. cachehiker

cachehiker New Member

Felt Racing is number one on my list when I'm once again gainfully employed. They are a very good value indeed. Their compact frames run long and low and the 52cm fits my short legs and long torso perfectly. A LBS is a Felt distributor and they have a big following here among the club racers. Although I've only taken one out for a 5-6 mile test spin, I don't know of anybody here who has not been very happy with theirs. This is also testament to the fitting skills of the LBS owners who aren't afraid to recommend Bianchi to those with longer legs.

I'm trying to decide between an F45 and an F50. I'd like to go to an FSA Compact Pro 34/50 crank, so the F45 would make for a cheaper upgrade since it is already a double. But I like the White/Blue colors and the wheelset of the F50 better. After all, everybody here seems to ride Ksyriums and the Equipes aren't anything special. I like to deviate from the norm.

The F35 is also sweet bike that will be seriously considered. However, if I actually end up in that price range, I'll probably start looking at a custom cyclocross bike built on a Kona Major Jake frame. I think a good cross bike would be a blast; and with a second set of wheels for strictly road use, it would make a much better road bike than my old Trek too.

4. lokstah

lokstah New Member

A friend rides a Felt F15, full Dura Ace / Ksyrium SLs. Lightweight, sleek, well made, and a good value.

5. Lasalles

Lasalles New Member

Thanks guys,the Felts are great value for money in Oz.. I was worried that i hadnt read anything from people who ride them.Also i was concerned that they were primarily designed for triathletes.

6. lokstah

lokstah New Member

Nah, they're great; they just don't have massive distribution out here, for some reason. Although they seem to be picking up... two local shops near me just started carrying Felt within the past 6 months.

7. vince_tang

vince_tang New Member

Hey Lasalles do you know any bike shops that stock Felt bikes in Sydney? The only one i've come across is Inner City Cycles which is more a triathalon store.

8. Lasalles

Lasalles New Member

What area are you from Vince???

9. vince_tang

vince_tang New Member

I'm from Campsie, sort of inner west. Closest bike shops i know of are at Burwood and Ashfield. Not sure if i should go searching for a Felt or something the LBS stocks.

10. Lasalles

Lasalles New Member

Im sendin you a PM, check LJS Bikes at Mt Annan...Lees a top bloke...

11. Jaguar27

Jaguar27 New Member

One thing I like about Felt Bikes is the color -co-ordination..

But anyway, I bought a Felt F85, a 2003 model which was on sale for US$460.00 and I must say, I'm absolutely delighted with it..

Mind you, I did test ride a couple of entry level Treks and Giant, they're nice too...

I've done 90 miles on my Felt (3 rides) and it is soooo comfy, that sela italia seat, which is normally an aftermarket thing, I believe, is amazing...I've been riding a Comfort Bike up untill now, so I'm no Lance Armstrong....

In fact, yesterday, I was out riding with my wife (she has a new Giant) and we were overtaken by 6 very professional looking Road Bikers, so I accelerated a little and kept up with them for around 4 miles, they had Cannondales, Le-Mond's and some other very spendy looking rides....

It must be my ability, not the Bike...YEAH RIGHT!!! :D

But next year I'll upgrade, I do around 30-90 miles a week, so at $460.00 I figure I'll have got my money's worth out of me new steed....It'll still probably fetch $360.00 on ebay....
    Cheap fun if you ask me....:p

12. zotma

zotma New Member

hey, my friend rides last years F-45 and she's been really happy with it.
    she was actually thinking of getting a newer/upgraded bike (because of a killer deal, not because of being unhappy with the bike) and offered me the Felt (as I'm getting a bike in the next week or so).
    I'm tempted
    I'm wondering what would you all do if you had to choose between a used 02 Felt F-45 with over 2500 miles on it or get a new Giant TCR alloy 04?
    hmmmm?

13. Jaguar27

Jaguar27 New Member

Well, I think it depends on whether her Felt will fit you or not, have you riden it? and also your Budget....

