fennel leaves - freeze or dry?

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by Perfect Tommy, Dec 13, 2005.

  1. I've got some leaves left over from a fennel bulb, but I don't have
    anything to make with them for the time being.

    Would it be better to dry them or freeze them?

    Thanx in advance.

    Tags:

  2. Sheldon

    Sheldon Guest

    Perfect Tommy wrote:
    > I've got some leaves left over from a fennel bulb, but I don't have
    > anything to make with them for the time being.
    >
    > Would it be better to dry them or freeze them?

    Fennel leaves (those feathery fronds) do not dry well, which is why you
    don't find dry fennel leaves for sale... they also don't freeze well.
    Fennel stalks however do dry well, and are nice to place fish on for
    grilling. If you want to have fennel on hand for cooking buy fennel
    seeds.

  3. Doug Kanter

    Doug Kanter Guest

    "Sheldon" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > Perfect Tommy wrote:
    >> I've got some leaves left over from a fennel bulb, but I don't have
    >> anything to make with them for the time being.
    >>
    >> Would it be better to dry them or freeze them?

    > Fennel leaves (those feathery fronds) do not dry well, which is why you
    > don't find dry fennel leaves for sale... they also don't freeze well.
    > Fennel stalks however do dry well, and are nice to place fish on for
    > grilling. If you want to have fennel on hand for cooking buy fennel
    > seeds.

    To add to the idiot's unusually good advice: If you need a delicate infusion
    of fennel flavor, warm the seeds in a neutral tasting oil, like canola, then
    cover and let them sit overnight.

  4. Repeat:

    I have LEAVES (fronds). Not seeds.

    Anyone but the troll have a serious answer?

  5. EastneyEnder

    EastneyEnder Guest

    Perfect Tommy wrote:
    > I have LEAVES (fronds). Not seeds.
    >
    > Anyone but the troll have a serious answer?

    You can try freezing them but they usually disintegrate to a pulp on
    thawing. When dried, the flavour changes and they become very frail and can
    turn to dust. Bulb fennel leaves are IMHO milder in flavour than fennel herb
    leaves.

    Wild fennel herb grows extensively in my area on waste ground and seashore
    and I have experimented with both freezing and drying, before deciding fresh
    is better.

    Bulb fennel is widely on sale here during the winter months.
    --
    Sue in Portsmouth,
    "Old" Hampshire,

  6. Doug Kanter

    Doug Kanter Guest

    "Perfect Tommy" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Repeat:
    >
    > I have LEAVES (fronds). Not seeds.
    >
    > Anyone but the troll have a serious answer?

    Did you read the first response to your question, from Sheldon? What he said
    was correct: Freezing the leaves is not a good idea. Since the time you
    asked the question, you could've tested this with a few leaves - the bad
    results would have been obvious within 12 hours.