Felt F3C in Sydney

HT606

Jan 25, 2006
Hi all,

I have always liked Felt bikes (dont ask me why...). I have spent a few months on a TREK 1000 and have really become a keen cyclist and want to upgrade. I wanted carbon for better climbing and just because... its... errr.... carbon!

Long story short, I came across this:
http://www.bicyclestore.com.au/Felt-F3C-pr-20858.html

Under $3900 gets you full carbon and Dura-ace components. I have looked into other options like TREK, Scott CR1's and Cannondales and nothing really came close (not mentioning the italians...). I know I will try each one but on paper, does this look like a pretty good price? :) :) :)

Any experiences?

Thanks

G'day mate

Some consideration should be given to the cheap compact cranks (not that there's anything wrong with compact cranks if that's what you want) and the Askium wheels (not the ones pictured AC's), bottom of the Mavic chain , cheap and heavy. Ride both the alloy/carbon and carbon DA Felts and compare the ride qualities. Could be throwing hundred's away unnecessarily.

BTW I think carbon is overrated

HT606 said:
Hi all,

I have always liked Felt bikes (dont ask me why...). I have spent a few months on a TREK 1000 and have really become a keen cyclist and want to upgrade. I wanted carbon for better climbing and just because... its... errr.... carbon!

Long story short, I came across this:
http://www.bicyclestore.com.au/Felt-F3C-pr-20858.html

Under $3900 gets you full carbon and Dura-ace components. I have looked into other options like TREK, Scott CR1's and Cannondales and nothing really came close (not mentioning the italians...). I know I will try each one but on paper, does this look like a pretty good price? :) :) :)

Any experiences?

Thanks

Some thing to be note as a friend who got this bike discovered.
Felt are able to reduce the cost of this bike by not including all the dura-ace parts.

The brake set is low spec no brand units that don't stop as well as real dura-ace.
The Askium rear hub is a nine speed hub with spacers to work with a 10 speed cog.
The 10 speed cassette is not the dura-ace version with it 3 titanium cogs
The chain is not dura-ace.
The gear cables are not dur-ace.

These don't affect the riding experience of this excellent bike , just something to explain the good price.

For that kind of money those wheels really don't cut the mustard. I'd prefer a good alloy frame with a really good wheelset any day. Ultegra/DA/Centaur/Chorus/Record hubs with good light spokes and aerohead rims would be a big improvement, let alone a fancier wheelset such as a nice campy one. (Forget Ksyriums...)
The best cranksets at the moment are the Hollowtech Shimano ones; even 105 beats any other - you'd be better off with 105 let alone ultegra or DA. I bet the 105 cranks would be cheaper than those Truvatives. If carbon composite is generally overrated, it's particularly overrated when it comes to cranks (although I confess that they look noice).
While the brakes are probably just as good as any others, it would grate on me that they weren't beautiful shiny Ultegra or DA..... (for that kind of money).
Just as well that you're not getting a DA cassette; nice soft titanium sprockets, whoever would have thought up such a great idea...
Just a few thoughts, all unsubstantiated opinion. I've never spent that much money on a bike, in any case.
Negotiate a deal, swap some components - otherwise it's simply not a dream bike, which it should be for that money.