Fenders on Road Bike for Winter

littlefitzer

Aug 11, 2005
Hi all,
I'm just wondering do any of you have any experience in attaching full length fenders to a road bike (in my case a Trek 1200).

I want to continue to use the bike during the winter so am in the process of winterising it (greasing the essentials, bought 25C cyclo cross tires etc), but would also like to get some fenders. However there are obviously no eyelets on this frame for permanent type fenders, and those clip on fenders seem pretty **** to me.

Anyone any advice? Apart from the one alternative I can think of which is to buy a beater.

Thanks,
littlefitzer.

Powerful Pete said:
SKS makes a fine set of race bike only fenders, which are almost as good as the French Berthoud ones. Check out the details at: http://www.peterwhitecycles.com/fenders.asp

I am sure you can also find them elsewhere if you google em! Happy riding! :)
Thanks Pete.
Those SKS ones for the race bike aren't full length though, are they?

Perhaps it would be possible to buy full length ones and use p-clips or the like? What do you think?

Thanks,
littlefitzer

littlefitzer said:
Thanks Pete.
Those SKS ones for the race bike aren't full length though, are they?

Perhaps it would be possible to buy full length ones and use p-clips or the like? What do you think?

Thanks,
littlefitzer

The P-clips will work--wrap the frame with a bit of tape to protect against scratches. I use the full-length SKS fenders and find them to be excellent. They come in a narrow width for use with 20-28mm tires and seem to fit my older steel Trek road frame fine. They provide much better coverage than the SKS race blades. You will have to make sure that you have sufficient clearance for the fender to fit between your frame and the rear wheel and also check clearance under the brake bridge.

John M said:
The P-clips will work--wrap the frame with a bit of tape to protect against scratches. I use the full-length SKS fenders and find them to be excellent. They come in a narrow width for use with 20-28mm tires and seem to fit my older steel Trek road frame fine. They provide much better coverage than the SKS race blades. You will have to make sure that you have sufficient clearance for the fender to fit between your frame and the rear wheel and also check clearance under the brake bridge.
Thanks John...sounds like good advice!

Are you sure those Cyclocross tires will fit int he 1200 brakes? My friend had to switch to V Brakes to make them fit.

TKOS said:
Are you sure those Cyclocross tires will fit int he 1200 brakes? My friend had to switch to V Brakes to make them fit.
No TKOS....I am not 100% sure. I have 25mm tires on the bike as is and there seems to be plenty of room.
I wouldn't have thought 25mm knobbly tires would be that much bigger. Am I wrong?

If you live in an area where you have a lot of winter weather, your LBS people may have seen the problem, and can have good advice for you.

The beater idea has a lot of merit. I've read some articles about what salt can do to a nice bike.

As I live in Vancouver, British Columbia, and commute to work and back throughout the year I thought I might share some of my experiences.
First off it's a pain in the butt to get the standard road fenders to fit into the gap between the rear brake support and the tire. There's always too much rubbing! So what I did last fall on my Trek 5000, is start the fender at the rear brake support and fasten the fender at two places on the tube going from the seat stay to the rear hub. This way, you can use more clearance and you'll never hear any rubbing noises.
For the front fender, do the same thing. This means you'll need a second rear fender unit as it's the rear fender that has 2 supports. Cut the fender so that it starts just behind the top of the fork and goes down past the point where the 'normal' front fender would go. The advantage of doing this is you'll get more protection from the front wheel spash that typically drenches your shoes.

lehowe0 said:
If you live in an area where you have a lot of winter weather, your LBS people may have seen the problem, and can have good advice for you.

The beater idea has a lot of merit. I've read some articles about what salt can do to a nice bike.

Thanks to all that anwered....I decided in the end to buy a beater for $120, a real bargain in my opinion as it is in great working order, light and is the right size, even has eyelets...so I'm sorted.

Thanks again,
littlefitzer