Fenders

BikeBikeBikeBike

May 19, 2015
I want to add fenders to my commuter.
Found two good deals on price point, an Azonic front that looks like a motorcycle style and attaches with zipties and some no-name company (I think it's a Price Points house brand) that's quick release.
I have never used fenders, is it okay to cheap out or is it better to spend the extra coin?

Personally I would go for the cheaper ones and to see how you get on with them and if you like them then get some more expensive ones later on down the line.

Never know though, you might fall in love with the cheapish fenders.

Planet Bike Full coverage. NOT the ones for hybrid or the Cascades. PITA to mount. Depending on what type of commuter either go w/45mm 700c road or 65mm 26" mtb. 30.00 per set. Mine came w/free shipping from ebay.

If you commute on a road bike and like to go fast Raceblades makes a removable full coverage set for around 60.00.

Reactions: BikeBikeBikeBike
Probably better to go for some nicer ones, like SKS.

The nicer ones might fit better, they also have parts available in case you lose a bolt or bridge and some of them also have snap - release if they get clogged with mud or rocks so they won't block the wheels.

SKS raceblades and bluemels are both nice... :)

Volnix said:
Probably better to go for some nicer ones, like SKS.

The nicer ones might fit better, they also have parts available in case you lose a bolt or bridge and some of them also have snap - release if they get clogged with mud or rocks so they won't block the wheels.

SKS raceblades and bluemels are both nice... :)
That's right. Forgot SKS makes Raceblades. I've got a pair on my fg. The old style. They DO help some, but don't keep sludge from one's drive train or calipers. The full coverage RBs look really nice. They mount the same way as the shorter version, yes?

Suggested the PBs as a compromise of price, simplicity, effectiveness and appearance. They REALLY ARE easier to install than the hybrids or the Cascadias. And one is able to procure those cool PB extensions on Amazon for like 5 bucks per set.

welshdude3 said:
That's right. Forgot SKS makes Raceblades. I've got a pair on my fg. The old style. They DO help some, but don't keep sludge from one's drive train or calipers. The full coverage RBs look really nice. They mount the same way as the shorter version, yes?

Suggested the PBs as a compromise of price, simplicity, effectiveness and appearance. They REALLY ARE easier to install than the hybrids or the Cascadias. And one is able to procure those cool PB extensions on Amazon for like 5 bucks per set.
I'm not sure how they are fitted... I was checking fenders some time ago and also noticed that SKS changed the raceblades model too. Some older designs are not sold anymore or something.

Then I decided to -be my own fender!- :D

I wouldn't mind some drive train protection too... ;) But how? Gearhubs and belt chains? :D

I had some chromoplastic ones on a previous bike and they were great. I lost a bridge support and bought one on line. Thus I know that zey sell ze parts.

Maybe Z efal also makes something.

Oh la la! C est manifique!!!

Le 380 grams and Le full coverage. :D

Le no calipers gap. ;D

Zeflop Zsssield :D

shield-r30.jpg

Susimi said:
Personally I would go for the cheaper ones and to see how you get on with them and if you like them then get some more expensive ones later on down the line.

Never know though, you might fall in love with the cheapish fenders.
I have to go with your assessment. Try to go cheap and see how you like them. For the most part the casual cyclist won't know that they are cheap, so who cares. See how you like them, and if it's even worth buying name brand and expensive counterparts. I really don't see a difference in the cheap and name brand stuff these days. It's all about being thrifty.

Good stuff. Got a few items on the shopping list.
CAD/USD exchange is not in my favor right now so I hope the LBS has the few you mentioned at a non outrageous price. At least I am armed with knowledge now!

Cheaper ones should be fine. Fenders are not part of the mechanical function of the bike, so they aren't going to break down on your if they aren't made as well. The worst they might do is not fit well on the wheel and not prevent as much spray as you were hoping to be sheilded from. Fortunately my bike came with fenders, so I haven't had to worry about that, but I consider it a pretty necessary item if you commute year round and ride in the rain very much.

DancingLady said:
The worst they might do is not fit well on the wheel and not prevent as much spray as you were hoping to be sheilded from.
Or they could block the wheel. :D

I really wanted SKS's, but I have a few little projects on the go and I want to buy a house so I am really starting to cheap out (even decided not to get any new bikes for this season, despite my dreams of getting a road bike.)
I was about to just make my own, but I found a crazy deal on CRC for Crud Twinpacs, I think they were around ten bucks (I was $8 away from free shipping when I thought just to look for something on clearance.)
Seem pretty decent, except the front one mounts below the downtube and above the front tire below the fork. It also came with some whack rubber band to mount it, I ended up just using zip ties (my 2nd fave item next to duct tape.)
We'll see if they last all season.

Fenders fatigue and break.

SKS longboards are easy to fit and have excellent coverage but mine lasted one season on just one bike....maybe 5,000 miles total. Not real happy about that.

Honjo or Berthoud make the best fenders but they are expensive.

I'm trying Velo Orange's aluminum fenders at half the price as Honjo's

I've never been one for fenders, since I've always considered them rather geeky-looking. But I guess everyone's tastes are different. I think it's best to go for the cheaper ones and see how you like them. After that, decide whether you want to stick to these, or upgrade.

I've never been one for fenders, since I've always considered them rather geeky-looking. But I guess everyone's tastes are different. I think it's best to go for the cheaper ones and see how you like them. After that, decide whether you want to stick to these, or upgrade.

When I am out on my full fendered bike in nasty weather, two thoughts come to mind. I first notice how comfortable I am and second, how few of the ***** racers are on the road. Both are good things.

Reactions: BikeBikeBikeBike