Supergo always have great deals on Felt, at least the 2003 models, they seem to put the Bikes together very well too..in fact I saw a felt going for almost $7000.00 while I was in the store...

:eek:

14. zotma

zotma New Member

I haven't been on her bike (as she lives a state away) but we're the same build/height for the most part. Of course I'd have to ride it before making a final decision.
    the $$$ isn't a factor so much. have enough for either bike.
    the giant fits like a glove.
    and
    our supergo didn't have any felts at all
    wonder what's up with that
    that 7000$ job musta been sweet

15. Jaguar27

Jaguar27 New Member

No Felt's at your local Supergo? Our local branch is in Mission Viejo, So Cal and they have a LOT of them...although they don't show any at all on their web site...

They also carry a lot of Cannondale, Specialized etc...

I was pepared to pay up to around $2000 for a Bike, I almost bought a Cannondale from my LBS, it was $1850, a very nice Bike obviously, and also very lightweight (It should be for almost two grand)

My F85 weighs 21.5 Lbs....

Incidentaly, I was always told I needed a 56cm, and rode a lot of them...then, I test-rode the felt I now have, they had a 60,54 and some other larger size, so I rode the 54...the stand-over height is perfect and so is the reach (I'm 5' 11"), in fact, after about 120 miles in the last 2 weeks I haven't even felt the need to adjust the saddle....

I was shopping for about 2 months for a new Bike, I rode Cannondales, Specialized, Giant and Trek....all great Bikes, I had no affiliation to any particular brand, but one thing I noticed about Feltracing Bikes is that they offer a lot more bang for the Buck and also the quality is absolutely first class...

Oh, only one problem so far, the Handle Bar tape came apart in one section, so I unwound and re-wound it, the actual length of the tape seems to be too short on one side...

I think I'll replace both sides, does anyone have any tips on the best kind of tape and also, the best way of applying it?

I'm just getting back into cycling, I haven't ridden since I was 16 (that was too and from school), so I'm in a learning curve at the moment....

:confused:

16. zotma

zotma New Member

our supergo is brand spankin new (tucson is a slow town for commerce but a good town for cycling)
    I think the Felts are getting round california faster (better reps there?)
    my buddy is in the bay area (SF, ca.)
    except for the tape (sorry, no tips there) sounds like I can add you to the list of happy Felt riders.

17. Jaguar27

Jaguar27 New Member

Well, as far as I'm concerned, Felt get two Thumbs up....

Probably the reason Felt is stocked at our local Supergo is that it's a local Company, they're based in Lake Forest, SoCal, which is probably 5 miles away from supergo....but I'm sure your SG will catch up....

have you been to feltracing.com ?

I did a quick search on Bar Tape FYI, and apparently some say start wrapping at the Bar ends, some from the stem (middle)...so who knows....

I'm sorry I haven't been much help in your decision, I guess at the end of the Day you should go for whatever feels good...

18. Lasalles

Lasalles New Member

My mate just got a 2004 Felt AC1 frame to build up and this thing is a piece of artwork!!!

19. drewski

drewski New Member

i was doing some Felt research and came on this thread.

the new tape's probably long on, but here's my tips.

definitely start at the bar-ends. my reasoning is that on the upper curve going to the brake hoods the edges will be facing away from you so pressure from your palms there will not lift the edges.

also, when you're starting wrapping at the bar-ends, go over the top of the bar toward the bike frame and not away. this way, when you get to the bar tops, the tape is wrapping over the top of the bar towards you. when you grip the top when climbing it will be sort of "self-tightening".

i like the cork tape and i also use electrical tape to secure the ends rather than the supplied tape. it stretches well to get a good tight seal.

oh, and anyone have an opinion on the Felt Tri-bikes? S25 or S22?

20. Lasalles

Lasalles New Member

Ive seen the S25 at my local shop and it looks awesome.Was pretty cheap too for your average Joe to be able to get a top tri bike without shelling out hguge $$$.Well Done Felt again...