Ferritin reveals systemic fat content

http://www.medwire-news.md/news/service.aspx?k=40&id=39660

Ferritin reveals systemic fat content
Diabetes Care 2005; 28: 2486-2491

In what they say is a research first, Japanese clinicians have shown
that serum levels of ferritin indicate systemic fat content and insulin
resistance.

Serum ferritin levels, which indicate the level of iron stored in the
body, are known to relate to fasting plasma glucose and insulin
concentrations.

Noting that body fat distribution is also linked with insulin
sensitivity, Tomoyuki Iwasaki (Yokohama City University Graduate School
of Medicine) and team hypothesized that ferritin levels, adiposity, and
insulin sensitivity might all be related.

To test their idea, they used computed tomography to measure visceral
fat area (VFA) and subcutaneous fat area (SFA) in 248 Japanese
individuals, 140 of whom had Type 2 diabetes, and the remainder of whom
were generally healthy.

To eliminate the possibility of the results being affected by the
presence of fatty liver disease, individuals with a history of
abnormally high alcohol intake were excluded from the study.

The scientists then showed that increased serum ferritin concentrations
were significantly correlated with increased VFA, SFA, and hepatic fat
content, as well as insulin sensitivity.

Of note, the authors found a significant relationship between serum
ferritin concentrations and the liver spleen ratio, which measures
hepatic fat content, only in patients with diabetes.

Speculating on the mechanisms behind the links they describe, the
investigators explain: "Increased iron stores in the liver are
postulated to induce liver-mediated insulin resistance, with a reduced
ability of insulin to suppress hepatic glucose production."

"Serum ferritin levels have been reported previously to be associated
with decreased insulin sensitivity and increased fasting plasma insulin
and glucose levels. These abnormalities might lead to increased
adiposity," they continue.

The team therefore concludes: "Measurement of the serum ferritin
concentration may be a highly useful non-invasive and cost-effective
test for the assessment of the fat distribution and degree of insulin
resistance."

Who loves ya.
Tom

Jesus Was A Vegetarian!
http://jesuswasavegetarian.7h.com

Man Is A Herbivore!
http://pages.ivillage.com/ironjustice/manisaherbivore

DEAD PEOPLE WALKING

Just thinking of a good meal of braised liver and onions with a side of
spinach.
SS

<[email protected]>
wrote in message
> Ferritin reveals systemic fat content
> Diabetes Care 2005; 28: 2486-2491

<<<<<SNIPPPPP>>>>>>

On Tue, 6 Dec 2005 11:43:49 -0600, <[email protected]> wrote:

>Just thinking of a good meal of braised liver and onions with a side of
>spinach.

Spinach!? For what?

Sounds good. I thought I was in heaven once when I had fried egg plant
stuffed with melted pepper jack cheese wrapped in thinly sliced pan sheared
Proscuito (seasoned Italian ham. Or is that Pork?). What is the difference
between ham and pork? Is it in where the cut is made and how it is cured?
Anyway it was the first time I had Prosciuto and *gawd* it was good! ((o:

Kris

---------------------------SS said-----------------------------

Just thinking of a good meal of braised liver and onions with a side of
spinach.
SS

Along with the liver it is another good source of dietary iron.
SS

"Just Cocky"
wrote in message

> Spinach!? For what?

I'll pass on the liver but I have been gorging on elk. :) Elk steak.
Elk stew. Elk stir fry. Elk burger. Elk roast. Can ya tell my husband
got an elk??? LOL!