Ferritin reveals systemic fat content

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by [email protected], Dec 6, 2005.

  1. http://www.medwire-news.md/news/service.aspx?k=40&id=39660

    Ferritin reveals systemic fat content
    Diabetes Care 2005; 28: 2486-2491

    In what they say is a research first, Japanese clinicians have shown
    that serum levels of ferritin indicate systemic fat content and insulin
    resistance.

    Serum ferritin levels, which indicate the level of iron stored in the
    body, are known to relate to fasting plasma glucose and insulin
    concentrations.

    Noting that body fat distribution is also linked with insulin
    sensitivity, Tomoyuki Iwasaki (Yokohama City University Graduate School
    of Medicine) and team hypothesized that ferritin levels, adiposity, and
    insulin sensitivity might all be related.

    To test their idea, they used computed tomography to measure visceral
    fat area (VFA) and subcutaneous fat area (SFA) in 248 Japanese
    individuals, 140 of whom had Type 2 diabetes, and the remainder of whom
    were generally healthy.

    To eliminate the possibility of the results being affected by the
    presence of fatty liver disease, individuals with a history of
    abnormally high alcohol intake were excluded from the study.

    The scientists then showed that increased serum ferritin concentrations
    were significantly correlated with increased VFA, SFA, and hepatic fat
    content, as well as insulin sensitivity.

    Of note, the authors found a significant relationship between serum
    ferritin concentrations and the liver spleen ratio, which measures
    hepatic fat content, only in patients with diabetes.

    Speculating on the mechanisms behind the links they describe, the
    investigators explain: "Increased iron stores in the liver are
    postulated to induce liver-mediated insulin resistance, with a reduced
    ability of insulin to suppress hepatic glucose production."

    "Serum ferritin levels have been reported previously to be associated
    with decreased insulin sensitivity and increased fasting plasma insulin
    and glucose levels. These abnormalities might lead to increased
    adiposity," they continue.

    The team therefore concludes: "Measurement of the serum ferritin
    concentration may be a highly useful non-invasive and cost-effective
    test for the assessment of the fat distribution and degree of insulin
    resistance."

    Who loves ya.
    Tom

    Jesus Was A Vegetarian!
    http://jesuswasavegetarian.7h.com

    Man Is A Herbivore!
    http://pages.ivillage.com/ironjustice/manisaherbivore

    DEAD PEOPLE WALKING

  2. Guest

    Just thinking of a good meal of braised liver and onions with a side of
    spinach.
    SS

    <[email protected]>
    wrote in message
    > Ferritin reveals systemic fat content
    > Diabetes Care 2005; 28: 2486-2491

    <<<<<SNIPPPPP>>>>>>

    > Who loves ya.
    > Tom

  3. Just Cocky

    Just Cocky Guest

    On Tue, 6 Dec 2005 11:43:49 -0600, <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Just thinking of a good meal of braised liver and onions with a side of
    >spinach.

    Spinach!? For what?

  4. Duane

    Duane Guest

    Sounds good. I thought I was in heaven once when I had fried egg plant
    stuffed with melted pepper jack cheese wrapped in thinly sliced pan sheared
    Proscuito (seasoned Italian ham. Or is that Pork?). What is the difference
    between ham and pork? Is it in where the cut is made and how it is cured?
    Anyway it was the first time I had Prosciuto and *gawd* it was good! ((o:

    Kris

    ---------------------------SS said-----------------------------

    Just thinking of a good meal of braised liver and onions with a side of
    spinach.
    SS

  5. Guest

    Along with the liver it is another good source of dietary iron.
    SS

    "Just Cocky"
    wrote in message

    > Spinach!? For what?

  6. I'll pass on the liver but I have been gorging on elk. :) Elk steak.
    Elk stew. Elk stir fry. Elk burger. Elk roast. Can ya tell my husband
    got an elk??? LOL!

  7. Just Cocky

    Just Cocky Guest

  8. Guest

    OK, then just because it is good, Sauté lightly in olive oil with garlic
    and scramble with eggs. Top with finely diced prosciutto and freshly grated
    parmesan cheese.
    SS

    news:[email protected]