fennel leaves - freeze or dry?

Perfect Tommy

Guest
I've got some leaves left over from a fennel bulb, but I don't have
anything to make with them for the time being.

Would it be better to dry them or freeze them?

Thanx in advance.

Perfect Tommy wrote:
> I've got some leaves left over from a fennel bulb, but I don't have
> anything to make with them for the time being.
>
> Would it be better to dry them or freeze them?

Fennel leaves (those feathery fronds) do not dry well, which is why you
don't find dry fennel leaves for sale... they also don't freeze well.
Fennel stalks however do dry well, and are nice to place fish on for
grilling. If you want to have fennel on hand for cooking buy fennel
seeds.

"Sheldon" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> Perfect Tommy wrote:
>> I've got some leaves left over from a fennel bulb, but I don't have
>> anything to make with them for the time being.
>>
>> Would it be better to dry them or freeze them?

> Fennel leaves (those feathery fronds) do not dry well, which is why you
> don't find dry fennel leaves for sale... they also don't freeze well.
> Fennel stalks however do dry well, and are nice to place fish on for
> grilling. If you want to have fennel on hand for cooking buy fennel
> seeds.

To add to the idiot's unusually good advice: If you need a delicate infusion
of fennel flavor, warm the seeds in a neutral tasting oil, like canola, then
cover and let them sit overnight.

Repeat:

I have LEAVES (fronds). Not seeds.

Anyone but the troll have a serious answer?

Perfect Tommy wrote:
> I have LEAVES (fronds). Not seeds.
>
> Anyone but the troll have a serious answer?

You can try freezing them but they usually disintegrate to a pulp on
thawing. When dried, the flavour changes and they become very frail and can
turn to dust. Bulb fennel leaves are IMHO milder in flavour than fennel herb
leaves.

Wild fennel herb grows extensively in my area on waste ground and seashore
and I have experimented with both freezing and drying, before deciding fresh
is better.

Bulb fennel is widely on sale here during the winter months.
--
Sue in Portsmouth,
"Old" Hampshire,

"Perfect Tommy" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Repeat:
>
> I have LEAVES (fronds). Not seeds.
>
> Anyone but the troll have a serious answer?

Did you read the first response to your question, from Sheldon? What he said
was correct: Freezing the leaves is not a good idea. Since the time you
asked the question, you could've tested this with a few leaves - the bad
results would have been obvious within 12 hours.