ferry crossing to France - where from?

Mark Zielinski

Guest
Hi,

We\'d like to cycle across France in May. I thought about crossing from Newhaven to Dieppe (nice
countryside both parts of the channel). They told me on the phone (amused) they don\'t carry foot
passangers/cyclists on that route, good bye! ouch:(

Does anyone know which route/service takes cyclists on board (Folkstone - Bolougne?) and generally
any tips on where/when to cross and not get ripped off plus have a good start in France? (we only
want single crossing, will be flying back from France as you can\'t take bikes on the trains, so
good-bye tgv and eurostar :(

regards,

marek

That doesnt sound right to me unless you called the company that runs the freight only service. Who
did you call? In May the Fast Hoverspeed ferry will be running and I have done that crossing many
times with my bike. I would call them and ask. One you get to Dieppe dont follow the signs from the
ferry port as they are for cars and point to the ring road. Follow the signs for the town centre.
Have a look around becuse its a nice place & then if you are heading south take the D154 its a
lovely quiet road. All The Best

Stan Cox "Mark Zielinski" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:19%[email protected]...
> Hi,
>
> We\'d like to cycle across France in May. I thought about crossing from Newhaven to Dieppe (nice
> countryside both parts of the channel). They told me on the phone (amused) they don\'t carry foot
> passangers/cyclists on that route, good bye! ouch:(
>
> Does anyone know which route/service takes cyclists on board (Folkstone - Bolougne?) and generally
> any tips on where/when to cross and not get ripped off plus have a good start in France? (we only
> want single crossing, will be flying back from France as you can\'t take bikes on the trains, so
> good-bye tgv and eurostar :(
>
> regards,
>
> marek

"Mark Zielinski" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:19%[email protected]...
> Hi,
>
> We\'d like to cycle across France in May. I thought about crossing from Newhaven to Dieppe (nice
> countryside both parts of the channel). They told me on the phone (amused) they don\'t carry foot
> passangers/cyclists on that route, good bye! ouch:(
>
> Does anyone know which route/service takes cyclists on board (Folkstone - Bolougne?) and generally
> any tips on where/when to cross and not get ripped off plus have a good start in France? (we only
> want single crossing, will be flying back from France as you can\'t take bikes on the trains, so
> good-bye tgv and eurostar :(
>
> regards,
>
> marek

> I would check that again. I have used the Newhaven Dieppe route many times
with no problem. Prices vary according to time of year and particular crossings - ie the most
convenient time of day

You are right about the countryside on both sides of the channel. You will notice a different in the
traffic levels and the consideration of the drivers though! Take any D road out of Dieppe. You
really can't go wrong in that part of France.

When you say 'across France' where do you mean exactly? If you give me a general idea of where you
want to head (eg circlar, point to point) I can give you an idea on where to head.

Cliff

"Clifford Griffiths" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

sorry about that delay. I'm struggling... OK, the cycle-unfriendly info I got from the site/phone No
below. http://www.cross-channel-ferries-france.co.uk/newhaven-dieppe-ferries.shtml I haven't had
time to "investigate" further http://www.hoverspeed.co.uk/news_and_info/newhaven_dieppe.asp
http://www.ferrycrossings-uk.co.uk/ferry-crossings-newhaven-dieppe.htm

but I will, perhaps this weekend. As to the plans, we'll want to depart around mid May, either train
to Newhaven, or cycle (at least the last 20 or so miles). Ferry (if possible). Then France. Er...
this idea came up two years ago during my climbing trip to Chamonix France by bike/back roads in May
would be worth it. So we'd like to cross France ending in Nice starting from Dieppe or Bolougne, do
no more than 30-40 miles a day (I CAN'T alienate my girlfriend ;)and on the way or nearby, stop at
some "tourist attractions" - architecture, etc. But I'm mostly keen to enjoy the countryside -
woodland, rivers, and back roads. I reckon it'll take us up to three weeks, unfortunately we'll
probably have to fly back home for our weekend jobs. So we'll need to figure out the route around

"marek@plusnet" <[email protected]> wrote in message
. So we'll need to figure out the route around ... that would give us a chance to fly back half-way
(probably buzzaway or ryanair) - from Dijon/Reims or Poitiers/Limoges/Bergerac/LaRochelle area.
I'm still concerned we'll need more time than just two weeks of unrushed cycling. Three would be
fine,but flying back to London TWICE would be a little too much. We'd like to end up in Nice,
since ryanair have got cheap flights from there. Although I'd love to take TGV (bikes no problem,
once packed, they say), I don't think I have time/patience with the route back, hence Nice>fly
back home. So that's THE plan, and what really comes out of it... we'll see ;)

btw, sorry for broken post, it was meant to be put in a draft, until tea time :)

marek