Female walking partner required

Discussion in 'General Fitness' started by HALLAHAN134, Jan 2, 2005.

  1. HALLAHAN134

    HALLAHAN134 Guest

    I am 48,male and seperated and would like like to get in touch with any
    females of similar age who are interested in walking in the Lake
    District-Yorkshire Dales area.I live in southern Lancashire.

    Tags:

  2. JRS

    JRS Guest

    There are some good looking Friesians just out of Horton approaching
    Pen-Y-Ghent!

    Sorry - just had last of festive celebrations.

    Jon

    "HALLAHAN134" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    >I am 48,male and seperated and would like like to get in touch with any
    > females of similar age who are interested in walking in the Lake
    > District-Yorkshire Dales area.I live in southern Lancashire.

  3. JRS

    JRS Guest

    There are some good looking Friesians just out of Horton approaching
    Pen-Y-Ghent!

    Sorry - just had last of festive celebrations.

    Jon

    "HALLAHAN134" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    >I am 48,male and seperated and would like like to get in touch with any
    > females of similar age who are interested in walking in the Lake
    > District-Yorkshire Dales area.I live in southern Lancashire.

  4. Col

    Col Guest

    Why particular female walking partner? If you interested in walking, male or
    female would be nice.
    col xx
    "HALLAHAN134" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > I am 48,male and seperated and would like like to get in touch with any
    > females of similar age who are interested in walking in the Lake
    > District-Yorkshire Dales area.I live in southern Lancashire.

  5. Fran

    Fran Guest

    [email protected] said...
    > I am 48,male and seperated and would like like to get in touch with any
    > females of similar age who are interested in walking in the Lake
    > District-Yorkshire Dales area.I live in southern Lancashire.

    Ooh, yes please! Do you mind if I bring my husband and
    children?
    --
    All the best to everyone in 2005
    - Fran

  6. Fran

    Fran Guest

    [email protected] said...
    > I am 48,male and seperated and would like like to get in touch with any
    > females of similar age who are interested in walking in the Lake
    > District-Yorkshire Dales area.I live in southern Lancashire.

    Ooh, yes please! Do you mind if I bring my husband and
    children?
    --
    All the best to everyone in 2005
    - Fran

  7. Rooney

    Rooney Guest

    On 02 Jan 2005 22:50:56 GMT, [email protected] (HALLAHAN134) wrote:

    >I am 48,male and seperated and would like like to get in touch with any
    >females of similar age who are interested in walking in the Lake
    >District-Yorkshire Dales area.I live in southern Lancashire.

    Gordon, stop lying about your age!

  8. Rooney <[email protected]> writes
    >On 02 Jan 2005 22:50:56 GMT, [email protected] (HALLAHAN134) wrote:
    >
    >>I am 48,male and seperated and would like like to get in touch with any
    >>females of similar age who are interested in walking in the Lake
    >>District-Yorkshire Dales area.I live in southern Lancashire.

    >Gordon, stop lying about your age!

    LOL!
    I don't need to!
    I have a female walking/dancing partner, plus another female walking
    partner who I have known for 30 years.
    One is for Sundays, one for midweek.
    The 30 year partnership evolved from a 12 strong group from work, which
    dwindled to 8 then 4, then two of us.
    Seriously, I find a ten year gap about right for equal fitness/stamina,
    my same age partner struggles a bit on the hills, but is fine for
    dancing and other activities.

    I would expect that advertising for a female partner would either scare
    'em off, or else result in being out in the wilds with a man-eater.
    Did I ever tell you about the narrow escape I had once?
    My wife rescued me.
    --
    Gordon Harris

  9. Rooney

    Rooney Guest

    On Tue, 4 Jan 2005 23:52:03 +0000, Gordon Harris
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Seriously, I find a ten year gap about right for equal fitness/stamina,
    >my same age partner struggles a bit on the hills, but is fine for
    >dancing and other activities.

    I like this idea. I'll suggest it to the wife, who has recently
    baulked at jumping drainage ditches that couldn't have been more than
    4 or 5 feet wide.

  10. Rooney <[email protected]> writes
    >On Tue, 4 Jan 2005 23:52:03 +0000, Gordon Harris
    ><[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >>Seriously, I find a ten year gap about right for equal fitness/stamina,
    >>my same age partner struggles a bit on the hills, but is fine for
    >>dancing and other activities.

    >I like this idea. I'll suggest it to the wife, who has recently
    >baulked at jumping drainage ditches that couldn't have been more than
    >4 or 5 feet wide.

    <Gulp>
    I made myself miserable yesterday by plotting the Lake District walks we
    did exactly 30 years ago, when I was 41 - Striding Edge, Sharp Edge,
    then the Kentmere Round at 52.
    I did a 'walk-through' of them all in Tracklogs.

