Female Bike 'Cross USA

Lizbids

Dec 13, 2006
Greetings from Brooklyn, NY!
Ok, the question I see most often is whether or not a woman can cycle across the USA by herself. I have to admit, I do feel that there could be situations that would put me at risk. I'd never dream of biking without pepper spray, and I would make sure by like, 7pm I had secured a safe place to camp out (worst case, motels). I come across a lot of women who want the freedom of biking, especially since it's hard to find someone who can take 5 weeks off starting this July '07.
I know that I will get answers I don't want to see, the "Don't do it!" approach, which I get from family and friends. I want to know...are there any ladies out there who managed this feat without being the target of a maniac(s)?
Man, I REALLY would love to do this...I appreciate any comments, honsety a PLUS.

Lizbids said:
Greetings from Brooklyn, NY!
Ok, the question I see most often is whether or not a woman can cycle across the USA by herself. I have to admit, I do feel that there could be situations that would put me at risk. I'd never dream of biking without pepper spray, and I would make sure by like, 7pm I had secured a safe place to camp out (worst case, motels). I come across a lot of women who want the freedom of biking, especially since it's hard to find someone who can take 5 weeks off starting this July '07.
I know that I will get answers I don't want to see, the "Don't do it!" approach, which I get from family and friends. I want to know...are there any ladies out there who managed this feat without being the target of a maniac(s)?
Man, I REALLY would love to do this...I appreciate any comments, honsety a PLUS.
Not that have read this so far I guess. It sounds like an awful lot of fun if you are on your own and have the freedom to do as you please. I would definetly go for it. Once you have children you will be lucky to get an hr or two at a stretch. You never would regret it I feel. Just get a buddy and go for it. It will be a great story to be able to tell your grandchildren one day. To be able to reflect upon your life with that as an accomplishment would be wonderful!;)

Thank you for writing Deidre, but in your response you wrote to "do it," then wrote to get a buddy...as an honest opinion, do you think a woman faces more danger than a man going solo? All of my friends claim a man or woman shouldn't go alone...
:confused:

Lizbids said:
Thank you for writing Deidre, but in your response you wrote to "do it," then wrote to get a buddy...as an honest opinion, do you think a woman faces more danger than a man going solo? All of my friends claim a man or woman shouldn't go alone...
:confused:
I think it's safer for any cyclist to ride with a buddy than it is to go solo. Cyclists are more visible in numbers in traffic. Having a buddy also would give you someone to talk to. I actually never thought about it being safer for a male cyclist than a female cyclist. As long as you have on brightly colored clothing, lights for dull weather, gear to change a possible flat and the know how to change one should you need to you should be set . I would say you should do what your heart tells you to do in the end rather than listen to what others have to say on the topic. Particularly if they have never been out on a bike. Personally, when someone has told me "you can't" do something that I 've wanted to do in my life I always was driven all the more to go ahead and do it. You have to be your own person in the end and do whatever makes you happy. Having pepper spray on your person when you ride all of the time tells me you either are a little weary of ridinng already or ride through dangerous neighborhoods. Try to worry less while riding and you wil enjoy yourself far more. Be your own person and enjoy yourself, life is simply too short to worry about "what if."

Thanks, Deidre...I too agree that cycling with a buddy eliminates being left out in a field with a broken leg by yourself, etc. But most people I know have cycled alone and have been fine. I suppose the pepper spray comes in b/c I live and bike in NYC, and more than one I have had someone throw things at me and try to intimidate me, etc. Perhaps it's not a bad idea in case of dogs?

Thanks for your feedback...it was appreciated. :)

As a mid-twenty year old female, this post sounds all too familiar to me. When I told my family & friends that I wanted to bike across the country all I heard was - "Your NOT going alone", "join a tour", etc... I live in a rather rural area of NY and bike solo all the time with little fear so I never really gave safety a thought when telling them I wanted to do this. Looking at it from their point of view I understand their fears as it is a big world and there are some “bad apples” out there. While I don’t personally know anyone who has cycled solo before, from reading articles/blogs I know that people have done it with no problems. (Althought it seems like more males than females).

Personally while I never gave safety a thought before, after concerns from my family, I’m now questioning it.

I wanted to do the trip this summer East-West however have a lot of planning to do before this can happen. I’m trying to resist the “commercial tours” as I don’t want to be tied down to their schedule and most of them don’t fit my schedule.

Good topic.

sent you a private message, feel free to respond more about biking stuff!
take care,
liz