Fender for Rock Shox

wrench

Feb 16, 2005
My present commuter(Trek 7300) is about ready for a going over, it is my first 700c ride. It has done well for the past 4 years, but I want to go back to fat 26 inch tires as I like to do some exploring after work and the 700c's just don't cut it. Anyway I also have a Trek 4600 (same as 4500 except with 9 speed SRAM) and I prefer the way it fits me a lot more than the 7300. Does anyone have any experience with those MX looking fenders that can mount on suspension forks. I have full fenders on the 7300 that work great, but the Rock Shox Judy fork has no way to mount regular fenders. I would appreciate any replies.

wrench said:
My present commuter(Trek 7300) is about ready for a going over, it is my first 700c ride. It has done well for the past 4 years, but I want to go back to fat 26 inch tires as I like to do some exploring after work and the 700c's just don't cut it. Anyway I also have a Trek 4600 (same as 4500 except with 9 speed SRAM) and I prefer the way it fits me a lot more than the 7300. Does anyone have any experience with those MX looking fenders that can mount on suspension forks. I have full fenders on the 7300 that work great, but the Rock Shox Judy fork has no way to mount regular fenders. I would appreciate any replies.
I have Judy TT's on my hardtail. I use a crud catcher mounted on the downtube of my frame. It has a soft rubber front to allow for impact from the forks compressing. Keeps mud/grit from splashing up. Even if your frame doesn't have bosses for mounting, crud catcher's come with bands to allow quick installation/removal.

For commuting, ditch the suspension fork, replace it with a rigid fork to make your bike lighter, more efficient and reduce maintenance needs. If you haven't bought your bike yet then the shop will probably be willing to do this swap for free, or even offer you a discount. If you already have the bike, the fork will only cost you $30-$60. Then install a real fender.

FishMan473 said:
For commuting, ditch the suspension fork, replace it with a rigid fork to make your bike lighter, more efficient and reduce maintenance needs. If you haven't bought your bike yet then the shop will probably be willing to do this swap for free, or even offer you a discount. If you already have the bike, the fork will only cost you $30-$60. Then install a real fender.
I don't think so. Should I decide to build up a strict commuter, maybe full rigid, but I'm thinking the 4600 might be an everything ride, as I prefer just one bike instead of a bunch. besides, since I weigh in at 190, the weight savings are only negligable, just not that much.