Fenders for roadies?

thebeatcatcher

Nov 10, 2006
I have an old road bike that I'm going to start commuting with, but it doesn't have the braze-ons/eyelets for fenders.

Are there any good fenders I could use? Anyone ever try to mount them with zip-ties?

I would also be open to drilling/modifying the old frame if that is an option.

Maybe you could replace the front fork to something with holes?

I've heard there are SKS Raceblades available for racing bikes from PBK, but they don't ship to New Zealand.

yeah SKS and Planet Bike both make fenders for bikes without brazeons. I have a set of SKS Raceblades for my rain bike and I like them just fine. I wrap a little electrical tape around the fork/stays so that they don't scratch up the finish.
I've also seen people use pipe clamps to attach standard fenders to a bike without brazeons too - wrap a bit of an old innertube around the the fork/stays to keep from damaging the paint and to prevent slippage. Usually a bike without eyelets doesn't have the clearance to take a standard fender under the brake either so you may need to split the fender to get full coverage- a bike shop can probably help you with the hardware you need to bridge the brakes.
One of my teammates had a standard pair attatched with zip ties, but one broke part way through a ride and we had to break off the other one and stuff the fender in her pocket for the rest of the ride - it was dragging. So I can't say I recommend the zip tie route unless you use really tough ones and carry a few extras just in case.