Fenders for fat 700c/29'er tires?

foldedpath

Guest
Are there good "commuter" type fenders (not mountain bike style) for fat
700c/"29'er" MTB tires?

This is for a Surly Karate Monkey frame, with plenty of frame clearance (I
think). I'm using Schwalbe Big Apple 28 x 2" tires, which are big, but
smaller than the maximum you can fit in this frame. The bike has disc
brakes, so brake clearance isn't a problem.

Mounting options -- there are rack eyelets near both front and rear
dropouts, but it's a tight fit around the disc brakes on the left side.
There are mounting holes at the front fork crown, and the bridge across the
seat stays. Also the frame has traditional brake mounting points front and
rear, that are currently unused due to the disc brakes.

I'm clueless about big fenders or how to mount them. But I'd like to avoid
the short MTB-style fenders, and would prefer to get "real" fenders that
wrap around the tire... if such a thing exists in this XXL tire size. I've
done some poking around on the usual mail-order web sites, but I haven't
found anything that looks like a good candidate yet.

Thanks in advance for any help!

--
Mike Barrs

On Fri, 23 Jul 2004 01:33:47 -0000, foldedpath
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Are there good "commuter" type fenders (not mountain bike style) for fat
>700c/"29'er" MTB tires?

I've been told that SKS fenders are all built to the same shape and
simply labeled based on typical use. They get pulled into shape by the
mounting. Maybe someone else knows more about this?

So maybe the biggest SKS fenders would fit 700c wheels? P65 size

http://www.peterwhitecycles.com/fenders.asp

In article <[email protected]>, Dan Daniel
<[email protected]> writes:

>I've been told that SKS fenders are all built to the same shape and
>simply labeled based on typical use. They get pulled into shape by the
>mounting. Maybe someone else knows more about this?

This is not the exact issue but I've easily mounted an SKS fender that was
originally purchased for a 700 c equiped frame on a touring frame with 26 inch
wheels.

Tom Gibb <[email protected]>