Female walking partner required

[email protected] said...
> Can't you get something injected into the joints that helps out here -
> cortisone, or something?

Yes. And *OUCH*. Cortisone injections, so I'm told, are not
the most comfortable things to have.
--
All the best to everyone in 2005
- Fran

On Wed, 5 Jan 2005 20:38:49 GMT, Roger <[email protected]>
wrote:

>The message <[email protected]>
>from Rooney <[email protected]> contains these words:
>
>> >"On my return to the car park I was put properly in my place by a walker
>> >in his 70s who informed me that up until a couple of years ago he had
>> >been able to reach the summit of Blencathra from the car park in only an
>> >hour. Oh well 11.1 miles and 3000 feet of ascent in 4 and a half hours
>> >isn't too bad going.
>> >
>> >I followed my elderly acquaintance down the lane and out onto the trunk
>> >road and true to type as soon as there was an overtaking opportunity off
>> >he went. I meanwhile slowed and turned off for Stone End."

>> Yes - very likely the same man. Must be a mountain hare in disguise if
>> he goes even faster than you!

>1. I didn't say that. (But the above is 2.1 miles further than the auld
>enemy would have got in 4.5 hours). Naismith was never intended for
>short distances so it would be a bit unfair to quote the Naismith Time
>of one hour 38 minutes as representative but at 1.82 miles and 2040 feet
>of ascent (MM) in under an hour the old boy must have been going at some
>pace.

Yes - he must have been very fit!

>2. Please remember it is only a ng myth that I am a fast walker.

Attested to by everyone who has met you, I think.
I hope I'm as fit as you're reckoned to be when I reach your age!

On Wed, 5 Jan 2005 21:18:38 -0000, Fran <[email protected]> wrote:

>[email protected] said...
>> Can't you get something injected into the joints that helps out here -
>> cortisone, or something?
>>

>Yes. And *OUCH*. Cortisone injections, so I'm told, are not
>the most comfortable things to have.

A friend of mine had one and said it was *excruciating*.

W. D. Grey <[email protected]> writes
>In article <[email protected]>, Gordon Harris
><[email protected]> writes
>>Did I ever tell you about the narrow escape I had once?
>>My wife rescued me.

>Now you *have* to tell us :)

Nothing happened. :)

I had an old ham radio friend who died, and I helped to sell his gear,
and bought some of it myself. I hadn't met his family before, but
his widow told me her daughter was a keen walker, and even went off on
her own.
I was without a walking partner at that time, and said I would take her
in the York Dales. We met, she was very plain, homely looking, twice
divorced!
Good - no problems when I introduced her to my wife!

We did two excellent walks and she loved the dales, but she told me she
had fancied me as soon as she met me, and I had to manoeuvre my way out
of an invitation back to her flat.

It was a great shame, because she was, intelligent, and good company, an
expert on flora, but a bit of a man-eater.
I'll never know what I missed!
--
Gordon Harris

Roger <[email protected]> wrote in news:313030303131343441DC28A433
@nospam.zetnet.co.uk:

> Hmm. 30 years ago - 1974 - a memorable year but mostly not for the right
> reasons. A brief period in early summer went like this.
>
> Purchase of Lotus Elan BRM - club meet to Glen Brittle - 11 munro
> traverse of the Main Ridge in 9hrs 30 minutes

There you go again Roger - you can't say that your speed is a ng myth yet
produce stats like that one (and Ben Nevis up and down in 3.5 hours) -
however long ago it was. I cycled from John-O-Groats to Lands End in 1974 so
I wasn't unfit but I've never been remotely close to even your current
walking pace, let alone the Ben in 3.5 hours!

Don't be modest - we're impressed.

Stuart

Rooney <[email protected]> writes
>On Wed, 5 Jan 2005 20:38:49 GMT, Roger <[email protected]>
>wrote:
>
>>2. Please remember it is only a ng myth that I am a fast walker.

>Attested to by everyone who has met you, I think.
>I hope I'm as fit as you're reckoned to be when I reach your age!

I didn't notice any speed, but we only did a stroll together.
I did notice a few spots where his nose was more accurate than my
GPS.....
--
Gordon Harris

"Fran" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> [email protected] said...
> > Can't you get something injected into the joints that helps out here -
> > cortisone, or something?
> >

> Yes. And *OUCH*. Cortisone injections, so I'm told, are not
> the most comfortable things to have.

The needle is quite big as the fluid does not run too well. And yes it does
sting a bit, but it soon wears off (about 2-3 days I seem to remember). I
was out walking about a week after mine, which was into the fat pad behind
the patella to try and shrink it and stop it getting pinched on the down
hills. It mostly worked, but now I've gone and messed up some ligaments or
tendons (opinion is currently divided) on the side of the same knee.

Have fun,
Paul

The message <[email protected]>
from Gordon Harris <[email protected]> contains these words:

> >>2. Please remember it is only a ng myth that I am a fast walker.

> >Attested to by everyone who has met you, I think.
> >I hope I'm as fit as you're reckoned to be when I reach your age!
> >

> I didn't notice any speed, but we only did a stroll together.
> I did notice a few spots where his nose was more accurate than my
> GPS.....

Thanks Gordon. Now I have a reputation as an accurate navigator to live
up to as well as the myth of being a fast walker. :)

--
Roger Chapman so far this year - nothing