Female chafing problem

Discussion in 'General Fitness' started by Vjpratt, Oct 15, 2003.

  1. Vjpratt

    Vjpratt Guest

    Hi, I am not an avid runner. Been doing it a couple of years, but I am trying to work up to do an
    ironman triathlon in a few years. So I ran my first marathon last Sunday. I am a slow runner and it
    took me 4 1/2 hours. The problem is when I run five miles or more I chafe under my breasts. I am not
    unnaturally large or small. About a 36-38 b or c cup. I wear sports bras all the time. The kind you
    would find at Walmart or K-mart. When I run I put vaseline under my breasts and this helps most of
    the time. However during the marathon it was not enough and I became very chafe, close to bleeding.
    Does anyone have any hints to help prevent this? Would and actual running bra help? Any advice would
    be appreciated. Val

    Tags:

  2. S

    S Guest

    [email protected] says...
    > Expect to pay $30.00 or more for a decent running/sports bra.and it's uncommon to see these better
    > brands (Moving Comfort and Champion) for sale.

    Onehanesplace.com carries Champion bras off-price.

    -S

  3. Vjpratt

    Vjpratt Guest

    Thank You, I just read about Body Glide and it sounds pretty good. I will give it a try. Val
    "marisa" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > > The problem is when I run five miles or more I chafe under my breasts. I am
    > not
    > > unnaturally large or small. About a 36-38 b or c cup. I wear sports bras
    > all
    > > the time. The kind you would find at Walmart or K-mart. When I run I
    put
    > > vaseline under my breasts and this helps most of the time. However
    during
    > > the marathon it was not enough and I became very chafe, close to
    bleeding.
    > > Does anyone have any hints to help prevent this? Would and actual
    running
    > > bra help? Any advice would be appreciated.
    >
    > Val,
    >
    > I recommend Body Glide (http://www.sternoff.com/). During my first
    marathon
    > training, I had one of my sportsbras rub my skin raw during a 20 mile run. It was pretty nasty,
    > especially afterwards when it scabbed over. I
    started
    > using Body Glide and have not had any chafing problems since.
    >
    > Since I'm not sure what kind of sports bras Walmart and K-Mart sell, I
    don't
    > know if yours are good or bad. I've bought most of mine at real running stores, as they usually
    > have more supportive models. Most of the
    sportsbras
    > I've seen at non-running stores are too flimsy for anyone over an A cup to run in.
    >
    > marisa

  4. Vjpratt

    Vjpratt Guest

    Thanks, I didn't know that vaseline was so inferior. I wil try the body glide. Also I will go to my
    running store and see what kind of bras they have. I guess it is time to shell out a little more
    money to save me pain in the long run. Val "Jean S. Barto" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > First of all congrats on the marathon--my PR is 5:24, at Chicago 2 years ago, and now that I'm
    > injured and 30 lbs heavier now, I have lots of work and weight loss to accomplish before I attempt
    > another marathon.
    >
    > As far as your breast chafing problem is concerned, the solution is lots
    and
    > lots of Body Glide, a product that's better than vaseline, and won't dissolve during prolonged
    > exercise. You should also invest in some more supportive sports bras--they are sold at your local
    > running store, or
    online
    > stores like RoadRunner Sports and Title 9 Sports. Most likely the ones you've bought at the
    > discount stores are simply for show, not for support. Expect to pay $30.00 or more for a decent
    > running/sports bra.and it's uncommon to see these better brands (Moving Comfort and Champion) for
    sale.
    > Buy the ones that are rated for C and D/DD cups--the other ones for A and
    > cups, although they might fit, will *not* support you properly and you'll pay later for wearing a
    > flimsy sports bra with excessive chafing and pain from bouncing.
    >
    > Although your breast size is *normal* as far as the regular population is concerned, you are quite
    > well-endowed for a runner. I am a size 34DD/36D, and I am by far the most well-endowed woman in my
    > running club's interval workout, and at most races. Some of my large size now is resulting from
    my
    > weight gain, so as I lose some weight I'll see some decrease in my
    breasts,
    > but I'll never be flat-chested by any means. You'll probably also find
    the
    > same thing as you lose weight and gain fitnesss and muscle.
    >
    > Hope this helps--
    >
    > Jean in VA
    >
    > "vjpratt" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > > Hi, I am not an avid runner. Been doing it a couple of years, but I am
    trying
    > > work up to do an ironman triathlon in a few years. So I ran my first marathon last Sunday. I am
    > > a slow runner and it took me 4 1/2 hours. The problem is when I run five miles or more I chafe
    > > under my breasts. I am
    > not
    > > unnaturally large or small. About a 36-38 b or c cup. I wear sports bras
    > all
    > > the time. The kind you would find at Walmart or K-mart. When I run I
    put
    > > vaseline under my breasts and this helps most of the time. However
    during
    > > the marathon it was not enough and I became very chafe, close to
    bleeding.
    > > Does anyone have any hints to help prevent this? Would and actual
    running
    > > bra help? Any advice would be appreciated. Val

