female geometry bikes

Sjef Schellings

Guest
Hello,

I am new to this group and maybe my subject is already out of date. Do female geometry bikes, like
the ones from Trek, Cannondale a.s.o make sense? Or is a short toptube, a short and steep stem, a
narrow handlebar and a ladies saddle enough to make the necessary difference? As we all know by now,
the difference in sizes of legs, torsos and arms between men and women are at the most mms, but what
really matters is the angle of the pelvis on the saddle, more backwards. Trek is still using the
shorter torso-argument, do they not read sport-medical magazines? Anyway, has anybody got advise
from her own experience?

thanks for any input,

Sjef

sjef schellings must be edykated coz e writed:

> Hello,
>
> I am new to this group and maybe my subject is already out of date. Do female geometry bikes, like
> the ones from Trek, Cannondale a.s.o make sense? Or is a short toptube, a short and steep stem, a
> narrow handlebar and a ladies saddle enough to make the necessary difference? As we all know by
> now, the difference in sizes of legs, torsos and arms between men and women are at the most mms,
> but what really matters is the angle of the pelvis on the saddle, more backwards. Trek is still
> using the shorter torso-argument, do they not read sport-medical magazines? Anyway, has anybody
> got advise from her own experience?
>
> thanks for any input,
>
> Sjef

I thought the main difference was to allow the wearing of dresses with whale bone formers and
petticoats whilst riding? I'll get me coat....

--
Ian

http://www.catrike.co.uk

In article <BB9BCF4B.12077%[email protected]>, Ian wrote:

> I thought the main difference was to allow the wearing of dresses with whale bone formers and
> petticoats whilst riding? I'll get me coat....

Saddle angle can be adjusted at the saddle mount point. Other geometry differences I've noticed are
just bottom bracket in relation to saddle. More forwards is more racer/tourer style, which I prefer,
so move my saddle back on its rails on the hybrid, but would prefer further back. Lindsay likes
quite steep, legs more beneath saddle. I owned a tourer before the hybrid though.

Also the handlebar position. Mine are quite low and forward, especially with the extensions.
Lindsay's are very high and closer to the saddle due to a very different stem being used. Lindsay's
is an adjustable stem and is set very high.

Even then, stem height can be changed, leaving just choice of frame size (including top tube
length), and angle of riser whether its the more upright MTB style or the more sloping racer/tourer
style. A freind has an MTB which features a steeper riser angle "to be more like a racer", which is
quite nice.

I thought otherwise it was a case of no top bar to allow skirts, but many women now opting for a
smaller mountain frame and using a longer seat post and bar riser to compensate.

- Richard (going to the dark side, where all is different anyway)

--
_/_/_/ _/_/_/ _/_/_/ Richard dot Corfield at ntlworld dot com _/ _/ _/ _/ _/_/ _/ _/ Time is a
one way street, _/ _/ _/_/ _/_/_/ Except in the Twighlight Zone.

Well, I'm female last time I checked ;-)

My bike is a "man's" Bianchi San Remo which I find very comfortable to cycle. Only change made in
respect of my gender is that I changed the saddle to a woman's Terry's Liberator TiLite.

Cheers, helen s

~~~~~~~~~~
h*$el***$$n*$d$ot$**s**i$$m*$m$**on**$s$@*$$a**$*ol*$*.*$$c$om*$ by getting rid of the
overdependence on money and fame
~~~~~~~~~~

On Sun, 28 Sep 2003 00:13:19 +0200, sjef schellings <[email protected]> wrote:

>Hello,
>
>I am new to this group and maybe my subject is already out of date. Do female geometry bikes, like
>the ones from Trek, Cannondale a.s.o make sense? Or is a short toptube, a short and steep stem, a
>narrow handlebar and a ladies saddle enough to make the necessary difference? As we all know by
>now, the difference in sizes of legs, torsos and arms between men and women are at the most mms,
>but what really matters is the angle of the pelvis on the saddle, more backwards. Trek is still
>using the shorter torso-argument, do they not read sport-medical magazines? Anyway, has anybody got
>advise from her own experience?
>
>thanks for any input,

Myra van Ingwengen (sp?) a one time regular on this group has an article about this subject on her
website. See <http://www.myra-simon.com/bike/womens-fit.html>

and

<http://www.myra-simon.com/bike/what_women.html>

Tim
--
In space no one can eat ice cream

Ok I'm a bloke but I tried and I bought a both Marin Mtn Bike and a Scott road bike this year in
"female" configuration which seems to suit me fine - these frames had previously been marketed as
a "compact"

At 5ft 9 and normal male shape for that height i find the shorter top tobe great and much mre
comfortable than the "normal" equivalent frame sizes, and the frame is stiffer too.

