fenders- SKG or Planet Bike?

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Dan Daniel

I need a set of fenders for a 26" bike. Full coverage, permanent mounting. I'll be adding a mud flap
myself no matter what, as the Planet Bike one looks too short and too narrow.

I've used SKG (esge?) fenders and have had no problems. Anyone have a compelling reason to buy
Planet Bike fenders over the SKGs? Other than price difference.

Thanks.

In article <[email protected]>,
Dan Daniel <[email protected]> writes:
> I need a set of fenders for a 26" bike. Full coverage, permanent mounting. I'll be adding a mud
> flap myself no matter what, as the Planet Bike one looks too short and too narrow.
>
> I've used SKG (esge?) fenders and have had no problems. Anyone have a compelling reason to buy
> Planet Bike fenders over the SKGs? Other than price difference.
>
> Thanks.

There all good, as far as I can tell. The Mt Zefal metallized plastic full fenders are just as good,
too. If you're politically motivated, Planet Bike does that 25% of profits donation thing for
promoting cycling as enviro-friendliness.

One thing I want to eventually do, is to mount a reflector on my (Planet Bike) rear fender, just
like how fenders used to come in the old days (the reflector's currently bolted to the milk crate
right now.) Built-into the fender would be more aesthetically appealing, and less vulnerable than
those bendable reflector brackets. I'd glady pay the extra expense for a fender that comes with a
nice reflector built-in.

Speaking of my rear fender, it has that clip that goes on the bridge doohicky behind the BB. It kept
rattling off, so I zip-tied it on. What with the computer and generator wiring, and the milk crate,
I must have nearly a pound of zip-ties on the bike by now.

cheers, Tom

--
-- Powered by FreeBSD Above address is just a spam midden. I'm really at: tkeats [curlicue] vcn
[point] bc [point] ca

Originally posted by Tom Keats
In article <[email protected]>,
Dan Daniel <[email protected]> writes:
> I need a set of fenders for a 26" bike. Full coverage, permanent mounting. I'll be adding a mud
> flap myself no matter what, as the Planet Bike one looks too short and too narrow.
>
> I've used SKG (esge?) fenders and have had no problems. Anyone have a compelling reason to buy
>
> Thanks.

I have planetbike full fenders and have not had any issues with them for the past 6 months (when I got them), through daily 10 mile work commute. They did seem alittle flimsy at first when I saw them on, but they have held up fine, unless you plan on doing something other than commuting? I would support planetbike for thier contributions to bike related causes as well. I also just ordered a 7 led rear light for my bike from them and it has been good to me so far.

>Speaking of my rear fender, it has that clip that goes on the bridge doohicky behind the BB. It
>kept rattling off, so I zip-tied it on.

The doohickey is properly called a chainstay bridge, I believe.

One thing I found out about zip ties is that in subfreezing weather they get brittle, or maybe I was
using cheap zip ties.

Packed snow under the fender probably contributed to the one at the brake bridge failing, I replaced
that one with a sturdy bolt.

Although that bike has cantis, so is the brake bridge really a brake bridge or is it a seatstay
bridge? And what about the other bridge, the one that supports the rear brake cable housing stop?

Anyway, the fenders are Zefals, which have lasted without any problems.

--

_______________________ALL AMIGA IN MY MIND_______________________ ------------------"Buddy Holly,
the Texas Elvis"------------------
__________306.350.357.38>>[email protected]__________

Zefal

Dan Daniel <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
>
>
> Thanks.

In article <[email protected]>, "Eric S. Sande" <[email protected]> writes:

> The doohickey is properly called a chainstay bridge, I believe.

Well,to me, it's a fender clip bridge, and sometimes a wheel-centering guide :) A rose by any
other name ...

> One thing I found out about zip ties is that in subfreezing weather they get brittle, or maybe I
> was using cheap zip ties.

Subfreezing temps is one thing I don't have to worry about (much (I hope)).

> Packed snow under the fender probably contributed to the one at the brake bridge failing, I
> replaced that one with a sturdy bolt.
>
> Although that bike has cantis, so is the brake bridge really a brake bridge or is it a
> seatstay bridge?

Maybe that depends on whether or not it has a brake-bolt hole? I dunno. Bridge, cross-member, truss
... one could spend all kinds of time contemplating bike anatomical terminology, I guess.

> And what about the other bridge, the one that supports the rear brake cable housing stop?
>
> Anyway, the fenders are Zefals, which have lasted without any problems.

My second-latest acquisition (the Norco hybrid) has 'em, too. I like them.

cheers, Tom

--