Fenders

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by George Shaffer, Jan 23, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I'm looking to get a set of fenders, and wonder about the quality of the SKS fenders vs. the Zefal
    CAB. I haven't had any luck locating some original old steel ones. Also, I'm on 27" x 1 1/8"
    tires...will the SKS P35 be suitable, or should I go with Zefal's 42mm (I do run 1 1/4" tires most
    of the time).
     
    Tags:


  2. Zoot Katz

    Zoot Katz Guest

    Wed, 15 Jan 2003 01:26:05 GMT, <[email protected]>, "George
    Shaffer" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >I'm looking to get a set of fenders, and wonder about the quality of the SKS fenders vs. the Zefal
    >CAB. I haven't had any luck locating some original old steel ones. Also, I'm on 27" x 1 1/8"
    >tires...will the SKS P35 be suitable, or should I go with Zefal's 42mm (I do run 1 1/4" tires most
    >of the time).
    >
    The SKS and Zefal fenders I have are comparable in quality. Both fine fenders. 35 is what I run with
    1 1/4" tires.

    You might want to look at the Planet Bike fenders which can be an outstanding value. They'll soon be
    available colours besides black and are a very rugged fender. http://www.planetbike.com/fenders.html
    --
    zk
     
  3. Buck

    Buck Guest

    "Zoot Katz" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Wed, 15 Jan 2003 01:26:05 GMT, <[email protected]>,
    > "George Shaffer" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > >I'm looking to get a set of fenders, and wonder about the quality of the
    SKS
    > >fenders vs. the Zefal CAB. I haven't had any luck locating some original
    old
    > >steel ones. Also, I'm on 27" x 1 1/8" tires...will the SKS P35 be
    suitable,
    > >or should I go with Zefal's 42mm (I do run 1 1/4" tires most of the
    time).
    > >
    > The SKS and Zefal fenders I have are comparable in quality. Both fine fenders. 35 is what I run
    > with 1 1/4" tires.
    >
    > You might want to look at the Planet Bike fenders which can be an outstanding value. They'll soon
    > be available colours besides black and are a very rugged fender.
    > http://www.planetbike.com/fenders.html
    > --
    > zk

    So Zoot and I agree on something! It looks like the SKS and Zefal fenders are made in the same
    plant. The only difference is the number of rivets used to hold the stays to the fender. In fact,
    the front fender stay release has SKS stamped on it. I bought the Zefals because they were a bit
    cheaper locally and the only SKS fenders available were the worng size. They have been holding up
    quite well despite the beating they take at the bike rack.

    -Buck
     
  4. Zoot Katz wrote:

    > "George Shaffer" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > >I'm looking to get a set of fenders, and wonder about the quality of the SKS fenders vs. the
    > >Zefal CAB. I haven't had any luck locating some original old steel ones. Also, I'm on 27" x 1
    > >1/8" tires...will the SKS P35 be suitable, or should I go with Zefal's 42mm (I do run 1 1/4"
    > >tires most of the time).
    > >
    > The SKS and Zefal fenders I have are comparable in quality. Both fine fenders. 35 is what I run
    > with 1 1/4" tires.
    >
    > You might want to look at the Planet Bike fenders which can be an outstanding value. They'll soon
    > be available colours besides black and are a very rugged fender.
    > http://www.planetbike.com/fenders.html

    By all means look at the PlanetBike ones. I run them on my ice bike and they've been much more
    rugged than the previous two pairs of SKS, which both cracked.

    More rigid in their attachment.

    SMH
     
  5. Saltytri

    Saltytri Guest

    Just put the Planet Bike road fenders on a Lemond Zurich last night. They seem to be very good
    quality both with regard to the fenders themselves and the hardware. Also have SKS on my old cruiser
    with 27" tires and they are also very good quality. Not much to distinguish the two brands from a
    practical standpoint.
     
  6. Jon Isaacs

    Jon Isaacs Guest

    >You might want to look at the Planet Bike fenders which can be an outstanding value.

    I have a set of these, I believe they were called Freddy Fenders, best things I've got.

    jon isaacs
     
  7. Zoot Katz

    Zoot Katz Guest

    15 Jan 2003 02:03:03 GMT, <[email protected]>, [email protected]
    (Saltytri) wrote:

    >Just put the Planet Bike road fenders on a Lemond Zurich last night. They seem to be very good
    >quality both with regard to the fenders themselves and the hardware. Also have SKS on my old
    >cruiser with 27" tires and they are also very good quality. Not much to distinguish the two brands
    >from a practical standpoint.