Clive

===================================

sjef schellings <[email protected]> of @Home Benelux wrote:
>I am new to this group and maybe my subject is already out of date. Do female geometry bikes, like
>the ones from Trek, Cannondale a.s.o make sense? Or is a short toptube, a short and steep stem, a
>narrow handlebar and a ladies saddle enough to make the necessary difference? As we all know by
>now, the difference in sizes of legs, torsos and arms between men and women are at the most mms,
>but what really matters is the angle of the pelvis on the saddle, more backwards. Trek is still
>using the shorter torso-argument, do they not read sport-medical magazines? Anyway, has anybody got
>advise from her own experience?

All depends on how long your legs are. At the grand height of 150cm (5 feet and a smidge) with
proportionately short legs and long torso, I cannot straddle the cross bar of an adult bike with a
top tube. My choices are either female geometry or a custom made bike with a top tube and I've got
one of each. The female geometry one isn't as nice to ride, but it was a hell of a lot cheaper so
it's an unfair comparison. The things that I find add to comfort on the bike with the top tube are
short cranks, really narrow handlebars and the really really short top tube. The majority of female
cyclists prefer ladies saddles but a minority are more comfortable with male saddles; in both cases
I think that the saddle choice is the same on either sort of bike.
--
The avoidance of taxes is the only intellectual pursuit that still carries any reward. John Maynard
Keynes Steph Peters delete invalid from [email protected] Tatting, lace &

Steph Peters wrote:
> sjef schellings <[email protected]> of @Home Benelux wrote:
>
>>I am new to this group and maybe my subject is already out of date. Do female geometry bikes, like
>>the ones from Trek, Cannondale a.s.o make sense? Or is a short toptube, a short and steep stem, a
>>narrow handlebar and a ladies saddle enough to make the necessary difference? As we all know by
>>now, the difference in sizes of legs, torsos and arms between men and women are at the most mms,
>>but what really matters is the angle of the pelvis on the saddle, more backwards. Trek is still
>>using the shorter torso-argument, do they not read sport-medical magazines? Anyway, has anybody
>>got advise from her own experience?

I don't have the original post showing on my group, so I'm replying via another reply (sorry). I'm
5'4" and a shorter top tube would have been very nice on my bike. I can stand over mine (dawes
audax, smallest frame size) fine, but have spent a lot of time and money trying to bring the reach
of the bars back closer to me - obviously the arms/torso are shorter than the equivalent in a bloke.
Narrow bars made a difference too - again shortened the overall reach slightly. I put a womens
saddle on (but skinny, not one of those padded armchairs), and between all the changes I now really
like the bike, but I'm aware it still doesn't fit 100% - the top tube is still too long, and always
will be, compared to the rest of the geometry, which is correct for me.

So I'd say the shorter torso/arms compared to blokes IS correct - reaching too far for the bars WILL
tilt the pelvis by a huge amount,

the pelvis is a different size/shape anyway.

Re your comment about pelvis angle on the saddle, and backwards - I'm curious to know more about
this, I can't quite work out what you're talking about here.

Velvet

PS. I'd like to go to the dark side, please. I've tried one out, and decided I very much like
three wheels instead of two, and a comfortable seat. Donations to Velvet's DarkSide Fund
appreciated ;-)

Hi, and thank you all for your input, apparently the VELVET- lady does want any mail in her mail
box, therefore here is my answer to her question and to the benefit of the group:

Hi, Regarding your question mark on my referring to recent empiric results on differences in sizes
of male and female riders: the following: Almost 35000 riders, among them 6856 female, have been
measured and the results have been collected in a database (www.bikefitting.com). Timeperiod: from
1994 - 1999. Western Europe, including Italy. Grouped in three size-categories, it appears that
differences (between male and female sporters) in lengths of legs, torsos, arms, shoulders etc. is
measured in millimeters, not centimeters. Greatest difference is torso-length of men and women of
165 - 170 cm: females 7 mm shorter. These averages are based on tens of thousands! Exceptions
compensated for. Minor lesson: differences among men are just as great as between men and women.
MAJOR CONCLUSION: THERE ARE NO EXPLANATORY DIFFERENCES IN RELATIVE BODY SIZES BETWEEN MEN AND WOMEN.
This common thought appears to be a prejudice. There must be another explanation. Kevin Franks of
Specialized explains: tilting the pelvis more vertical than men (or more backwards) reduces the
pressure on sensitive parts and therefore gives a more comfortable position as a matter of fact. The
need for a shorter top tube, longer head tube and shorter stem a.s.o is thereby explained. Which
explains the need for special female geometry bikes. Distribution of weight therefore is also
different. (Trek says women exert less pressure on the handlebar and therefore need a longer trail
of the fork, to maintain stability.). All this not because there is a fundamental difference between
relative sizes of limbs between men and women, but because of a fundamental difference in attitude
on the bike! Leontien van Moorsel (do not need to introduce her, do I?), who sits very low and does
not use a ladies saddle, after a long time trial: about the look of her private parts: "it really
looks like a mess". Anyway: have you tried a 650C wheeled bike? Top tube can be up to 3 cm shorter
(48.5 cm)! And wheels are lighter. Although rolling resistance is 8% higher. I know, tires are not
so easy to find, too. My question: don't you hit the handlebar when climbing "en danseuse"?

