Fenders

George Shaffer

Guest
I'm looking to get a set of fenders, and wonder about the quality of the SKS fenders vs. the Zefal
CAB. I haven't had any luck locating some original old steel ones. Also, I'm on 27" x 1 1/8"
tires...will the SKS P35 be suitable, or should I go with Zefal's 42mm (I do run 1 1/4" tires most
of the time).

Wed, 15 Jan 2003 01:26:05 GMT, <[email protected]>, "George
Shaffer" <[email protected]> wrote:

>I'm looking to get a set of fenders, and wonder about the quality of the SKS fenders vs. the Zefal
>CAB. I haven't had any luck locating some original old steel ones. Also, I'm on 27" x 1 1/8"
>tires...will the SKS P35 be suitable, or should I go with Zefal's 42mm (I do run 1 1/4" tires most
>of the time).

The SKS and Zefal fenders I have are comparable in quality. Both fine fenders. 35 is what I run with
1 1/4" tires.

You might want to look at the Planet Bike fenders which can be an outstanding value. They'll soon be
available colours besides black and are a very rugged fender. http://www.planetbike.com/fenders.html
--
zk

"Zoot Katz" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Wed, 15 Jan 2003 01:26:05 GMT, <[email protected]>,
> "George Shaffer" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> >I'm looking to get a set of fenders, and wonder about the quality of the
SKS
> >fenders vs. the Zefal CAB. I haven't had any luck locating some original
old
> >steel ones. Also, I'm on 27" x 1 1/8" tires...will the SKS P35 be
suitable,
> >or should I go with Zefal's 42mm (I do run 1 1/4" tires most of the
time).

> The SKS and Zefal fenders I have are comparable in quality. Both fine fenders. 35 is what I run
> with 1 1/4" tires.
>
> You might want to look at the Planet Bike fenders which can be an outstanding value. They'll soon
> be available colours besides black and are a very rugged fender.
> http://www.planetbike.com/fenders.html
> --
> zk

So Zoot and I agree on something! It looks like the SKS and Zefal fenders are made in the same
plant. The only difference is the number of rivets used to hold the stays to the fender. In fact,
the front fender stay release has SKS stamped on it. I bought the Zefals because they were a bit
cheaper locally and the only SKS fenders available were the worng size. They have been holding up
quite well despite the beating they take at the bike rack.

-Buck

Zoot Katz wrote:

> "George Shaffer" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> >I'm looking to get a set of fenders, and wonder about the quality of the SKS fenders vs. the
> >Zefal CAB. I haven't had any luck locating some original old steel ones. Also, I'm on 27" x 1
> >1/8" tires...will the SKS P35 be suitable, or should I go with Zefal's 42mm (I do run 1 1/4"
> >tires most of the time).
> >
> The SKS and Zefal fenders I have are comparable in quality. Both fine fenders. 35 is what I run
> with 1 1/4" tires.
>
> You might want to look at the Planet Bike fenders which can be an outstanding value. They'll soon
> be available colours besides black and are a very rugged fender.
> http://www.planetbike.com/fenders.html

By all means look at the PlanetBike ones. I run them on my ice bike and they've been much more
rugged than the previous two pairs of SKS, which both cracked.

More rigid in their attachment.

SMH

Just put the Planet Bike road fenders on a Lemond Zurich last night. They seem to be very good
quality both with regard to the fenders themselves and the hardware. Also have SKS on my old cruiser
with 27" tires and they are also very good quality. Not much to distinguish the two brands from a
practical standpoint.

>You might want to look at the Planet Bike fenders which can be an outstanding value.

I have a set of these, I believe they were called Freddy Fenders, best things I've got.

jon isaacs

15 Jan 2003 02:03:03 GMT, <[email protected]>, [email protected]
(Saltytri) wrote:

>Just put the Planet Bike road fenders on a Lemond Zurich last night. They seem to be very good
>quality both with regard to the fenders themselves and the hardware. Also have SKS on my old
>cruiser with 27" tires and they are also very good quality. Not much to distinguish the two brands
>from a practical standpoint.

My Freddy Hard Core were less expensive than the SKS or good Zefal ones. They were readily available
in the size and colour (black) I needed. PlanetBike donates 25% of their profits to bike advocacy.
Those points influenced my purchase but the PB fenders lose no points for quality. All three are
fine fenders. The Euro fenders would score better styling points on a Euro bike.

I used SKS fenders intended for a 700C wheel on my 27" bike. It fits a tad odd around the
circumference though works quite well. I had to grind a notch into the side of it so a dynamo pulley
would clear.

But, I had to do that with the original Esge fender intended for 27" wheels. They were able to
accomodate the wheel, with more clearance at the rear of the tire, when the axle is all the way to
the back of the horizontal drop-outs. With the new fender I move the axle a bit forward. So, if
you've got vertical drop-outs and long chainstays with 27" wheels, you may have to get creative to
fit large tires. Don't forget room for the reflector nuts.
--
zk

George Shaffer wrote:

> I'm looking to get a set of fenders, and wonder about the quality of the SKS fenders vs. the Zefal
> CAB. I haven't had any luck locating some original old steel ones. Also, I'm on 27" x 1 1/8"
> tires...will the SKS P35 be suitable, or should I go with Zefal's 42mm (I do run 1 1/4" tires most
> of the time).

Hey George, Consider Planet Bike fenders. Mountain Equipment Co-op in Canada sells them for about
$22.00 CAD. They call them "Freddy Fenders", make them for road, hybrid, mountain bikes. They come
in any colour, as long as you like black. Tough flexible plastic, metal mounts and stays. Full wrap
fenders with little rubbery mudflaps. The mudflaps only last about a year if you ride a lot, but
retrofits can be home made from a bleach bottle. Don't know how long the actual fenders will last,
as I have only 2 years experience with them. I did like them enough to buy a set for my old winter
beater ridgid frame mtn bike. DISCLAIMER: I don't work for MEC or Planet Bike. I just know they work
Best regards, Bernie

On Wed, 15 Jan 2003 13:34:38 -0600, Bernie wrote:

> Hey George, Consider Planet Bike fenders. Mountain Equipment Co-op in Canada sells them for about
> $22.00 CAD. They call them "Freddy Fenders", make them for road, hybrid, mountain bikes. They come
> in any colour, as long as you like black. Tough flexible plastic, metal mounts and stays. Full
> wrap fenders with little rubbery mudflaps. The mudflaps only last about a year if you ride a lot,
> but retrofits can be home made from a bleach bottle. Don't know how long the actual fenders will
> last, as I have only 2 years experience with them. I did like them enough to buy a set for my old
> winter beater ridgid frame mtn bike.

If you call Planet Bike they'll send replacement flaps for free. They have a good attachment system
and the stainless hardware hasn't rusted at all.

> DISCLAIMER: I don't work for MEC or Planet Bike.
Nor do I!

Doug Kennedy

Looks like all signs point to Freddy. Just got back from Planet bike and kinda like the looks of
them. Thanx for all the advice!

Well thanks for the advice. They have been the best fenders I've ever used. I will look em
up. Bernie