  5. Vjpratt

    Vjpratt Guest

    Thanks, but I am not sure I would like to get rid of the bra. The tank tops just don't seem
    supportive enough to me. I will try some on and see how they feel though. Val "Breasts R best"
    > The logical answer is simple, wear no bra, and a tight cotton tank top tee shirt. If you do take
    > my advice, please let me know where and when you run.
    >
    > On Wed, 15 Oct 2003 10:16:12 -0500, "marisa" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > >> The problem is when I run five miles or more I chafe under my breasts. I am
    > >not
    > >> unnaturally large or small. About a 36-38 b or c cup. I wear sports
    bras
    > >all
    > >> the time. The kind you would find at Walmart or K-mart. When I run I
    put
    > >> vaseline under my breasts and this helps most of the time. However
    during
    > >> the marathon it was not enough and I became very chafe, close to
    bleeding.
    > >> Does anyone have any hints to help prevent this? Would and actual
    running
    > >> bra help? Any advice would be appreciated.
    > >
    > >Val,
    > >
    > >I recommend Body Glide (http://www.sternoff.com/). During my first
    marathon
    > >training, I had one of my sportsbras rub my skin raw during a 20 mile
    run.
    > >It was pretty nasty, especially afterwards when it scabbed over. I
    started
    > >using Body Glide and have not had any chafing problems since.
    > >
    > >Since I'm not sure what kind of sports bras Walmart and K-Mart sell, I
    don't
    > >know if yours are good or bad. I've bought most of mine at real running stores, as they usually
    > >have more supportive models. Most of the
    sportsbras
    > >I've seen at non-running stores are too flimsy for anyone over an A cup
    > >run in.
    > >
    > >marisa

  6. Vjpratt

    Vjpratt Guest

    Thank you, I will check it out. Val "S" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > [email protected] says...
    > > Expect to pay $30.00 or more for a decent running/sports bra.and it's uncommon to see these
    > > better brands (Moving Comfort and Champion) for
    sale.

    > Onehanesplace.com carries Champion bras off-price.
    >
    > -S

  7. Marisa

    Marisa Guest

    > The problem is when I run five miles or more I chafe under my breasts. I am
    not
    > unnaturally large or small. About a 36-38 b or c cup. I wear sports bras
    all
    > the time. The kind you would find at Walmart or K-mart. When I run I put vaseline under my breasts
    > and this helps most of the time. However during the marathon it was not enough and I became very
    > chafe, close to bleeding. Does anyone have any hints to help prevent this? Would and actual
    > running bra help? Any advice would be appreciated.

    Val,

    I recommend Body Glide (http://www.sternoff.com/). During my first marathon training, I had one of
    my sportsbras rub my skin raw during a 20 mile run. It was pretty nasty, especially afterwards when
    it scabbed over. I started using Body Glide and have not had any chafing problems since.

