fenders cracking in cold weather

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Dvt, Mar 2, 2004.

  1. Dvt

    Dvt Guest

    Here's a problem that has been plaguing me this winter. I ride a bus frequently, putting my bike on
    the bike rack. The bike rack has an arm that reaches up over the front wheel, holding the front
    wheel (and thus the bike) in the rack. That arm has cracked the front end of two fenders this
    winter, and each time the weather was bitter cold. I'm currently riding with a front fender that has
    nothing in front of the fork, and I'm getting pretty messy when I go down hills. Has anyone solved
    this problem?

    I'm currently using regular full fenders, which I think are made by SKS. I have used the more
    flexible fenders like those shown at excelsports.com (http://tinyurl.com/2eowq or
    http://tinyurl.com/329xk). I still have them. The front fender doesn't give very good coverage. But
    it is flexible, so it would probably survive the bike rack in cold weather. Perhaps I can figure out
    a way to connect the front of this fender to the back of the stiffer fender...

    --
    Dave dvt at psu dot edu

    Tags:

  2. Joel Mayes

    Joel Mayes Guest

    In article <[email protected]>, dvt wrote:
    > Here's a problem that has been plaguing me this winter. I ride a bus frequently, putting my bike
    > on the bike rack. The bike rack has an arm that reaches up over the front wheel, holding the front
    > wheel (and thus the bike) in the rack. That arm has cracked the front end of two fenders this
    > winter, and each time the weather was bitter cold. I'm currently riding with a front fender that
    > has nothing in front of the fork, and I'm getting pretty messy when I go down hills. Has anyone
    > solved this problem?

    If the traffic is light, lean right over to one side as you go down the hill and the spray
    will miss you.

    or cut the front end of the fender off before it snaps and rig up something to re-attach/dis-attach
    it as required, probably using old spokes or a coat hanger wire.

    --
    | Joel Mayes | /~\ ASCII Ribbon campaign Accordionist | \_/ stop HTML mail and news Musician | / \
    | Music Teacher |

  3. Zilla

    Zilla Guest

    dvt wrote:
    > Here's a problem that has been plaguing me this winter. I ride a bus frequently, putting my bike
    > on the bike rack. The bike rack has an arm that reaches up over the front wheel, holding the front
    > wheel (and thus the bike) in the rack. That arm has cracked the front end of two fenders this
    > winter, and each time the weather was bitter cold. I'm currently riding with a front fender that
    > has nothing in front of the fork, and I'm getting pretty messy when I go down hills. Has anyone
    > solved this problem?
    >
    > I'm currently using regular full fenders, which I think are made by SKS. I have used the more
    > flexible fenders like those shown at excelsports.com (http://tinyurl.com/2eowq or
    > http://tinyurl.com/329xk). I still have them. The front fender doesn't give very good coverage.
    > But it is flexible, so it would probably survive the bike rack in cold weather. Perhaps I can
    > figure out a way to connect the front of this fender to the back of the stiffer fender...

    Some materials engr. may confirm of negate this, but plastics get more brittle in cold weather. I've
    cracked a couple of snow ski boots for this reason.

    -Zilla