Felt F55 vs Trek 5000

complience

Sep 8, 2004
Im buying a fairly expensive road bike and ive narrowed to down to two options really and Im after peoples opinons on which to choose.

Its between '05 models of Felt F55 and the Trek 5000.

I personaly feel the Felt kills the Trek on looks and i also like to ride somthing different. The felt also has slightly better components with Duraace and rims with velos.. but the Trek's frame is full carbon.

I believe theres not much difference between the weight. The felt website puts the F55 at 17.5lbs and the Trek is thought to be around 16.7lbs.

but what do you guys think?

'05 Trek 5000
Z1073_BIG.jpg

• Price: £1450
  • Frame: OCLV 120 Carbon frame
  • Fork: Bontrager Race Lite fork
  • Gears: 18 speed Shimano 105 front and Ultegra rear derailleurs
  • Gear Levers: Shimano Ultegra shifters
  • Chainset: Bontrager Race Lite chainset with 53-39 teeth chainrings
  • Brakes: Shimano 105 brakes
  • Wheels: Bontrager Race wheels
  • Tyres: Bontrager Race Lite 700x25c tyres
  • Bars: Bontrager Race handlebars
  • Stem: Bontrager Race stem
  • Saddle: Bontrager Race saddle
  • Seat Post: Bontrager Race X Lite carbon seatpost
  • Pedals: Not included

'05 Felt F55
7692feltf55.jpg

• Price:£1500
  • Frame:Superlite custombutted alloy & carbonfiber wishbone seat stays.
  • Forks:Felt carbon fiber fork.
  • Rear Derailleur:Shimano Dura Ace
  • Front Derailleur:Shimano Dura Ace
  • Shifters:Shimano Dura Ace
  • Stem:ST-22 3D-forged stem
  • Handlebars:Carbon/alloy anatomic racing handle*bar
  • Rims: Velomax Vista SL wheelset
  • Tyres:Vittoria Rubino slick folding tires
  • Saddle:Felt Racelite racing saddle
  • Seatpost:Felt carbon seatpost

If you're only after the bling factor and poseur points, go with Trek. Again, its not about the bike, its about being comfortable and fit on it. Good luck.

I kind of disagree.

I think the black of the Felt looks mean and Treks are so common, maybe i miss the point, but do people actualy want to look like poseurs?

I worry with a trek that most of what you pay for the bike would be contrubting to lances wage packet and not actual materials on the bike.

complience said:
I kind of disagree.

I think the black of the Felt looks mean and Treks are so common, maybe i miss the point, but do people actualy want to look like poseurs?

I worry with a trek that most of what you pay for the bike would be contrubting to lances wage packet and not actual materials on the bike.
I just purchased a Felt F55 a few weeks ago and love it. I was also looking at Trek but there are sooo many on the road that I didn't want to follow suit and blend-in with the crowd. I had to take that DA drivetrain as well - couldn't resist that.

The matte black and yellow is stunning, and most important the bike rides great and is very responsive. It also soars up climbs (with my help :D). I test-rode the Trek 5000 and while it was comfortable it was not stiff enough for me - just a personal thing though.

I was a little unsure about the Easton/Velomax Vista SL wheelset but after 450+ miles they are as true as the day I rolled the bike out of my LBS - and I've unfortunatley hit a few potholes in that time!.

i just bought the f55 in the states. i love it. i think the wheelset comes in different flavors depending on where and which country you buy from. mine come with american classics cr-420. have ridden treks all my life, but the f55 price was too hard to beat. really, you have to pay a few thousand more to get a bike with dura ace, so buying the f55 just for parts is worth the price. i think if you want carbon frame, you could buy just the frame and swap the parts off f55 and still get a killer deal. i've only ridden the f55 for a couple of miles (buggard cold weather and rain lately), but it feels rides well.

I would prefer the Trek because Trek obviously put more money into the frame and not just the compoments.

I would prefer the Felt because of it's AWESOME component group.

( it's even got carbon cranks:eek: )