Ferrules needed at brake lever?

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Jeff, May 26, 2003.

  1. Jeff

    Jeff Guest

    Is a ferrule a good or bad idea where the brake cable meets the lever?

    Shimano 105 brake levers, not STI, just brake levers.

    Tags:

  2. "Jeff" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > Is a ferrule a good or bad idea where the brake cable meets the lever?
    >
    > Shimano 105 brake levers, not STI, just brake levers.

    I thought it a good idea till I tried it. The casing didn't seem to fit there as well as it did
    without it. They work fine without it.

  3. Pete Geurds

    Pete Geurds Guest

    If the casing is a tight fit than isn't the hole in the component serving the same function as the
    ferrule? OTOH: Ferrules seem to make adjusters easier to turn since it's a metal on metal contact
    rather than soft plastic on metal.

    Pete Geurds Douglassville, PA

  4. Jeff

    Jeff Guest

    Answered my own question today. Michael, I had the same experience as you.

    Brake performance was awful, cable friction was way too high. I dismantled and found the ferrules
    inside the brake levers prevented solid cable seating.

    Removed ferrules, brakes are AOK.

    "Michael Pearlman" <[email protected]> wrote
    > "Jeff" <[email protected]> wrote > > Is a ferrule a good or bad
    idea where the brake cable meets the lever?

    > > Shimano 105 brake levers, not STI, just brake levers.
    >
    > I thought it a good idea till I tried it. The casing didn't seem to fit there as well as it did
    > without it. They work fine without it.

  5. Well, this may be overkill, but I like to have something at every housing interface. It prevents the
    ends from getting messed up and causing unnecessary cable friction.

    But that's JMO

  6. On Sat, 31 May 2003 22:34:06 -0400 (EDT), [email protected] (Chris Zacho "The Wheelman") wrote:

    >Well, this may be overkill, but I like to have something at every housing interface. It prevents
    >the ends from getting messed up and causing unnecessary cable friction.

    Why aren't there special ferrules for "narrow ends", which have a wide end the cable slots into and
    a slightly narrower end where they go into the place designed for ferrule-less cable?

    Jasper