    Since I'm not sure what kind of sports bras Walmart and K-Mart sell, I don't know if yours are good
    or bad. I've bought most of mine at real running stores, as they usually have more supportive
    models. Most of the sportsbras I've seen at non-running stores are too flimsy for anyone over an A
    cup to run in.

    marisa

  8. First of all congrats on the marathon--my PR is 5:24, at Chicago 2 years ago, and now that I'm
    injured and 30 lbs heavier now, I have lots of work and weight loss to accomplish before I attempt
    another marathon.

    As far as your breast chafing problem is concerned, the solution is lots and lots of Body Glide, a
    product that's better than vaseline, and won't dissolve during prolonged exercise. You should also
    invest in some more supportive sports bras--they are sold at your local running store, or online
    stores like RoadRunner Sports and Title 9 Sports. Most likely the ones you've bought at the discount
    stores are simply for show, not for support. Expect to pay $30.00 or more for a decent
    running/sports bra.and it's uncommon to see these better brands (Moving Comfort and Champion) for
    sale. Buy the ones that are rated for C and D/DD cups--the other ones for A and B cups, although
    they might fit, will *not* support you properly and you'll pay later for wearing a flimsy sports bra
    with excessive chafing and pain from bouncing.

    Although your breast size is *normal* as far as the regular population is concerned, you are quite
    well-endowed for a runner. I am a size 34DD/36D, and I am by far the most well-endowed woman in my
    running club's interval workout, and at most races. Some of my large size now is resulting from my
    weight gain, so as I lose some weight I'll see some decrease in my breasts, but I'll never be
    flat-chested by any means. You'll probably also find the same thing as you lose weight and gain
    fitnesss and muscle.

    Hope this helps--

    Jean in VA

    "vjpratt" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Hi, I am not an avid runner. Been doing it a couple of years, but I am trying
    > work up to do an ironman triathlon in a few years. So I ran my first marathon last Sunday. I am a
    > slow runner and it took me 4 1/2 hours. The problem is when I run five miles or more I chafe under
    > my breasts. I am
    not
    > unnaturally large or small. About a 36-38 b or c cup. I wear sports bras
    all
    > the time. The kind you would find at Walmart or K-mart. When I run I put vaseline under my breasts
    > and this helps most of the time. However during the marathon it was not enough and I became very
    > chafe, close to bleeding. Does anyone have any hints to help prevent this? Would and actual
    > running bra help? Any advice would be appreciated. Val

  9. The logical answer is simple, wear no bra, and a tight cotton tank top tee shirt. If you do take my
    advice, please let me know where and when you run.

    On Wed, 15 Oct 2003 10:16:12 -0500, "marisa" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >> The problem is when I run five miles or more I chafe under my breasts. I am
    >not
    >> unnaturally large or small. About a 36-38 b or c cup. I wear sports bras
    >all
    >> the time. The kind you would find at Walmart or K-mart. When I run I put vaseline under my
    >> breasts and this helps most of the time. However during the marathon it was not enough and I
    >> became very chafe, close to bleeding. Does anyone have any hints to help prevent this? Would and
    >> actual running bra help? Any advice would be appreciated.
    >
    >Val,
    >
    >I recommend Body Glide (http://www.sternoff.com/). During my first marathon training, I had one of
    >my sportsbras rub my skin raw during a 20 mile run. It was pretty nasty, especially afterwards when
    >it scabbed over. I started using Body Glide and have not had any chafing problems since.
    >
    >Since I'm not sure what kind of sports bras Walmart and K-Mart sell, I don't know if yours are good
    >or bad. I've bought most of mine at real running stores, as they usually have more supportive
    >models. Most of the sportsbras I've seen at non-running stores are too flimsy for anyone over an A
    >cup to run in.
    >
    >marisa

  10. Gp

    Gp Guest

    On Wed, 15 Oct 2003 22:56:49 -0400, "vjpratt" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Thanks, I didn't know that vaseline was so inferior. I wil try the body glide.

    I suggest you get someone to apply it for you...someone like me?

