fender mounting

Lee

Guest
I'm mounting a set of ESGE fenders on my commuting bike and I found that I
have almost zero clearance under the brake bridge.

Bike is a mid-80s Miyata 912, otherwise perfect for commuting the 12 miles
on suburban/rural streets.

What's the alternative mounting method? Over the brake?

Lee

On Mon, 30 Aug 2004 21:43:52 -0400, "Lee" <lee@levitts_SHOES.net>
wrote:

>I'm mounting a set of ESGE fenders on my commuting bike and I found that I
>have almost zero clearance under the brake bridge.
>
>Bike is a mid-80s Miyata 912, otherwise perfect for commuting the 12 miles
>on suburban/rural streets.
>
>What's the alternative mounting method? Over the brake?
>
>Lee

Why are you not getting clearance?

I've taken a sanding drum on a Dremel tool and trimmed away from the
edges in order to get more clearance on the sides. This allowed me to
raise the fender.

Lee said:
I'm mounting a set of ESGE fenders on my commuting bike and I found that I
have almost zero clearance under the brake bridge.

Bike is a mid-80s Miyata 912, otherwise perfect for commuting the 12 miles
on suburban/rural streets.

What's the alternative mounting method? Over the brake?

Lee

I can't picture the whole arrangement of your brakes, fender, and brake bridge; but can you get it over the brake bridge and under the brake?
What about a smaller tire?

I had a similar problem with the Freddy Fenders installed on my fixie last year
(excellent fenders, by the way).

The front had to be trimmed to fit between the fork blades (scalloped out on
each side w/ Dremel tool), but vertical clearance was adequate for the 23 mm
tire.

The rear worked fine with a 23 mm tire but when I put on a 25, the clearance
was insufficient. I'm running without fenders this summer but will have to put
a 23 on the rear when I reinstall them.

Mike Yankee

(Address is munged to thwart spammers.
To reply, delete everything after "com".)

"daveornee" <[email protected]> wrote in
message news:[email protected]...

> Lee Wrote:
> > I'm mounting a set of ESGE fenders on my commuting bike and I found that
> > have almost zero clearance under the brake bridge.
> >
> > Bike is a mid-80s Miyata 912, otherwise perfect for commuting the 12
> > miles
> > on suburban/rural streets.
> >
> > What's the alternative mounting method? Over the brake?
> >
> > Lee

> I can't picture the whole arrangement of your brakes, fender, and brake
> bridge; but can you get it over the brake bridge and under the brake?
> What about a smaller tire?

5 mm from brake bridge to top of 25mm tire. It rubs with the fender
installed under the brake bridge. A 23 mm tire just barely fits, no rubbing.

I'll have to play around some more, see if I can gain another couple of mm.

Looked kinda hoakey with the fender looped over the brake bridge and
caliper.

Lee

I don't have a Chorus brake handy, but it looks like the Shimano brake on
the bike now has more clearance than the Record brakes on my other bike.
(I'm planning on installing Chorus brakes on this bike).

Can anyone confirm this?

Lee

Lee wrote:

> I'm mounting a set of ESGE fenders on my commuting bike and I found
> that I have almost zero clearance under the brake bridge.
>
> Bike is a mid-80s Miyata 912, otherwise perfect for commuting the 12
> miles on suburban/rural streets.
>
> What's the alternative mounting method? Over the brake?
>
> [And in a later message]
> Looked kinda hoakey with the fender looped over the brake bridge and
> caliper.

I have the same problem with my late-80s Centurion. I have clip-on
fenders, and the rear had to go above the brake caliper. The rear
fender comes in two pieces: the fender itself which has a clip at the
front which is attaches to the seatpost tube, and a separate piece
which clips onto the brake bridge -- then the fender attaches to the
clip. I simply installed the clip upside-down, so it grabs the fender
above the brake bridge instead of below it.

It works surprisingly well. I don't think it looks particularly hokey,
but if looks ever matter, I can unclip it in 5 seconds.

I also had clearance issues with the front fender. The fender iself
had sufficient clearance, but the mounting post (which is supposed
to be inserted up the neck, and grab the brake caliper's bolt) stuck
out too far. So I omitted the post, and just used some wire to
attach the fender to the fork. It works okay.

>Lee wrote:
>>
>> I'm mounting a set of ESGE fenders on my commuting bike and I found
>> that I have almost zero clearance under the brake bridge.
>>
>> Bike is a mid-80s Miyata 912, otherwise perfect for commuting the 12
>> miles on suburban/rural streets.
>>
>> What's the alternative mounting method? Over the brake?

River City Bicycles in Portland, OR makes 'reacharounds'; mounting
brackets designed to mount over the brakes:

http://www.rivercitybicycles.com/product_info.php?cPath=130&products_id=613

They also make very sweet (and expensive) wood fenders:

http://www.rivercitybicycles.com/product_info.php?cPath=130&products_id=505

No connection, blah, blah, blah.

Ken