Felt F5 Carbon Monocoque or Specialized Allez Compact 2012

aidang

Jun 12, 2014
Quote:
Hi
I am a club cyclist on an old bike and these 2 have popped up. Both are going for around 600 euro. Both are 2012 but the Speciallized looks to be a much cleaner bike and he said he has only 300km on it. The Felt has about 1500km on it.
The Felt has upgrade cassette and chain, both Dura Ace. He has also Fizik Handlebar tape upgrade.

http://road-bikes.findthebest.com/l/557/2012-Specialized-Allez-Comp-105-Compact

http://road-bikes.findthebest.com/l/624/2012-Felt-F5

The Speciallized is all alloy, the Felt has carbon frame with alloy forks. Both have 105.

I THINK the carbon should be a better bike and quicker but I would appreciate some "newbie" help.

Many thanks

I kind of like that the Allez has a standard BB with full 105 bearings and crank. I've heard lots of negative things about FSA cranks and had a negative experience with one myself, but yet so many companies are doing the BB30 thing these days and FSA seems to be the go-to. Tough call on that one.

Also worth noting, the Felt does not have an alloy fork, it's full carbon with a carbon steer tube.

Personally I'd take the Felt, but that's based on personal bias (I have a Z5) and second hand stories of warranty claims handling of both companies (Felt is usually great, Specialized tends to suck). Not sure if warranty is a consideration on a second hand bike though.

Reactions: aidang
Thanks for that, sorry I re read the ad! Its aluminium stem and handlebars!

No warranty I am afraid as private seller.

Anything I should look out for on the Felt? The Allez has not a single scratch on it.

Second-hand carbon is always a mystery because there's no reliable way to tell if it's damaged. The best you can do is look for obvious crash damage (paint blemishes) and hope the person selling it is trustworthy. If it's not someone you know personally and the bike doesn't look immaculate, I'd skip buying used carbon anything.

Originally Posted by AyeYo
Second-hand carbon is always a mystery because there's no reliable way to tell if it's damaged. The best you can do is look for obvious crash damage (paint blemishes) and hope the person selling it is trustworthy. If it's not someone you know personally and the bike doesn't look immaculate, I'd skip buying used carbon anything.
I get you. Well it will be 2 weeks until I see the Carbon, so will have a good look at it.

I think I am swaying towards the carbon Felt. Its a nice looking bike too (I sound like my wife!) :D

Originally Posted by aidang
I get you. Well it will be 2 weeks until I see the Carbon, so will have a good look at it.

I think I am swaying towards the carbon Felt. Its a nice looking bike too (I sound like my wife!) :D
I had an early F5C that I sold to make room for a Giant TCR Composite, and now I'm riding a Madone. As for the ride, my favorite was the Felt--traditional geometry, stiff and light enough, smooth, and very very predictable.

Reactions: aidang