Sjef

I am not a UK citizen: what is the "dark side" bull-**** about? Sjef

wafflyDIRTYcatLITTERhcsBOX wrote:
>>PS. I'd like to go to the dark side, please. I've tried one out, and decided I very much like
>> three wheels instead of two, and a comfortable seat. Donations to Velvet's DarkSide Fund
>> appreciated ;-)

But shirley you'll need to try more than just one to really choose between trike and bike models?
The comfy seats are just as comfy on two wheels as three.

> Hah! I want donations to my own dark side fund thank you very much!

gf is waiting for more extensive trials back home in the NL for final model selection (and/or maybe
waiting for HPVel to get the Grasshopper in production and a demo to Kinetics), but seems pretty
sold on something Sithesque, probably a bike. Last week, said of the Streetmachine, "I'm quite used
to the 'bent now and it isn't exciting any more, it's just *nice*".

Pete.
http://www.dundee.ac.uk/~pjclinch/

Peter Clinch wrote:
> wafflyDIRTYcatLITTERhcsBOX wrote:
>
>>> PS. I'd like to go to the dark side, please. I've tried one out, and decided I very much like
>>> three wheels instead of two, and a comfortable seat. Donations to Velvet's DarkSide Fund
>>> appreciated ;-)
>

> But shirley you'll need to try more than just one to really choose between trike and bike models?
> The comfy seats are just as comfy on two wheels as three.
>
>> Hah! I want donations to my own dark side fund thank you very much!
>

> gf is waiting for more extensive trials back home in the NL for final model selection (and/or
> maybe waiting for HPVel to get the Grasshopper in production and a demo to Kinetics), but seems
> pretty sold on something Sithesque, probably a bike. Last week, said of the Streetmachine, "I'm
> quite used to the 'bent now and it isn't exciting any more, it's just *nice*".
>
> Pete.

Nope - the thing I *really* like about the trike is not having to balance the thing (other than
cornering, which is fine). I'm lazy, I don't want to have to remember to unclip to put a foot down -
and work out which foot it's going to be, then have a panic when it turns out I need the other one,
as is sometimes the case on my current bike!

I'd probably try out other trikes, yes - but that doesn't preclude me from getting all you lovely
people started on the fund for it, does it? *giggle*. It was an anthrotech I tried out. Very nice,
but I'd be interested to try one with a bit more reclined position too, and it'd be handy to have
front brakes on either hand, rather than just the right, though I really like the underseat steering
it has to be said.

Velvet

sjef schellings wrote:

> Hi, and thank you all for your input, apparently the VELVET- lady does want any mail in her mail
> box, therefore here is my answer to her question and to the benefit of the group:
>

> Hi, Regarding your question mark on my referring to recent empiric results on differences in sizes
> of male and female riders: the following: Almost 35000 riders, among them 6856 female, have been
> measured and the results have been collected in a database (www.bikefitting.com). Timeperiod: from
> 1994 - 1999. Western Europe, including Italy. Grouped in three size-categories, it appears that
> differences (between male and female sporters) in lengths of legs, torsos, arms, shoulders etc. is
> measured in millimeters, not centimeters. Greatest difference is torso-length of men and women of
> 165 - 170 cm: females 7 mm shorter. These averages are based on tens of thousands! Exceptions
> compensated for. Minor lesson: differences among men are just as great as between men and women.
> MAJOR CONCLUSION: THERE ARE NO EXPLANATORY DIFFERENCES IN RELATIVE BODY SIZES BETWEEN MEN AND
> WOMEN. This common thought appears to be a prejudice. There must be another explanation. Kevin
> Franks of Specialized explains: tilting the pelvis more vertical than men (or more backwards)
> reduces the pressure on sensitive parts and therefore gives a more comfortable position as a
> matter of fact. The need for a shorter top tube, longer head tube and shorter stem a.s.o is
> thereby explained. Which explains the need for special female geometry bikes. Distribution of
> weight therefore is also different. (Trek says women exert less pressure on the handlebar and
> therefore need a longer trail of the fork, to maintain stability.). All this not because there is
> a fundamental difference between relative sizes of limbs between men and women, but because of a
> fundamental difference in attitude on the bike! Leontien van Moorsel (do not need to introduce
> her, do I?), who sits very low and does not use a ladies saddle, after a long time trial: about
> the look of her private parts: "it really looks like a mess". Anyway: have you tried a 650C
> wheeled bike? Top tube can be up to 3 cm shorter (48.5 cm)! And wheels are lighter. Although
> rolling resistance is 8% higher. I know, tires are not so easy to find, too. My question: don't
> you hit the handlebar when climbing "en danseuse"?
>
> Sjef

Sjef, I've found from past experience the easiest way to avoid spam is to not have a valid mail
address (or even a munged one) when posting to news groups - sorry, that's just the way I do it, and
anyway, I think the group benefits from additional information being shared with all, not just one.

