Female Cyclist Assaulted

On 21 May, 11:14, Marc Brett <[email protected]> wrote:
> On 21 May 2007 02:57:41 -0700, "[email protected]"
>
> <[email protected]> wrote:
> >http://tinyurl.com/24ofto

> In Glasgow, no less! Skelped by a belt, probably...
>
> Here's the real URL:http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/glasgow_and_west/6676223.stm

Happened to me only a few weeks ago too! As I've said, I am 5ft 1 and
look like a young girl when in my kit. Sick idiot came and kicked me
for not using the poor excuse for a cycle track.

in message <[email protected]>,
[email protected] ('[email protected]') wrote:

> On 21 May, 11:14, Marc Brett <[email protected]> wrote:
>> On 21 May 2007 02:57:41 -0700, "[email protected]"
>>
>> <[email protected]> wrote:
>> >http://tinyurl.com/24ofto

>> In Glasgow, no less! Skelped by a belt, probably...
>>
>> Here's the real
>> URL:http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/glasgow_and_west/6676223.stm

> Happened to me only a few weeks ago too! As I've said, I am 5ft 1 and
> look like a young girl when in my kit. Sick idiot came and kicked me
> for not using the poor excuse for a cycle track.

Is there any followup to that story? Have the police caught anyone?

;; IE 3 is dead, but Netscape 4 still shambles about the earth,
;; wreaking a horrific vengeance upon the living
;; anonymous

> Is there any followup to that story? Have the police caught anyone?
>
> --

Well, I had to look for images that looked like the car and they have
circulated those around the local police. Got the standard letter with
the crime number etc.. All a case of waiting now. No further kicks
since then.

<[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> Well, I had to look for images that looked like the car and they have
> circulated those around the local police. Got the standard letter with
> the crime number etc.. All a case of waiting now. No further kicks
> since then.

You got *kicked* by someone driving a car? I have heard of someone getting
*punched* by the passenger of a vehicle while cycling but not kicked!

Adrian Boliston wrote:
> <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>
>> Well, I had to look for images that looked like the car and they have
>> circulated those around the local police. Got the standard letter with
>> the crime number etc.. All a case of waiting now. No further kicks
>> since then.

> You got *kicked* by someone driving a car? I have heard of someone getting
> *punched* by the passenger of a vehicle while cycling but not kicked!

Well, no, the driver got out and kicked her. The scumbag.

Or as the media would report it, a cyclist was in a kicking with a car.

in message <[email protected]>,
[email protected] ('[email protected]') wrote:

>> Is there any followup to that story? Have the police caught anyone?

> Well, I had to look for images that looked like the car and they have
> circulated those around the local police. Got the standard letter with
> the crime number etc.. All a case of waiting now. No further kicks
> since then.

Well, best wishes. I hope it has not affected your self confidence when
cycling by yourself. It was a *shocking* thing to happen.

;; Want to know what SCO stands for?
;; http://ars.userfriendly.org/cartoons/?id=20030605

"Ambrose Nankivell" <firstname+'n'@gmail.com> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> Well, no, the driver got out and kicked her. The scumbag.
>
> Or as the media would report it, a cyclist was in a kicking with a car.

It would take a pretty determined motorist to go to the trouble of parking
up, getting out and kicking a cyclist! If the road was narrow he would
block other fellow motorists and incur *their* wrath, and if the road was
wide he would have to be quick on his feet to kick a passing cyclist.

On 21 May, 19:51, [email protected] wrote:

> They were rare a few years ago, but they have certainly intensified
> over the last few months in terms of severity. I ain't been out on the
> bike for a few weeks now. It really is getting worse out there for us
> cyclists.

I would dispute that they have got worse. I would say the risk of
random unprovoked attacks like this is low. Other than peripheral
housing schemes between 9pm and midnight at weekends the risk is close
to zero. There are plenty places I wouldn't care to walk through at
certain times of night but any risk is no worse for cyclists than
pedestrians. Cyclist may be at less risk as they travel past any
problem areas quickly.. This story made the news because it was
unusual.