    Did I really do 1100m of ascent on those walks, and is it hopeless to
    attempt to get fit enough to do more than about 300 or 400m these days?

    I miss the views, but the contemplation of similar expeditions is
    daunting, even the descents would knacker my legs...... :)
    --
    Gordon Harris

  11. Peter Clinch

    Peter Clinch Guest

    Gordon Harris wrote:

    > Seriously, I find a ten year gap about right for equal fitness/stamina,
    > my same age partner struggles a bit on the hills, but is fine for
    > dancing and other activities.

    Seems like a small sample base... which is just as well as far as
    getting into trouble is concerned! ;-)

    But seriously, it's pointless to generalise and you just have to take as
    you find. Roos is a year older than me and aside from needing a fresh
    carb-up more often is basically at least as fit and fast as me for most
    things (I can break away if we're skiing but I've an extra 10 years'
    technique practice, OTOH she'll leave me for dust if it's running). Men
    are on average stronger and have more stamina, but that leaves plenty of
    cases where any two people will be equal or the other way around.

    Furthermore it is the case that as long as a team are doing things
    they're both happy with and within their capabilities it doesn't really
    matter if one is stronger than the other.

    Pete.
    --
    Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
    Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK

  12. W. D. Grey

    W. D. Grey Guest

  13. Rooney

    Rooney Guest

    On Wed, 5 Jan 2005 11:26:39 +0000, Gordon Harris
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Rooney <[email protected]> writes
    >>On Tue, 4 Jan 2005 23:52:03 +0000, Gordon Harris
    >><[email protected]> wrote:
    >>
    >>>Seriously, I find a ten year gap about right for equal fitness/stamina,
    >>>my same age partner struggles a bit on the hills, but is fine for
    >>>dancing and other activities.

    >>I like this idea. I'll suggest it to the wife, who has recently
    >>baulked at jumping drainage ditches that couldn't have been more than
    >>4 or 5 feet wide.
    >>

    ><Gulp>
    >I made myself miserable yesterday by plotting the Lake District walks we
    >did exactly 30 years ago, when I was 41 - Striding Edge, Sharp Edge,
    >then the Kentmere Round at 52.
    >I did a 'walk-through' of them all in Tracklogs.
    >
    >Did I really do 1100m of ascent on those walks, and is it hopeless to
    >attempt to get fit enough to do more than about 300 or 400m these days?

    Probably not hopeless at all. We met an old guy on Blencathra last
    year who'd passed everyone on his way up. Several much younger people
    had expressed amazement and asked him how he did it. He just said, 'I
    do it every week'. That's the answer - apart from joint problems, of
    course. But see below.

    >I miss the views, but the contemplation of similar expeditions is
    >daunting, even the descents would knacker my legs...... :)

    Can't you get something injected into the joints that helps out here -
    cortisone, or something?

  14. Rooney

    Rooney Guest

    On Wed, 5 Jan 2005 13:00:16 +0000, "W. D. Grey"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >In article <[email protected]>, Gordon Harris
    ><[email protected]> writes
    >>Did I ever tell you about the narrow escape I had once?
    >>My wife rescued me.

    >Now you *have* to tell us :)

    Indeed!
    Let me guess - some partnerless woman tried to hijack you on the hill,
    Gordon?

  15. Roger

    Roger Guest

    The message <[email protected]>
    from Gordon Harris <[email protected]> contains these words:

    > I made myself miserable yesterday by plotting the Lake District walks we
    > did exactly 30 years ago, when I was 41 - Striding Edge, Sharp Edge,

    Hmm. 30 years ago - 1974 - a memorable year but mostly not for the right
    reasons. A brief period in early summer went like this.

    Purchase of Lotus Elan BRM - club meet to Glen Brittle - 11 munro
    traverse of the Main Ridge in 9hrs 30 minutes - 490 miles back home from
    Kyle of Lochalsh in 7 hours including stops - failed attempt on Welsh
    3000s on an extremely hot day - lift back from Ogwen to Pen-y-pass to
    pick up car - unaccountably struggled to put up hood as it started to
    rain - rolled car over (and over and over....) off the bend just past
    the PYG (hindsight says heatstroke) - insurance company tries a rip-off
    by offering some 75% of my very recent purchase price having already
    sold the wreck for a third of that - received letter from Mrs Esme Kirby
    (ex Mrs I bought a Mountain Firbanks) demanding reparations for
    replacement fencing on a scale that would have done credit to Buckingham
    Palace - Lotus Elan Sprint purchased.