I have to wonder though about the study group - I think many women are discouraged from cycling,
especially on the more serious side of it, by the very fact that they find racing/touring bikes just
don't fit well, or are unwilling to even try them. There just aren't that many recreational-only
cyclists that would go and have a bike fitted in this way (I had mine done similarly, but only after
I realised it just wasn't fitting me right, and it wasn't at one of bikefitting.com's places) - it
takes being pretty serious about it to know there's such a thing in the first place, I think. So, I
think the people that would go have a fitting done are going to tend to be those who have cycled
enough to know they want a frame that fits perfectly, and are prepared to shell out the money for
that frame and the fitting, and that is probably going to be the more serious cyclist. That means
all the ones who didn't persevere through the ill-fitting frame before, and who gave up, won't be
part of the study group, so it's actually not all that accurate a sample, IMO.

(I'm not explaining this very well, apologies.)

I can understand tilting the pelvis back to keep the weight off the front would be different and
could contribute to the perception of shorter arms/torso, but that's a moot point from what I can
tell, whatever the root cause, women (or at least this one) need a shorter top tube to accommodate
that. I haven't tried a 650C bike - budget and weight criteria left me with really only one choice
of bike, back in the days when I wasn't quite as aware about fitting etc. I would think it would be
more suited to my needs, but I'm not about to swap now ;-) As for climbing 'en danseuse' - I can't
do it. Just can't get out of the saddle with the bars low. I can do it with them a little higher
than they are at the moment, and I'm at a loss to explain the difference other than it being a
confidence issue of being so far over the front of the bike when climbing out of the saddle. I'm not
a confident cyclist - still not having put in the hours necessary to get there! That, and my knees
won't take much punishment, so it tends to be sit and twiddle rather than stand and grind.

The dark side = recumbent bikes :)

Velvet

Velvet <[email protected]> writes:

>Peter Clinch wrote:
>>
>> gf is waiting for more extensive trials back home in the NL for final model selection (and/or
>> maybe waiting for HPVel to get the Grasshopper in production and a demo to Kinetics), but seems
>> pretty sold on something Sithesque, probably a bike. Last week, said of the Streetmachine, "I'm
>> quite used to the 'bent now and it isn't exciting any more, it's just *nice*".

You're sure I was talking about the 'bent? ;-)

>Nope - the thing I *really* like about the trike is not having to balance the thing (other than
>cornering, which is fine). I'm lazy, I

For me the balancing is part of the fun. I did try a low trike and it was nice enough (and I'm sure
Pete can give more exact details about which one it was...) and it did some interesting things in
corners but it just didn't appeal.

>don't want to have to remember to unclip to put a foot down - and work out which foot it's going to
>be, then have a panic when it turns out I need the other one, as is sometimes the case on my
>current bike!

Get one that is low enough to put a *hand* down instead :)

>I'd probably try out other trikes, yes - but that doesn't preclude me from getting all you lovely
>people started on the fund for it, does it? *giggle*. It was an anthrotech I tried out. Very nice,
>but I'd be interested to try one with a bit more reclined position too, and it'd be handy to have
>front brakes on either hand, rather than just the right, though I really like the underseat
>steering it has to be said.

Sounds like you'll need to join me at a 'try them all' day in Amsterdam. When I tried the
Speedmachine I was surprised that it wasn't as different from the Streetmachine as I expected, so I
haven't worked out yet what geometry I am looking for, have to try more, and in Glasgow the choice
was limited to a couple of models. In the end it will probably come down to some irrational factor
like which one comes in 'royal purple' :)

Roos

Roos Eisma wrote:

> For me the balancing is part of the fun. I did try a low trike and it was nice enough (and I'm
> sure Pete can give more exact details about which one it was...)

Kettwiesel, but being a delta with the seat over the back axle I'd imagine it handles very
differently to a tadpole with the weight reasonably well centred.

> and it did some interesting things in corners but it just didn't appeal.

I like the way a bike leans with the rider. Maybe I should try a Culty (lean-to-steer trike).

My main issue with trikes is they're just that bit extra unwieldy in some situations where a bike
can just sail on. Like Myra found when she needed something to fit between local bollards, or
keeping one level(ish) on the comedically rutted lane I stay on, and stuff like that. When (not
if...) I win the lottery I will have trikes to play on, but for now a bike is a more practical piece
of kit for what I want to do on it (a little bit of everything, basically).