  11. Gp

    Gp Guest

    So, where do you run? Anyplace along your route that's suitable for setting up a video camera? <G>

    On Wed, 15 Oct 2003 22:54:37 -0400, "vjpratt" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Thanks, but I am not sure I would like to get rid of the bra. The tank tops just don't seem
    >supportive enough to me. I will try some on and see how they feel though. Val "Breasts R best"
    ><[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    >> The logical answer is simple, wear no bra, and a tight cotton tank top tee shirt. If you do take
    >> my advice, please let me know where and when you run.

    >> >not
    >bras
    >> >all
    >put
    >during
    >bleeding.
    >running
    >> >
    >> >Val,
    >> >
    >> >I recommend Body Glide (http://www.sternoff.com/). During my first
    >marathon
    >> >training, I had one of my sportsbras rub my skin raw during a 20 mile
    >run.
    >> >It was pretty nasty, especially afterwards when it scabbed over. I
    >started
    >> >using Body Glide and have not had any chafing problems since.
    >> >
    >> >Since I'm not sure what kind of sports bras Walmart and K-Mart sell, I
    >don't
    >> >know if yours are good or bad. I've bought most of mine at real running stores, as they usually
    >> >have more supportive models. Most of the
    >sportsbras
    >> >I've seen at non-running stores are too flimsy for anyone over an A cup
    >> >run in.
    >> >
    >> >marisa

  12. One word. Mastectomy.

  13. Mike R.

    Mike R. Guest

    > I guess it is time to shell out a little more money to save me pain IN THE LONG RUN.

    Ba-dum-bum (rimshot)

    Good One!

    Mike

  14. In article <[email protected]>, vjpratt <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Hi, I am not an avid runner. Been doing it a couple of years, but I am trying to work up to do an
    > ironman triathlon in a few years. So I ran my first marathon last Sunday. I am a slow runner and
    > it took me 4 1/2 hours. The problem is when I run five miles or more I chafe under my breasts. I
    > am not unnaturally large or small. About a 36-38 b or c cup. I wear sports bras all the time. The
    > kind you would find at Walmart or K-mart. When I run I put vaseline under my breasts and this
    > helps most of the time. However during the marathon it was not enough and I became very chafe,
    > close to bleeding. Does anyone have any hints to help prevent this? Would and actual running bra
    > help? Any advice would be appreciated. Val

    Beyond Vaseline and Body Glide.

    Val,

    I'd look at your arm swing and the torque of your upper body. If chafing is taking place, then as
    your arm is swinging it must be swinging back and pulling the sports bra in that direction ever so
    little. With 2000+ armswings a mile that adds up over 26.2 miles.

    I'd do my runs practicing keeping the shoulders relaxed and allowing the arms at the shoulder to
    swing forward a quarter to a half inch more.

    Check out: http://www.mindfulness.com/mrb3.asp which talks about the arms really don't swing
    backwards. It just looks like that. In reality the arm stays forward and the body passes that
    forward arm.

    In health and on the run, Ozzie Gontang Maintainer - rec.running FAQ Director, San Diego Marathon
    Clinic, est. 1975

    Mindful Running: http://www.mindfulness.com/mr.asp http://www.faqs.org/faqs/running-faq/

  15. Vjpratt

    Vjpratt Guest

    Thanks, I hadn't thought about my arm swing before. But I will pay attention to it and see what
    happens. Val "Ozzie Gontang" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:161020031037298309%[email protected]...
    > In article <[email protected]>, vjpratt <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > > Hi, I am not an avid runner. Been doing it a couple of years, but I am
    trying to
    > > work up to do an ironman triathlon in a few years. So I ran my first marathon last Sunday. I am
    > > a slow runner and it took me 4 1/2 hours. The problem is when I run five miles or more I chafe
    > > under my breasts. I am
    not
    > > unnaturally large or small. About a 36-38 b or c cup. I wear sports bras
    all
    > > the time. The kind you would find at Walmart or K-mart. When I run I
    put
    > > vaseline under my breasts and this helps most of the time. However
    during
    > > the marathon it was not enough and I became very chafe, close to
    bleeding.
    > > Does anyone have any hints to help prevent this? Would and actual
    running
    > > bra help? Any advice would be appreciated. Val
    >

