Female walking partner required



H

HALLAHAN134

Guest
I am 48,male and seperated and would like like to get in touch with any
females of similar age who are interested in walking in the Lake
District-Yorkshire Dales area.I live in southern Lancashire.
 
J

JRS

Guest
There are some good looking Friesians just out of Horton approaching
Pen-Y-Ghent!

Sorry - just had last of festive celebrations.

Jon

"HALLAHAN134" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]
>I am 48,male and seperated and would like like to get in touch with any
> females of similar age who are interested in walking in the Lake
> District-Yorkshire Dales area.I live in southern Lancashire.
 
J

JRS

Guest
There are some good looking Friesians just out of Horton approaching
Pen-Y-Ghent!

Sorry - just had last of festive celebrations.

Jon

"HALLAHAN134" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]
>I am 48,male and seperated and would like like to get in touch with any
> females of similar age who are interested in walking in the Lake
> District-Yorkshire Dales area.I live in southern Lancashire.
 
C

Col

Guest
Why particular female walking partner? If you interested in walking, male or
female would be nice.
col xx
"HALLAHAN134" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> I am 48,male and seperated and would like like to get in touch with any
> females of similar age who are interested in walking in the Lake
> District-Yorkshire Dales area.I live in southern Lancashire.
 
F

Fran

Guest
[email protected] said...
> I am 48,male and seperated and would like like to get in touch with any
> females of similar age who are interested in walking in the Lake
> District-Yorkshire Dales area.I live in southern Lancashire.
>

Ooh, yes please! Do you mind if I bring my husband and
children?
--
All the best to everyone in 2005
- Fran
 
F

Fran

Guest
[email protected] said...
> I am 48,male and seperated and would like like to get in touch with any
> females of similar age who are interested in walking in the Lake
> District-Yorkshire Dales area.I live in southern Lancashire.
>

Ooh, yes please! Do you mind if I bring my husband and
children?
--
All the best to everyone in 2005
- Fran
 
R

Rooney

Guest
On 02 Jan 2005 22:50:56 GMT, [email protected] (HALLAHAN134) wrote:

>I am 48,male and seperated and would like like to get in touch with any
>females of similar age who are interested in walking in the Lake
>District-Yorkshire Dales area.I live in southern Lancashire.


Gordon, stop lying about your age!

--

R
o
o
n
e
y
 
G

Gordon Harris

Guest
Rooney <[email protected]> writes
>On 02 Jan 2005 22:50:56 GMT, [email protected] (HALLAHAN134) wrote:
>
>>I am 48,male and seperated and would like like to get in touch with any
>>females of similar age who are interested in walking in the Lake
>>District-Yorkshire Dales area.I live in southern Lancashire.

>
>Gordon, stop lying about your age!
>

LOL!
I don't need to!
I have a female walking/dancing partner, plus another female walking
partner who I have known for 30 years.
One is for Sundays, one for midweek.
The 30 year partnership evolved from a 12 strong group from work, which
dwindled to 8 then 4, then two of us.
Seriously, I find a ten year gap about right for equal fitness/stamina,
my same age partner struggles a bit on the hills, but is fine for
dancing and other activities.

I would expect that advertising for a female partner would either scare
'em off, or else result in being out in the wilds with a man-eater.
Did I ever tell you about the narrow escape I had once?
My wife rescued me.
--
Gordon Harris
 
R

Rooney

Guest
On Tue, 4 Jan 2005 23:52:03 +0000, Gordon Harris
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Seriously, I find a ten year gap about right for equal fitness/stamina,
>my same age partner struggles a bit on the hills, but is fine for
>dancing and other activities.


I like this idea. I'll suggest it to the wife, who has recently
baulked at jumping drainage ditches that couldn't have been more than
4 or 5 feet wide.

--

R
o
o
n
e
y
 
G

Gordon Harris

Guest
Rooney <[email protected]> writes
>On Tue, 4 Jan 2005 23:52:03 +0000, Gordon Harris
><[email protected]> wrote:
>
>>Seriously, I find a ten year gap about right for equal fitness/stamina,
>>my same age partner struggles a bit on the hills, but is fine for
>>dancing and other activities.

>
>I like this idea. I'll suggest it to the wife, who has recently
>baulked at jumping drainage ditches that couldn't have been more than
>4 or 5 feet wide.
>

<Gulp>
I made myself miserable yesterday by plotting the Lake District walks we
did exactly 30 years ago, when I was 41 - Striding Edge, Sharp Edge,
then the Kentmere Round at 52.
I did a 'walk-through' of them all in Tracklogs.