Iain

On Mon, 21 May 2007 18:31:50 GMT someone who may be Ambrose
Nankivell <firstname+'n'@gmail.com> wrote this:-

>Well, no, the driver got out and kicked her. The scumbag.
>
>Or as the media would report it, a cyclist was in a kicking with a car.

No. The evil, lycra clad, unhelmeted, non road tax paying cyclist
crashed into the foot of the poor, put upon, hard done by, taxed to
the hilt, salt of the earth, fine upstanding motorist.

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh

On May 21, 4:00 pm, "Adrian Boliston" <[email protected]> wrote:
> "Ambrose Nankivell" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>
> news:[email protected]...
>
> > Well, no, the driver got out and kicked her. The scumbag.

> > Or as the media would report it, a cyclist was in a kicking with a car.

> It would take a pretty determined motorist to go to the trouble of parking
> up, getting out and kicking a cyclist! If the road was narrow he would
> block other fellow motorists and incur *their* wrath, and if the road was
> wide he would have to be quick on his feet to kick a passing cyclist.

You obviously missed this little video from Toronto
http://www.citynews.ca/news/news_10783.aspx

> It would take a pretty determined motorist to go to the trouble of parking
> up, getting out and kicking a cyclist!

What can I say? The guy even turned off of the main road to park then
wandered into the road to meet me face to face. Can only assume this
was a man with other issues in his life! Maybe his abusive mother was
a five foot female cyclist as well.

On 22 May 2007 00:52:58 -0700
[email protected] wrote:

> a five foot female cyclist as well.

Some wonderful Hindu goddess? How many pedals do you have,
and does that make you hugely faster than us mere mortals?

--
not me guv

On Mon, 21 May, Adrian Boliston <[email protected]> wrote:

> It would take a pretty determined motorist to go to the trouble of
> parking up, getting out and kicking a cyclist! If the road was
> narrow he would block other fellow motorists and incur *their*
> wrath, and if the road was wide he would have to be quick on his
> feet to kick a passing cyclist.

I've had a motorist who went to the bother of pulling into a
cul-de-sac, turning, then waiting for me to pass in order to
deliberately drive straight at me, tyres smoking.

Some motorists are psychopaths.

regards, Ian SMith
--
|\ /| no .sig
|o o|

Adrian Boliston <[email protected]> wrote:
> "Ambrose Nankivell" <firstname+'n'@gmail.com> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...

>> Well, no, the driver got out and kicked her. The scumbag.
>>
>> Or as the media would report it, a cyclist was in a kicking with a car.

> It would take a pretty determined motorist to go to the trouble of parking
> up, getting out and kicking a cyclist!

No more determined than the motorists you often see getting out of
their cars to "have a word" with another car driver. They don't have
to go to the trouble of "parking up". I see them doing it while
waiting at red traffic lights.

--
Chris Malcolm [email protected] DoD #205
[http://www.dai.ed.ac.uk/homes/cam/]

On 22 May, 09:38, Nick Kew <[email protected]> wrote:
> On 22 May 2007 00:52:58 -0700
>
> [email protected] wrote:
> > a five foot female cyclist as well.

> Some wonderful Hindu goddess? How many pedals do you have,
> and does that make you hugely faster than us mere mortals?

I am of course faster than most mere mortals....I just choose to only
turn out 28min 10mile TTs time and time again!

in message <[email protected]>,
[email protected] ('[email protected]') wrote:

> On 22 May, 09:38, Nick Kew <[email protected]> wrote:
>> On 22 May 2007 00:52:58 -0700
>>
>> [email protected] wrote:
>> > a five foot female cyclist as well.

>> Some wonderful Hindu goddess? How many pedals do you have,
>> and does that make you hugely faster than us mere mortals?
>>

> I am of course faster than most mere mortals....I just choose to only
> turn out 28min 10mile TTs time and time again!

If I could do that, I'd be a happier man.

'Victories are not solutions.'
;; John Hume, Northern Irish politician, on Radio Scotland 1/2/95
;; Nobel Peace Prize laureate 1998; few have deserved it so much