Fenders and Tektro Mini-V brakes

Bruce Graham

[email protected] says...
> I have an Ibex Corrida flat bar road bike I bought to use as a town
> bike/beater. The bike is set up pretty well, complete with rack bosses on
> the fork and two sets of eyelets. I bought fenders but I can't seem to mount
> them. The mini-v brakes are very short, and touch the top of the fender. I
> have been told I can cut the fender, but they're plastic and I'd hate to
> screw up a 50 dollar set of fenders. Would I have the same problem if I
> swapped out for a regular size MTB v brake? Nashbar has them on sale for
> $17.95 a pair for their house brand. Am I on the right track?

If you have mountain levers you will pull enough cable for the longer V
brakes. If you have road levers, the mini-V's are about as long as you
can go.

I can fit 32mm tyres and plastic fenders with my Tektro's but the
clearances are unpleasantly tight making brake cable removal a chore.

Gooserider wrote:
> The mini-v brakes are very short, and touch the top of the fender. I
> have been told I can cut the fender, but they're plastic and I'd hate

> to screw up a 50 dollar set of fenders.

I've solved a similar clearance issue by melting a groove into my
fender using a metal rod that I heated with a torch.

> Would I have the same problem if I
> swapped out for a regular size MTB v brake?

No, but your brake levers likely won't pull enough cable for full size
linear pull brakes. That's probably why your bike is equipped with
shorties.

Chalo Colina

"Bruce Graham" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> In article <[email protected]>,
> [email protected] says...
> > I have an Ibex Corrida flat bar road bike I bought to use as a town
> > bike/beater. The bike is set up pretty well, complete with rack bosses

on
> > the fork and two sets of eyelets. I bought fenders but I can't seem to

mount
> > them. The mini-v brakes are very short, and touch the top of the fender.

> > have been told I can cut the fender, but they're plastic and I'd hate to
> > screw up a 50 dollar set of fenders. Would I have the same problem if I
> > swapped out for a regular size MTB v brake? Nashbar has them on sale for
> > $17.95 a pair for their house brand. Am I on the right track?
> >

> If you have mountain levers you will pull enough cable for the longer V
> brakes. If you have road levers, the mini-V's are about as long as you
> can go.

I have flat bar road bike controls. They look like MTB levers, but I think
they're road bike specific.

> I can fit 32mm tyres and plastic fenders with my Tektro's but the
> clearances are unpleasantly tight making brake cable removal a chore.

Nashbar also has good ol' fashioned cantis for something like 10 bones
for two wheels worth. go this route (adjust your straddle cable
appropriately), and you should be good to go.

SYJ