    --
    Roger Chapman so far this year - nothing

  16. Roger

    Roger Guest

    The message <[email protected]>
    from Rooney <[email protected]> contains these words:

    > Probably not hopeless at all. We met an old guy on Blencathra last
    > year who'd passed everyone on his way up. Several much younger people
    > had expressed amazement and asked him how he did it. He just said, 'I
    > do it every week'. That's the answer - apart from joint problems, of
    > course. But see below.

    Hmm. There can't be many like him about so he is probably the same one I
    met after I did Sharp Edge a couple of years ago. I wrote at the time:

    "On my return to the car park I was put properly in my place by a walker
    in his 70s who informed me that up until a couple of years ago he had
    been able to reach the summit of Blencathra from the car park in only an
    hour. Oh well 11.1 miles and 3000 feet of ascent in 4 and a half hours
    isn't too bad going.

    I followed my elderly acquaintance down the lane and out onto the trunk
    road and true to type as soon as there was an overtaking opportunity off
    he went. I meanwhile slowed and turned off for Stone End."

    --
    Roger Chapman so far this year - nothing

  17. Rooney

    Rooney Guest

    On Wed, 5 Jan 2005 17:50:31 GMT, Roger <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >Hmm. There can't be many like him about so he is probably the same one I
    >met after I did Sharp Edge a couple of years ago. I wrote at the time:
    >
    >"On my return to the car park I was put properly in my place by a walker
    >in his 70s who informed me that up until a couple of years ago he had
    >been able to reach the summit of Blencathra from the car park in only an
    >hour. Oh well 11.1 miles and 3000 feet of ascent in 4 and a half hours
    >isn't too bad going.
    >
    >I followed my elderly acquaintance down the lane and out onto the trunk
    >road and true to type as soon as there was an overtaking opportunity off
    >he went. I meanwhile slowed and turned off for Stone End."

    Yes - very likely the same man. Must be a mountain hare in disguise if
    he goes even faster than you!

  18. Roger

    Roger Guest

    The message <[email protected]>
    from Rooney <[email protected]> contains these words:

    > >"On my return to the car park I was put properly in my place by a walker
    > >in his 70s who informed me that up until a couple of years ago he had
    > >been able to reach the summit of Blencathra from the car park in only an
    > >hour. Oh well 11.1 miles and 3000 feet of ascent in 4 and a half hours
    > >isn't too bad going.
    > >
    > >I followed my elderly acquaintance down the lane and out onto the trunk
    > >road and true to type as soon as there was an overtaking opportunity off
    > >he went. I meanwhile slowed and turned off for Stone End."

    > Yes - very likely the same man. Must be a mountain hare in disguise if
    > he goes even faster than you!

    1. I didn't say that. (But the above is 2.1 miles further than the auld
    enemy would have got in 4.5 hours). Naismith was never intended for
    short distances so it would be a bit unfair to quote the Naismith Time
    of one hour 38 minutes as representative but at 1.82 miles and 2040 feet
    of ascent (MM) in under an hour the old boy must have been going at some
    pace.

    2. Please remember it is only a ng myth that I am a fast walker.

    --
    Roger Chapman

  19. Rooney <[email protected]> writes

    >>I miss the views, but the contemplation of similar expeditions is
    >>daunting, even the descents would knacker my legs...... :)

    >Can't you get something injected into the joints that helps out here -
    >cortisone, or something?

    I don't have any trouble with them as yet, but I anticipate that I would
    in 3000ft of descent, from memories of 30 years ago!
    --
    Gordon Harris

  20. Roger <[email protected]> writes
    >The message <[email protected]>
    >from Gordon Harris <[email protected]> contains these words:
    >
    >> I made myself miserable yesterday by plotting the Lake District walks we
    >> did exactly 30 years ago, when I was 41 - Striding Edge, Sharp Edge,

    >Hmm. 30 years ago - 1974 - a memorable year but mostly not for the right
    >reasons. A brief period in early summer went like this.
    >
    >Purchase of Lotus Elan BRM - club meet to Glen Brittle - 11 munro
    >traverse of the Main Ridge in 9hrs 30 minutes - 490 miles back home from
    >Kyle of Lochalsh in 7 hours including stops - failed attempt on Welsh
    >3000s on an extremely hot day - lift back from Ogwen to Pen-y-pass to
    >pick up car - unaccountably struggled to put up hood as it started to
    >rain - rolled car over (and over and over....) off the bend just past
    >the PYG (hindsight says heatstroke) - insurance company tries a rip-off
    >by offering some 75% of my very recent purchase price having already
    >sold the wreck for a third of that - received letter from Mrs Esme Kirby
    >(ex Mrs I bought a Mountain Firbanks) demanding reparations for
    >replacement fencing on a scale that would have done credit to Buckingham
    >Palace - Lotus Elan Sprint purchased.

    My insurance company had to pay for a hole in a dry stone wall in 2000!
    --
    Gordon Harris