    My Freddy Hard Core were less expensive than the SKS or good Zefal ones. They were readily available
    in the size and colour (black) I needed. PlanetBike donates 25% of their profits to bike advocacy.
    Those points influenced my purchase but the PB fenders lose no points for quality. All three are
    fine fenders. The Euro fenders would score better styling points on a Euro bike.

    I used SKS fenders intended for a 700C wheel on my 27" bike. It fits a tad odd around the
    circumference though works quite well. I had to grind a notch into the side of it so a dynamo pulley
    would clear.

    But, I had to do that with the original Esge fender intended for 27" wheels. They were able to
    accomodate the wheel, with more clearance at the rear of the tire, when the axle is all the way to
    the back of the horizontal drop-outs. With the new fender I move the axle a bit forward. So, if
    you've got vertical drop-outs and long chainstays with 27" wheels, you may have to get creative to
    fit large tires. Don't forget room for the reflector nuts.
    --
    zk
     
  8. Bernie

    Bernie Guest

    George Shaffer wrote:

    > I'm looking to get a set of fenders, and wonder about the quality of the SKS fenders vs. the Zefal
    > CAB. I haven't had any luck locating some original old steel ones. Also, I'm on 27" x 1 1/8"
    > tires...will the SKS P35 be suitable, or should I go with Zefal's 42mm (I do run 1 1/4" tires most
    > of the time).

    Hey George, Consider Planet Bike fenders. Mountain Equipment Co-op in Canada sells them for about
    $22.00 CAD. They call them "Freddy Fenders", make them for road, hybrid, mountain bikes. They come
    in any colour, as long as you like black. Tough flexible plastic, metal mounts and stays. Full wrap
    fenders with little rubbery mudflaps. The mudflaps only last about a year if you ride a lot, but
    retrofits can be home made from a bleach bottle. Don't know how long the actual fenders will last,
    as I have only 2 years experience with them. I did like them enough to buy a set for my old winter
    beater ridgid frame mtn bike. DISCLAIMER: I don't work for MEC or Planet Bike. I just know they work
    Best regards, Bernie
     
  9. Doug Kennedy

    Doug Kennedy Guest

    On Wed, 15 Jan 2003 13:34:38 -0600, Bernie wrote:

    > Hey George, Consider Planet Bike fenders. Mountain Equipment Co-op in Canada sells them for about
    > $22.00 CAD. They call them "Freddy Fenders", make them for road, hybrid, mountain bikes. They come
    > in any colour, as long as you like black. Tough flexible plastic, metal mounts and stays. Full
    > wrap fenders with little rubbery mudflaps. The mudflaps only last about a year if you ride a lot,
    > but retrofits can be home made from a bleach bottle. Don't know how long the actual fenders will
    > last, as I have only 2 years experience with them. I did like them enough to buy a set for my old
    > winter beater ridgid frame mtn bike.

    If you call Planet Bike they'll send replacement flaps for free. They have a good attachment system
    and the stainless hardware hasn't rusted at all.

    > DISCLAIMER: I don't work for MEC or Planet Bike.
    Nor do I!

    Doug Kennedy
     
  10. Looks like all signs point to Freddy. Just got back from Planet bike and kinda like the looks of
    them. Thanx for all the advice!
     
  11. Bernie

    Bernie Guest

    Well thanks for the advice. They have been the best fenders I've ever used. I will look em
    up. Bernie

    Doug Kennedy wrote:

    > On Wed, 15 Jan 2003 13:34:38 -0600, Bernie wrote:
    >
    > > Hey George, Consider Planet Bike fenders. Mountain Equipment Co-op in Canada sells them for
    > > about $22.00 CAD. They call them "Freddy Fenders", make them for road, hybrid, mountain bikes.
    > > They come in any colour, as long as you like black. Tough flexible plastic, metal mounts and
    > > stays. Full wrap fenders with little rubbery mudflaps. The mudflaps only last about a year if
    > > you ride a lot, but retrofits can be home made from a bleach bottle. Don't know how long the
    > > actual fenders will last, as I have only 2 years experience with them. I did like them enough to
    > > buy a set for my old winter beater ridgid frame mtn bike.
    >
    > If you call Planet Bike they'll send replacement flaps for free. They have a good attachment
    > system and the stainless hardware hasn't rusted at all.
    >
    > > DISCLAIMER: I don't work for MEC or Planet Bike.
    > Nor do I!
    >
    > Doug Kennedy
     
Loading...
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Loading...