Ferrari makes interesting reading

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Stewart Fleming, Jul 24, 2003.

  1. Three separate comments, paraphrased from his cyclingnews.com diary: (My additional comments in
    parentheses)

    1. Servais Knaven sustained over 50kph for 20 minutes, including the final 15km in 17:54 (50.3kph)
    in his stage win. (At the Sydney round of the World Cup in May this year, the 15km scratch race
    on the _track_ was run off in 18 minutes flat.)

    2. Tyler Hamilton sustained 46.2kph for the last (hilly) 64km in his stage win. (With a double
    fracture of the collarbone.)

    3. Lance Armstrong managed 46.9kph in the ITT. (Having lost 7kg of body weight due to dehydration.)

    While Hamilton lost only just over 2 minutes to Armstrong (who claims not to have been at 100%),
    Knaven lost 7 minutes in the first ITT. I can accept that Knaven might not have been riding at 100%
    due to team orders in the TT.

    Ferrari says "Endurance-skilled and 'classy' athletes...are still capable of excellent
    performances." Indeed.

    Tags:

  2. Ken Papai

    Ken Papai Guest

    "Stewart Fleming" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Three separate comments, paraphrased from his cyclingnews.com diary: (My additional comments in
    > parentheses)
    >
    > 1. Servais Knaven sustained over 50kph for 20 minutes, including the final 15km in 17:54
    > (50.3kph) in his stage win. (At the Sydney round of the World Cup in May this year, the 15km
    > scratch race on the _track_ was run off in 18 minutes flat.)
    >
    > 2. Tyler Hamilton sustained 46.2kph for the last (hilly) 64km in his stage win. (With a double
    > fracture of the collarbone.)
    >
    > 3. Lance Armstrong managed 46.9kph in the ITT. (Having lost 7kg of body weight due to
    > dehydration.)
    >
    > While Hamilton lost only just over 2 minutes to Armstrong (who claims not to have been at 100%),
    > Knaven lost 7 minutes in the first ITT. I can accept that Knaven might not have been riding at
    > 100% due to team orders in the TT.
    >
    > Ferrari says "Endurance-skilled and 'classy' athletes...are still capable of excellent
    > performances." Indeed.

    Dr. Mofe,

    NOTHING brings out the greatest in racers than the Tour de France. It's the pinnacle. It's really
    that simple.

    -Ken