Did I really do 1100m of ascent on those walks, and is it hopeless to
attempt to get fit enough to do more than about 300 or 400m these days?

I miss the views, but the contemplation of similar expeditions is
daunting, even the descents would knacker my legs...... :)
--
Gordon Harris
 
P

Peter Clinch

Guest
Gordon Harris wrote:

> Seriously, I find a ten year gap about right for equal fitness/stamina,
> my same age partner struggles a bit on the hills, but is fine for
> dancing and other activities.


Seems like a small sample base... which is just as well as far as
getting into trouble is concerned! ;-)

But seriously, it's pointless to generalise and you just have to take as
you find. Roos is a year older than me and aside from needing a fresh
carb-up more often is basically at least as fit and fast as me for most
things (I can break away if we're skiing but I've an extra 10 years'
technique practice, OTOH she'll leave me for dust if it's running). Men
are on average stronger and have more stamina, but that leaves plenty of
cases where any two people will be equal or the other way around.

Furthermore it is the case that as long as a team are doing things
they're both happy with and within their capabilities it doesn't really
matter if one is stronger than the other.

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
Tel 44 1382 660111 ext. 33637 Univ. of Dundee, Ninewells Hospital
Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK
net [email protected] http://www.dundee.ac.uk/~pjclinch/
 
R

Rooney

Guest
On Wed, 5 Jan 2005 11:26:39 +0000, Gordon Harris
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Rooney <[email protected]> writes
>>On Tue, 4 Jan 2005 23:52:03 +0000, Gordon Harris
>><[email protected]> wrote:
>>
>>>Seriously, I find a ten year gap about right for equal fitness/stamina,
>>>my same age partner struggles a bit on the hills, but is fine for
>>>dancing and other activities.

>>
>>I like this idea. I'll suggest it to the wife, who has recently
>>baulked at jumping drainage ditches that couldn't have been more than
>>4 or 5 feet wide.
>>

><Gulp>
>I made myself miserable yesterday by plotting the Lake District walks we
>did exactly 30 years ago, when I was 41 - Striding Edge, Sharp Edge,
>then the Kentmere Round at 52.
>I did a 'walk-through' of them all in Tracklogs.
>
>Did I really do 1100m of ascent on those walks, and is it hopeless to
>attempt to get fit enough to do more than about 300 or 400m these days?


Probably not hopeless at all. We met an old guy on Blencathra last
year who'd passed everyone on his way up. Several much younger people
had expressed amazement and asked him how he did it. He just said, 'I
do it every week'. That's the answer - apart from joint problems, of
course. But see below.
>
>I miss the views, but the contemplation of similar expeditions is
>daunting, even the descents would knacker my legs...... :)


Can't you get something injected into the joints that helps out here -
cortisone, or something?

--

R
o
o
n
e
y
 
R

Rooney

Guest
On Wed, 5 Jan 2005 13:00:16 +0000, "W. D. Grey"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>In article <[email protected]>, Gordon Harris
><[email protected]> writes
>>Did I ever tell you about the narrow escape I had once?
>>My wife rescued me.

>
>Now you *have* to tell us :)


Indeed!
Let me guess - some partnerless woman tried to hijack you on the hill,
Gordon?

--

R
o
o
n
e
y
 
R

Roger

Guest
The message <[email protected]>
from Gordon Harris <[email protected]> contains these words:

> I made myself miserable yesterday by plotting the Lake District walks we
> did exactly 30 years ago, when I was 41 - Striding Edge, Sharp Edge,


Hmm. 30 years ago - 1974 - a memorable year but mostly not for the right
reasons. A brief period in early summer went like this.

Purchase of Lotus Elan BRM - club meet to Glen Brittle - 11 munro
traverse of the Main Ridge in 9hrs 30 minutes - 490 miles back home from
Kyle of Lochalsh in 7 hours including stops - failed attempt on Welsh
3000s on an extremely hot day - lift back from Ogwen to Pen-y-pass to
pick up car - unaccountably struggled to put up hood as it started to
rain - rolled car over (and over and over....) off the bend just past
the PYG (hindsight says heatstroke) - insurance company tries a rip-off
by offering some 75% of my very recent purchase price having already
sold the wreck for a third of that - received letter from Mrs Esme Kirby
(ex Mrs I bought a Mountain Firbanks) demanding reparations for
replacement fencing on a scale that would have done credit to Buckingham
Palace - Lotus Elan Sprint purchased.

--
Roger Chapman so far this year - nothing
 
R

Roger

Guest
The message <[email protected]>
from Rooney <[email protected]> contains these words:

> Probably not hopeless at all. We met an old guy on Blencathra last
> year who'd passed everyone on his way up. Several much younger people
> had expressed amazement and asked him how he did it. He just said, 'I
> do it every week'. That's the answer - apart from joint problems, of
> course. But see below.


