fenders to use on a Taiko

Douglas Cole

Guest
Ok so we are in our spring "rainy season" and it is cramping my style (I really want to get out and
ride) and since I just got a new 'bent I don't have a clue as to what type of fenders to get, and
all the LBS think recumbents are for nutters so they don't carry much in the way of stuff for them .

So my question is does anyone know who makes fenders for 'bents or does one have to modify ones that
are not made for them?

I have a burley Taiko which has a 20" front and 26" rear tire and the fork and rear tubes seem to
have mounts for fenders, so I think there is hope, but I am not clear on what to use...

tia for any input

As the rain pours down outside I sit inside looking at my nice new 'bent....
--
Douglas Cole http://www.users.qwest.net/~cdoug3 Registered Linux user # 188922

"Douglas Cole" skrev...
> Ok so we are in our spring "rainy season" and it is cramping my style (I really want to get out
> and ride) and since I just got a new 'bent I don't have a clue as to what type of fenders to
> get, and all the LBS think recumbents are for nutters so they don't carry much in the way of
> stuff for them .

http://www.hostelshoppe.com/cgi-bin/readitem.pl?Accessory=987104104

Dunno if they work but they look pretty standard.

Enjoy your new bike! Mikael

> "Douglas Cole" skrev...
> > Ok so we are in our spring "rainy season" and it is cramping my style (I really want to get out
> > and ride) and since I just got a new 'bent I don't have a clue as to what type of fenders to
> > get, and all the LBS think recumbents are for nutters so they don't carry much in the way of
> > stuff for them .
>
> http://www.hostelshoppe.com/cgi-bin/readitem.pl?Accessory=987104104
>
> Dunno if they work but they look pretty standard.
At $35 a pair the HP Velotechnic are the least expensive (All mfg seem to get their fenders from
SKS(ESGE) These are SKS and have mud flaps. I have them on aLightning P-38 and a Bacchetta Giro. If
toy have standard eyelets in front and back. I think these will work for you too.
- Bellaire, TX USA -

> I have a burley Taiko which has a 20" front and 26" rear tire and the fork and rear tubes seem to
> have mounts for fenders, so I think there is hope, but I am not clear on what to use...
>
> tia for any input
>
> As the rain pours down outside I sit inside looking at my nice new
'bent....
> --
> Douglas Cole

I ordered the recumbent fenders from planet bike. the rear fender arrived a couple of days ago and
it went on my RANS V2 painlessly. The front fender has been backordered but I'm confident it will go
on as easily. planet bike are extra nice folks and they seem to have their heads/hearts in the
proper place, IMO.

side note, got out for my first extended ride of the year today and 4 miles into my ride, I cut a
corner short and my back wheel caught the edge of the pavement. sure enough, a mile later, the back
of the bike began to sway and I pulled over to inspect my now-flat primo comet. just got back from
the lbs where I purchased a new vittoria randeoneur cross in a 1.75 size. its big, its heavy, its
tough, and its gonna keep me rolling, I hope. a pox those comets! it wasn't even a proper pothole
that I hit.

and of course, my topeak road morph pump was sitting on the garage floor as I pushed the bike up the
driveway. but boy, those first 5 miles on the bike sure were fun! 8^)

rich

Rich Westerman wrote:

>> I have a burley Taiko which has a 20" front and 26" rear tire and the fork and rear tubes seem to
>> have mounts for fenders, so I think there is hope, but I am not clear on what to use...
>>
>> tia for any input
>>
>> As the rain pours down outside I sit inside looking at my nice new
> 'bent....
>> --
>> Douglas Cole
>

> I ordered the recumbent fenders from planet bike. the rear fender arrived a couple of days ago and
> it went on my RANS V2 painlessly. The front fender has been backordered but I'm confident it will
> go on as easily. planet bike are extra nice folks and they seem to have their heads/hearts in the
> proper place, IMO.

Hmm , haven't heard of them , will have to google them out :)

> side note, got out for my first extended ride of the year today and 4 miles into my ride, I cut a
> corner short and my back wheel caught the edge of the pavement. sure enough, a mile later, the
> back of the bike began to sway and I pulled over to inspect my now-flat primo comet. just got back
> from the lbs where I purchased a new vittoria randeoneur cross in a 1.75 size. its big, its heavy,
> its tough, and its gonna keep me rolling, I hope. a pox those comets! it wasn't even a proper
> pothole that I hit.
Ooh , man , that sucks, you aren't the first posting I have read about the primo comet , I was a
bit leary of such a fine tread tire (they came stock on my Taiko) but so far so good (a bit stiff
ride but ok),hope I don't flatten one, Spokane's roads are really nasty...

> and of course, my topeak road morph pump was sitting on the garage floor as I pushed the bike up
> the driveway. but boy, those first 5 miles on the bike sure were fun! 8^)
>
> rich

Flats suck, even more when the pump is at home :( My first fun ride was last tuesday on my new
'bent, it sure is cool, fun is definately the operative word, its a total blast to bank into a curve
and ride through it pedaling and to end a ride without numb wrists and a neckache :) Still fine
tuning the seat and handlebar adjustment...

Thanks for the input .

--
Douglas Cole http://www.users.qwest.net/~cdoug3 Registered Linux user # 188922