Fenders oh fenders

serra

Apr 18, 2010
So last winter, I thought "I don't need fenders! Those are for squares^2!" Boy was I wrong :eek: Even though it's bloody hot now, I'm already searching for fenders for this winter. My tires are 38 mm, and I was wondering if I should use 45mm or 60mm fenders. If I use the 60mm, I'll have to cut out part of it to fit in between the stays. Has anyone had any luck doing that to fenders? (Polycarbonate)

I wouldn't saw them if they're polycarbonate. They'll probably crack.

Lots of little snips with some very sharp wire cutters followed up by filing them down to a smooth edge (to remove stress risers) or just use a cutting bit in a high speed rotary tool like a Dremmel and smooth with a file or sandpaper.

Aluminium fenders may be your best bet.

Failing that the SKS Raceblade fenders are a good second choice. They'll fit most racing bikes but are not quite as good as full fenders.

Hm I'll have to look for metal ones, it would be a lot easier to cut without worrying about cracking. I've just heard a lot of good things about Planet Bike's fenders.

I've got a Jamis Citizen with 38mm tires as well, and I installed 45mm Velo-Orange metal fenders, and they work great. And boy, was I happy to have them in this morning's downpour on my way into the city!

Fenders are really nice when the road is wet! I've got Planet Bike fenders on my Novara Safari. They rattle a bit on bumpy roads. Not so much that I'd throw them out and replace them, but it can be slightly irritating.

I have aluminum fenders on my road bike and prefer them because they are very sturdy and don't ever rattle around.

I'm not sure how much of the difference is material (plastic vs. metal) but next time I'll keep a close eye on how stiff they mount.

45 mm will be fine. That is wider than your tire and it is the spray coming off the back that is most annoying.

Fenders are really nice when the road is wet! I've got Planet Bike fenders on my Novara Safari. They rattle a bit on bumpy roads. Not so much that I'd throw them out and replace them, but it can be slightly irritating.

I have aluminum fenders on my road bike and prefer them because they are very sturdy and don't ever rattle around.

I'm not sure how much of the difference is material (plastic vs. metal) but next time I'll keep a close eye on how stiff they mount.

45 mm will be fine. That is wider than your tire and it is the spray coming off the back that is most annoying.