Hmm. There can't be many like him about so he is probably the same one I
met after I did Sharp Edge a couple of years ago. I wrote at the time:

"On my return to the car park I was put properly in my place by a walker
in his 70s who informed me that up until a couple of years ago he had
been able to reach the summit of Blencathra from the car park in only an
hour. Oh well 11.1 miles and 3000 feet of ascent in 4 and a half hours
isn't too bad going.

I followed my elderly acquaintance down the lane and out onto the trunk
road and true to type as soon as there was an overtaking opportunity off
he went. I meanwhile slowed and turned off for Stone End."

--
Roger Chapman so far this year - nothing
 
R

Rooney

Guest
On Wed, 5 Jan 2005 17:50:31 GMT, Roger <[email protected]>
wrote:


>
>Hmm. There can't be many like him about so he is probably the same one I
>met after I did Sharp Edge a couple of years ago. I wrote at the time:
>
>"On my return to the car park I was put properly in my place by a walker
>in his 70s who informed me that up until a couple of years ago he had
>been able to reach the summit of Blencathra from the car park in only an
>hour. Oh well 11.1 miles and 3000 feet of ascent in 4 and a half hours
>isn't too bad going.
>
>I followed my elderly acquaintance down the lane and out onto the trunk
>road and true to type as soon as there was an overtaking opportunity off
>he went. I meanwhile slowed and turned off for Stone End."


Yes - very likely the same man. Must be a mountain hare in disguise if
he goes even faster than you!

--

R
o
o
n
e
y
 
R

Roger

Guest
The message <[email protected]>
from Rooney <[email protected]> contains these words:

> >"On my return to the car park I was put properly in my place by a walker
> >in his 70s who informed me that up until a couple of years ago he had
> >been able to reach the summit of Blencathra from the car park in only an
> >hour. Oh well 11.1 miles and 3000 feet of ascent in 4 and a half hours
> >isn't too bad going.
> >
> >I followed my elderly acquaintance down the lane and out onto the trunk
> >road and true to type as soon as there was an overtaking opportunity off
> >he went. I meanwhile slowed and turned off for Stone End."


> Yes - very likely the same man. Must be a mountain hare in disguise if
> he goes even faster than you!


1. I didn't say that. (But the above is 2.1 miles further than the auld
enemy would have got in 4.5 hours). Naismith was never intended for
short distances so it would be a bit unfair to quote the Naismith Time
of one hour 38 minutes as representative but at 1.82 miles and 2040 feet
of ascent (MM) in under an hour the old boy must have been going at some
pace.

2. Please remember it is only a ng myth that I am a fast walker.

--
Roger Chapman
 
G

Gordon Harris

Guest
Rooney <[email protected]> writes
>
>>I miss the views, but the contemplation of similar expeditions is
>>daunting, even the descents would knacker my legs...... :)

>
>Can't you get something injected into the joints that helps out here -
>cortisone, or something?
>

I don't have any trouble with them as yet, but I anticipate that I would
in 3000ft of descent, from memories of 30 years ago!
--
Gordon Harris
 
G

Gordon Harris

Guest
Roger <[email protected]> writes
>The message <[email protected]>
>from Gordon Harris <[email protected]> contains these words:
>
>> I made myself miserable yesterday by plotting the Lake District walks we
>> did exactly 30 years ago, when I was 41 - Striding Edge, Sharp Edge,

>
>Hmm. 30 years ago - 1974 - a memorable year but mostly not for the right
>reasons. A brief period in early summer went like this.
>
>Purchase of Lotus Elan BRM - club meet to Glen Brittle - 11 munro
>traverse of the Main Ridge in 9hrs 30 minutes - 490 miles back home from
>Kyle of Lochalsh in 7 hours including stops - failed attempt on Welsh
>3000s on an extremely hot day - lift back from Ogwen to Pen-y-pass to
>pick up car - unaccountably struggled to put up hood as it started to
>rain - rolled car over (and over and over....) off the bend just past
>the PYG (hindsight says heatstroke) - insurance company tries a rip-off
>by offering some 75% of my very recent purchase price having already
>sold the wreck for a third of that - received letter from Mrs Esme Kirby
>(ex Mrs I bought a Mountain Firbanks) demanding reparations for
>replacement fencing on a scale that would have done credit to Buckingham
>Palace - Lotus Elan Sprint purchased.
>

My insurance company had to pay for a hole in a dry stone wall in 2000!
--
Gordon Harris