Female cyclists with their male partners

origanic said:
By "moterway" it appears that you think I was riding my bike on some sort of highway where drivers go 100km per hour. In that "story" I was actually riding on a simple city road that had an enterence to a highway build right off of it. I just wanted to clear up any misconfusion :) I don't ride my bike on "moterways" or "highways"

Sandie
Oh, sorry... I actually did think you had found yourself on the motorway...
I do know people who do it. Guess they just tie their headscarfs and go "Bonzai!!!" and happen what may...
Many motorists go Jeckyll and Hyde when they see cyclists.
The other day, I was going round a roundabout. Some old lady was stopped at the dotted line. For some reason, when I got to her level, she just hit the accelerator (!!!)
I don't know how I'm still in one piece, but let me tell you that I did wave at the old boot with the appropriate 2 fingers accompanied with the expected vocalisation that no place in this list...

redrocket said:
Two Saturdays ago I must have encountered a traing ride of some sort. What was unusual was I encountered 20 pairs of cyclist each about 100 yards apart. Each pair was a male and female cyclist. When I waved I did not once get a wave from the male rider but the female rider would smile wave back and say hello or good morning. Mind you this was fine by me. Any one else ecounter this?
I'm a girl but I can't say what was going on with those riders you saw. I notice that when I'm out riding only older guys and the occasional girl will say hi or give a whassup nod. Most young to middle aged guys tend to be off in their own worlds. There seem to be tons of cyclists in my area but not a real strong sense of cycling unity.

Yeah I know what you mean. I usually wave to everyone. But I have noticed that if I'm on my road bike I'll get responses from all, but if I'm on my mountain bike the roadies will often ignore me (and yes, I have found it be be mostly guys). I hate that. Anyone can ride a road bike. It doesn't make us special.

janiejones said:
Yeah I know what you mean. I usually wave to everyone. But I have noticed that if I'm on my road bike I'll get responses from all, but if I'm on my mountain bike the roadies will often ignore me (and yes, I have found it be be mostly guys). I hate that. Anyone can ride a road bike. It doesn't make us special.
To a lot of people, sadly,cycling is also a way to show off...
Have you noticed how many cyclists wear lycra when the tour is on? Where are they the rest of the year?
There's also a lot of snobery attached to what is perceived as very different types of cycling. At least in Britain, different types of bicycles, even, are attached to different social and youth groups...

janiejones said:
Hmm. I've noticed this too. Mountain bikers will wave to anyone, but roadies won't wave to mountain bikers. (this doesn't seem to apply to roadies who alos ride mountain bikes)

I can only assume that this is because roadies consider their 'sport' the only real way to cycle, and despise the 'johnny-come-lately' sport of mountain biking, despite the fact that the technology from MTBs has seeped into and transformed the road bike.

As an MTBer this has affected me quite badly, and I now suffer from a major inferiority complex. Whenever I see a roadie approaching I dismount and hide in a ditch, re-emerging only when they've gone past.

Why, oh why, is the world so mental? ;)

For ages, I just rode a three speed or one of several converted three speeds. or various bikes made ups of bits and bobs. There's a bit of a culture centred around that in Leicester... The aim was precisely to encourage cycling by demonstrating that it's not the bike that makes the cyclist and that you don't necessarily need a "good" bike to cover sometimes impressive distances quite comfortably.
Also, not only have so far failed in my career as an inventor/mad scientist/inventor, but also absolutely EVERYBODY (though, acknowledgedly may be more so roadies) took the **** and certainly no-one would have waved at me...
wheelist said:
Hmm. I've noticed this too. Mountain bikers will wave to anyone, but roadies won't wave to mountain bikers. (this doesn't seem to apply to roadies who alos ride mountain bikes)

I can only assume that this is because roadies consider their 'sport' the only real way to cycle, and despise the 'johnny-come-lately' sport of mountain biking, despite the fact that the technology from MTBs has seeped into and transformed the road bike.

As an MTBer this has affected me quite badly, and I now suffer from a major inferiority complex. Whenever I see a roadie approaching I dismount and hide in a ditch, re-emerging only when they've gone past.

Why, oh why, is the world so mental? ;)