    > Beyond Vaseline and Body Glide.
    >
    > Val,
    >
    > I'd look at your arm swing and the torque of your upper body. If chafing is taking place, then as
    > your arm is swinging it must be swinging back and pulling the sports bra in that direction ever so
    > little. With 2000+ armswings a mile that adds up over 26.2 miles.
    >
    > I'd do my runs practicing keeping the shoulders relaxed and allowing the arms at the shoulder to
    > swing forward a quarter to a half inch more.
    >
    > Check out: http://www.mindfulness.com/mrb3.asp which talks about the arms really don't swing
    > backwards. It just looks like that. In reality the arm stays forward and the body passes that
    > forward arm.
    >
    > In health and on the run, Ozzie Gontang Maintainer - rec.running FAQ Director, San Diego Marathon
    > Clinic, est. 1975
    >
    > Mindful Running: http://www.mindfulness.com/mr.asp http://www.faqs.org/faqs/running-faq/

  16. Vjpratt

    Vjpratt Guest

    Completely unintentional, but I wish I had done it on purpose, it is quite a good pun. Val "Mike R."
    > > I guess it is time to shell out a little more money to save me pain IN THE LONG RUN.
    >
    > Ba-dum-bum (rimshot)
    >
    > Good One!
    >
    > Mike

  17. Holdon

    Holdon Guest

    "vjpratt" <[email protected]> wrote in news:[email protected]:

    > Thanks, but I am not sure I would like to get rid of the bra. The tank tops just don't seem
    > supportive enough to me. I will try some on and see how they feel though. Val "Breasts R best"
    >> The logical answer is simple, wear no bra, and a tight cotton tank top tee shirt. If you do take
    >> my advice, please let me know where and when you run.

    >> >not
    > bras
    >> >all
    > put
    > during
    > bleeding.
    > running
    >> >
    >> >Val,
    >> >
    >> >I recommend Body Glide (http://www.sternoff.com/). During my first
    > marathon
    >> >training, I had one of my sportsbras rub my skin raw during a 20 mile
    > run.
    >> >It was pretty nasty, especially afterwards when it scabbed over. I
    > started
    >> >using Body Glide and have not had any chafing problems since.
    >> >
    >> >Since I'm not sure what kind of sports bras Walmart and K-Mart sell, I
    > don't
    >> >know if yours are good or bad. I've bought most of mine at real running stores, as they usually
    >> >have more supportive models. Most of the
    > sportsbras
    >> >I've seen at non-running stores are too flimsy for anyone over an A cup
    >> >run in.
    >> >
    >> >marisa

    I'm a male. Bloody nipples were common after only 5 or 6 miles(southern U.S.....hot) Buy and don't
    forget the BODY GLIDE!!! It really does work. Band-Aids on nipples is iffy. My daughters were
    mortified at my bloody shirt(emotional scarring as well as pain) Running stores also sell nip
    guards, but if you sweat, good luck.

  18. Lasse

    Lasse Guest

    On Fri, 17 Oct 2003 05:48:03 GMT, holdon <[email protected]> wrote:

    > My daughters were mortified at my bloody shirt(emotional scarring as well as pain)

    Why on earth would you show them your bloody shit?

  19. Vjpratt

    Vjpratt Guest

    I've heard about that problem with men. I guess that's where we females are lucky wearing sports
    bras. One of my friends eliminates that prblem in the summer by eliminating the shirt. Val

    > I'm a male. Bloody nipples were common after only 5 or 6 miles(southern U.S.....hot) Buy and don't
    > forget the BODY GLIDE!!! It really does work. Band-Aids on nipples is iffy. My daughters were
    > mortified at my bloody shirt(emotional scarring as well as pain) Running stores also sell nip
    > guards, but if you sweat, good luck.

  20. Tbr

    Tbr Guest

    On Fri, 17 Oct 2003 09:17:01 -0400, "vjpratt" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >I've heard about that problem with men. I guess that's where we females are lucky wearing sports
    >bras. One of my friends eliminates that prblem in the summer by eliminating the shirt. Val

    Where do you live? What streets and trails do you run on? What time of day? How big are her boobs?